It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Distancing and Unintended Consequences

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Hmmm...maybe this information helps solve the tp conundrum.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

There's definitely a plethora of unintended consequences, although I'd say the people crowding up together is just an unintemded consequence of idiocy. The handicapped situation though - everyone is trying to adjust, and these store managers and workers I'm sure have their heads spinning right now.

Oh, I'm not blaming the stores... perhaps I should have been clearer. I am blaming the idiocy of any so-called 'leader' who is so blind as to think that such draconian policies would prove anything like fruitful.

The stores are doing the best they can under circumstances that are forced upon them.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: BoscoMoney

This social distancing thing aint hard when you've been doing it for a good portion of your life.

Yeah, I was a hermit back when hermits weren't cool, myself.

TheRedneck

Same here...look at us unintentional trend setters lol

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

You actually believe China is telling the truth about their body count?

🤔

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: edaced4

It's not essential to life and even the argument as food is not in their favor.

Beer, wine and liquor aren't essential either, but try telling the bulk of the country that AND the people selling it. They'd strongly disagree.

Especially in our state, man. Threaten a Michigander's beer supply, and it's on like Donkey Kong.

That right there put 100% put it in perspective for me. I gotta have my beer and my smokes...

Again I do apologize if I have downplayed anyone's needs...

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:17 PM
link   

a reply to: Nyiah

Close a meijer or Walmart.....I triple dog dare you!

All they had to do was cancel Tulip Time. Who knew canceling that would cause such a venomous uproar? Put the kibosh on the festival beer & Dutch food, and people get surly. Good thing they didn't do this during Oktoberfest

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:19 PM
link   

What percent have been tested? What percent have been infected?

Do you think that 2.73 percent number is accurate given the margin of error with missing numbers?

No, I am going on the official figures of the moment.

By far, the number of infected is rising at an astronomical rate within the US. The vast majority of those people are in the early stages. They won't die until 17 days later. Most of them who will die, know they have the virus, but don't know that they will die. Neither do the authorities know who loses this awful lottery.

From Italian figures, where they are just starting to see a turnaround in the infectious run of the virus, the death rate is probably more like what is to be expected in the US. It is 12.29%.

edit on 4/4/2020 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

originally posted by: ketsuko

I'm awful lively for someone who may already have had it, so you tell me which is preferable right now.

In the US, the 2.73% of those who contract the virus, die from its complications.

Just because someone may have survived crossing a busy road once, doesn't mean that it is wise for everyone run out into traffic.

2.73% of those who are tested for it you mean. There is no way to know for sure what the numbers really are because not everyone who has it gets tested for it. We already know that one. In fact, we seem to find more cases after people have died from it than we find before they die because they test so many posthumously. That is an exaggeration, but not without a grain of truth. It's almost easier to get tested if you die.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: continuousThunder

burn down with your house? do you really, honestly think that's the intention?
do you genuinely think there's no way to work out individual accomodations for people's needs?

Here's what I think: you're too lazy to click a link. I linked the official pdf document that is now in effect , direct from the Office of the Governor of the State of Alabama, but apparently you couldn't be bothered to press a button on your mouse.

I will not do you the service of quoting what you can so easily access, but I will point out that exceptions are made for such allowances, but then specifically prohibited for those with a positive test. Now, I think I have pointed out in the very title that I consider these to be unintentional consequences (I said it in the title for cryin' out loud), but somehow you missed that.

As for "working out individual accomodations," that is what one does when a business creates a policy... when the government creates a law, that is the law! There is no working out anything; it is written down and enacted and enforced. That's the definition of a law. Violation is specified to incur a fine of up to $500.00. So if a person who has tested positive for WuFlu leaves their home for any reason other than emergency medical treatment, they are guilty of violating the written law and can be fined $500.00.

That's not what I say... read the damn law!

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:24 PM
link   

12.29 of known infected.

I'm not saying it isn't serious or precautions shouldn't be taken.

I'm saying you and the media cant tout these numbers as fact.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:29 PM
link   
This is how we in the UK and Europe have been living the last 2-3 weeks. The rules changed on Friday and its now a 6ft minimum distance

Most supermarkets now have perspex screens up for cashiers and there are marks on the floor to follow one way only usually. The queues look horrendous but usually go fairly quickly, its a case of 1 out 1 in and provided folk don't bugger about it works reasonably well. Most supermarkets also have "no browsing" policy its get yer stuff and sod off. Its certainly giving the security guards something to do

The smaller shops that have been allowed to stay open, many have moved their counters to the doorway so no-one actually enters the shop and the owner/assistant gets the customers stuff. My town's little pet shop has done that but is only open 3hrs a day now and there are no more shops open in the town now.

Here's how we Brits queue quietly and calmly....we do love our queues!

That queue goes all the way around the car park to the entrance in the distance the queues are worse now as the Government has increased the distance to 6ft

you have to keep at least one line behind other shoppers everyone in single file and its only one way round the supermarket so if you forget something you have to go out then queue to go back in!

Queuing at the checkout again its now 6ft distance so you can imagine if they were letting more shoppers in it would be chaos so we grin & bear it...for now

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

My son is saying the exact same thing to me... my daughter called and asked if I was self-isolating, to which I replied "No more than usual." I'm far less worried about this WuFlu than I am the stoopid virus which is apparently much more contagious and far more permanent than WuFlu ever dreamed of.

Long story short: she's coming; he's not... at least not until "this blows over." which it looks like could be never. I tried to explain to him that he has never seen me knocked down by any virus or sickness (the heart stuff was just me trying desperately to kill myself), and that sooner or later everyone would be exposed... but he doesn't listen to the old man any more.

That story breaks my heart, but at least I know I'm not going anywhere for a while. I can take solace in that.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:43 PM
link   

So you consider these items to be essential??

Yes, I do.

How do you know I don't need these items to repair my home? If you read the order (why does no one have the strength to click a mouse button?), you will see that these products are specified as an "essential product." If you think they are not, perhaps you should send Governor Kay Ivey a message; I already have and the witch didn't' respond. I'm sure she will come election time, though. I just doubt by then I will respond to her.

It's not the store's fault that these people weren't practicing "social distancing".

I never said it was. However, it should be obvious that people when in line outside are not going to leave a 6 foot space between them and the person in front of them, because if they do someone else will jump ahead of them.

My point is that the order creates a line by necessity and thus creates a condition that is antithetical to social distancing which it intends to promote.

For this I do apologize.

Spare me. If all you can see are the politically correct parts, you're too blind to apologize. And I will get what I need tomorrow, by curbside delivery thanks to the store recognizing the problem, without having to get out of my car. I'm grateful to the store for that service. As a matter of fact, I may continue to use it even if/when the national insanity brings it's bearing on the next crisis to come down the pike.

I am curious, though: if you don't think the products in your store should be "essential," why do you work there when you should be home self-isolating?

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Muninn

You actually believe China is telling the truth about their body count?

🤔

Does it matter?

We now have other countries that are coming out from the exponential infections phase. It does look like China was under reporting. But their turn-around in new infection numbers seems real enough. Perhaps because their reaction was so unreasonably harsh.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Thank you both. When I said it was "nothing major," I was saying that it wasn't like I needed a cart-load of merchandise that was going to require a flatbed truck to transport home. I keep a stock of lumber here to make repairs and have all the lumber I need, but I was short on fasteners.

if people must know, I am building a table to mount my new planer. I have about 400 board feet of cured red oak lumber from a tree that fell some years back, and I need that lumber planed down to make a table to hold my 3D printer... you know, the same kind of 3D printer that can be and is being used to make ventilator parts and some PPE? It can also make parts for various projects I work on to help people in other ways.

But, some people think that I should just stop all that apparently. I sure hope no one making PPE needs any hardware... we'd just be out of luck!

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:52 PM
link   

If you're that scared, go home.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Who's been calling McDonald's "food"? Isn't that like, slander or something?

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Apology accepted.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

I'm awful lively for someone who may already have had it, so you tell me which is preferable right now.

In the US, the 2.73% of those who contract the virus, die from its complications.

Just because someone may have survived crossing a busy road once, doesn't mean that it is wise for everyone run out into traffic.

2.73% of those who are tested for it you mean. There is no way to know for sure what the numbers really are because not everyone who has it gets tested for it. We already know that one. In fact, we seem to find more cases after people have died from it than we find before they die because they test so many posthumously. That is an exaggeration, but not without a grain of truth. It's almost easier to get tested if you die.

If people have the symptoms really badly, and are dying of pneumonia, my guess is that it would be fairly pointless to test for the virus at that stage, but I suppose the scientists and epidemiologists could find those figures useful. At that stage, they have to treat the pneumonia, regardless of its source.

The following is from the CDC's COVID-19 website:
* Data include both confirmed and presumptive positive cases of COVID-19 reported to CDC or tested at CDC since January 21, 2020, with the exception of testing results for persons repatriated to the United States from Wuhan, China and Japan. State and local public health departments are now testing and publicly reporting their cases. In the event of a discrepancy between CDC cases and cases reported by state and local public health officials, data reported by states should be considered the most up to date.

So, I would suspect that the numbers may include some false positives and also exclude some who may have the virus but are unreported. Our knowledge is less than perfect, but none the less, we have these figures to work with.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Yeah. This thread seems as good as anywhere, so here goes

Besides unintended domestic abuse as abhorrent as it is I’ve been lamenting sorely, woefully, the lack of human interaction, more importantly what I seem to understand as experience. Especially for the the younger crowd.

We can talk markets, gas prices, closed bars, theaters, our favorite restaurants. Friends. Lack thereof. “9 meals”
But the lack of experiencing the milestones in this life. A first flirtatious puppy love, Prom, Drivers License, Opening Day for your team, all the youth sporting events and social excursions, exams, your first nibble of cotton candy or being voted for something, graduations, etc. that are part and parcel of the human experience. These are now bygones. For now anyway.
There is no better or worse. No denial or “Susie Danced with Billy and now I’m sad” no growing up....so on so forth. There is nothing because the experience and loss of it is profound. Like the Nothing in the Never-Ending Story
Yes one could counter there are other experiences being had. This is true. But would you want that for yourself in your youth or your family’s? Someone else or theirs’?

My point is this; it’s all a bit much to take into consideration. But don’t get what’s being lost also “just” as being lost in the shuffle. Now is the time to enjoy the moments that are afforded i suppose, and not dwell on what isn’t. Kinda feel like a D here as I’m self-isolating by myself, and it’d be wonderful just to have someone near

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join