It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian doctor finds a way to treat nine patients with one ventilator .

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I love this story.

Dr. Alain Gauthier has discovered a way to treat nine patient with one ventilator . The best part outside of saving lives . Is guess where he came up with the idea ?

Yup the same place many of us go to when we need a little mechanical help. YouTube if YouTube can help you fix your car why the hell not medical equipment. Lol

To get the most out of the ventilators at his hospital, Dr. Alain Gauthier, an anesthetist at the Perth and Smiths Falls District Hospital in Ontario, rigged one of the ventilators so it could serve up to nine people.
The hack was shared online by a fellow physician, who called him an "evil genius."

Not to be outdone Italian doctors have discovered a way to turn ordinary scuba gear into ventilators.

In just three hours, Cristian Fracassi and Alessandro Romaioli, engineers at Isinnova, created a prototype for a 3-D printed valve that successfully converts the scuba gear into a ventilator mask.
The mask tested successfully in an Italian hospital so the engineers have made the 3-D valve plans available to everyone for free.

The whole world can criticize but the doers improvise

Source

Source

Source

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:00 PM
link   
AVE to the rescue...

Brilliant mind.
edit on 4/4/2020 by scubagravy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

Necessity is the mother of invention

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: scubagravy

I don’t know if I’ll ever use the term yankee ingenuity ever again now it’s global ingenuity .

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I always wondered why ventilators where designed for one person use. I guess go carts where designed by the some logic.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: SeektoUnderstand

exactly what i was going to say!

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Fantastic, love seeing people adapt and improve when the old way isn't working.

Someone get that man a second beer...

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 07:05 AM
link   

This is great but are the machines made to service more than one person? I know very little about them only what I've seen on the internet and was shown a demonstration on the news but other than that surely it cannot work for 9 people?

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Dwoodward85

The machines are made to service one person at a time. The innovation enabled one machine to be able to service 9 people.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

But those 9 need to be similar in #'s of their vitals...and require the same amount of O2 roughly to be able to share

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dwoodward85

This is great but are the machines made to service more than one person? I know very little about them only what I've seen on the internet and was shown a demonstration on the news but other than that surely it cannot work for 9 people?

They are made for one person. They have settings which need to be tailored to individual patients. This means 9 people are all forced to the same setting, which is less than ideal. In these circumstances, it's worth the risk. If one patient has a change in status though, you can not change the settings to meet their new requirements possibly.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Dwoodward85

I saw a news clip on CNN where a doctor in New York City said they could service two patients and one ventilator .

Never say never

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlackOops
I always wondered why ventilators where designed for one person use. I guess go carts where designed by the some logic.

Because they are specialized equipment with settings that need to be tailored to an individual patients needs. They are not a one size fits all set it and go piece of equipment.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlackOops

speaking from experience i can tell you that just small changes can make you feel like you're suffocating or it can make your lungs tired or it can even hurt your lungs, so while i can see this working, if one patient suddenly has a problem that requires a big change it could kill everyone on the system if that person isn't removed.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Now we just need 20 million ventilators.

top topics

join