It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet ATLAS C/2019 Y4 (04/04/20)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Do you think an 8" dobsonian reflector would do it?... haven't busted it out in a while is such a pain in the ass to lug around, probably needs some collimation too.

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 10:38 AM
link   

edit on 4/6/2020 by MrBlaq because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: ZombieWoof
That is the concern. What affect will it have on earth. Will anything hit us. Will the proximity cause earth changes.

At its closest approach to Earth on May 23, it will still be 72 million miles (116.8 million km) away. That's almost three times as far away as the closest Venus gets to Earth, and is about the same as the closest distance between Earth and the planet Mercury.

So it will be far enough away that there should be no noticeable effect on Earth.

In addition, Earth will not cross the comet's orbit. The comet is approaching from above the ecliptic plane of the solar system (the imaginary disk on which the planets generally orbit) and will pass through and under the ecliptic plane away from the orbital path of Earth.

edit on 4/6/2020 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Grenade

Will be pestering Intergalactic fire for tips, really impressed with your work pal. Can you send link to your other stuff please?

Yeah sure, fire away. Glad to help where I can.
First thing you have to ask yourself is do I want to do visual or astrophotography.
For astrophotography, planetary, deep space or just wide field like milky way?
Next up is what budget do I want to spend. First you'll have to look into tracking mounts which can be seen as the foundation of the whole setup.
A good base will save you headaches along the road.
Next are the optics and imaging device, dslr or astro dedicated ccd/cmos, refractor, reflector are the best for imaging.
Next are the "gadgets", guiding setup, software and hardware(laptop, pc), remotes, viewfinder,...

Damn that wasn't the kind of fishing I had in mind, nice!
Long time ago I did a few sessions with a fishing boat but nowadays it's just some snorkeling and occasional spearfishing. A lot more relaxing I have to say.
edit on 6-4-2020 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 11:27 AM
link   

When I was a kid I did some deep-sea fishing out of San Diego with an uncle. I think they were going for tuna but I could be wrong. It was a blast and I'll never forget it.

I took my son and daughter "deep-sea fishing" out of Newport a few years ago. Bad weather crashed the party and we didn't get out beyond sight of land. With a week's vacation, we just couldn't go back.

Anyway, that's how I want to retire.

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 01:51 PM
link   
This reminds me of Hale-Bopp from back in 1997. I was 8 and it blew my mind.
23 years ago in April, and this will make it's closest approach to us on May 23.
reply to: intergalactic fire

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Some of you may find this interesting.

Professor Simon who is a science film maker has a great Youtube channel and made a film about the work done in Hawaii and also helped me understand why the comet was named what it is.

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Seems like we need a new doom scenario.

Possible Disintegration of Comet C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS)

We report the possible disintegration of comet C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS), revealed by the public monitoring program carried out by the 0.6-m Ningbo Education Xinjiang Telescope (NEXT). Images taken on UT 2020 April 5.6-5.9 showed an elongated pseudo-nucleus measuring about 3 arcsec in length and aligned with the axis of the tail, a morphology consistent with a sudden decline or cessation of dust production, as would be expected from a major disruption of the nucleus.

C/2019 Y4 ATLAS - confirmation of nuclear change

edit on 6-4-2020 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire
Does that mean its going to break apart, what does this mean??

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Itll probably just fade to nothing.

Or break apart and then fade to nothing.

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 05:02 PM
link   

It means that the nucleus has likely broken into smaller fragments. It means that we probably won't get a nice comet in the sky.

I wasn't too excited about it in the first place. I had already curbed my enthusiasm.

edit on 4/6/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 05:37 PM
link   
oh well, at least we got nice pictures from the OP! Keep on sky watching my friend, we love these images.

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

Am I the only that thinks that is just Adam Savage in disguise? Oooh or maybe him from the Fuuuuuture!

LOL

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: abeverage

Did he lose his dental coverage?

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: abeverage
a reply to: nerbot

Am I the only that thinks that is just Adam Savage in disguise? Oooh or maybe him from the Fuuuuuture!

LOL

Yes, i think it's just you. lol,

He seems like a really nice chap. Haven't met him (yet) but he also lives here in France not too far from me.

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 07:18 PM
link   

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEautiful! thanks for this! Awesome

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Astrophotography, deep space ideally.

Right now i live near London, so the light pollution would be a problem. However, as soon as my kid finishes school i'm moving back to Scotland and plan to buy my own farmhouse in what would be considered a Dark Sky region, so should be perfect viewing conditions (Scottish weather permitting).

As a result i'd like to future proof and get the major expenses out of the way.

Budget, i'd be willing to spend around £5000 total, i already have a powerful laptop and PC so can take those out of the cost.

Thanks for any help and recommendations.

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Amazing photos. Super jealous I need to get a better tripod for my 130mm it's too damn shakey.

At least we can see a tail
that's a good sign it's not coming straight at us

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 08:07 PM
link   

It's probably just separating the smaller ships from the mothership like in independence day...

posted on Apr, 6 2020 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Ok, you're clearly an expert.

I've only been sea fishing a few times and around Scotland all i seem to catch is Mackerel and the odd Sea Trout.

It was something i did with my Grandad when i was younger and as i get older i find myself enjoying the peace and quiet more than actually catching anything. I'm trying to teach my son as well, keep it as a family tradition. Scottish Lochs are generally full of Trout which you can either bait and fish on the bottom or use a fly rod which is much more engaging and rewarding. I also have a box of old trout flies which my Grandad crafted / collected. It's actually quite an art picking the right fly for the conditions.

That's absolutely crazy, my record is like 6lb rainbow trout, i can only imagine the fight you get from a fish that size.

Although i have caught 15lb carp in the river Trent and the trout put up much more of a fight despite the size. Same with Pike, they tend not to give up easily.

Maybe one day ill get to fight a monster.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join