It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

G11 Being Scrapped?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
According to this website:

www.hkpro.com...'

Towards the bottom of the site it says:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Suffice it to say that a number of factors caused the demise of the G11. The reason most often given is the reunification of Germany, and the attendant lack of desire for the West German government to purchase this new rifle at this uncertain time. Some say it never worked right. No matter what, the G11 represents what the collective minds of a small group of engineers are capable of. It seems to foretell the future of small arms design, which with but a few improvements lately has reached a creative plateau. Could this be the future of small arms? Could caseless become commonplace? Caseless ammunition in the Voere sporting rifle is already a reality and available for the consumer. Or is the G11 doomed to be one of the late, great 'almost' technologies that will be replaced by the amplified light and LASER weapons now being developed?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was wondering wether anyone else had any information regarding the G11 being cancelled for production or further R&D. I don't understand why they would scrap such an advanced weapon, it's got so many advantages over modern assault rifles...

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   
The German governement canceled the G11 program ages ago, and equipped their armed forces with the G36 instead. Apparently it qorked fine, but their were politcal issues that lead to it never getting anywhere.
(I read this in Jane's small arms)

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
German military policy is hard to understand, I guess the main reason was our #ty government, and their crappy opinions...

Main reasons were:

1. end of cold war (no need anymore for this frontline assault rifle)
2. costs (costs of reunification / costs of the weapon itself)
3. the kind of ammonation, which was a political problem..

well, germany bought later the G36 instead..

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I love the G-36, one of my favorite assault rifles
besides the AKM atleast.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Thanks for the input guys, I guess the G36K does out perform the G11 in some ways, but still there is no assault rifle out there like the G11.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Godfather of Conspira
Thanks for the input guys, I guess the G36K does out perform the G11 in some ways, but still there is no assault rifle out there like the G11.

well, G36k...

the k stands for "Kurz" (short)

its just one of the G36's, germany has...

we have:

MG36(instead we will use the HK MG43(bundeswehr name: MG4) as standard light machine rifle), G36, G36k, G36c, G36A2, G36A2k, G36A2c, G36V, G36KV

MG43(MG4):

[edit on 13-3-2005 by Wodan]

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 06:33 AM
link   
When were at it you forgot the G36E (export version), lacking one of the advanced sights. Anyway, the G11 was never intended to come into use, it was sort of a test prototype whether it was possible to build a conventional rifle that exceeded the existing ones by far. And rather more important was the development of the caseless ammo by Nobel and HK.

It has too many drawbacks for a widespread use, for example that it is too bulky and has a way too different technology. But still it is great to know that my precious German Guns rule anything out there (120mm L55 smoothbore, PzH2000, most HK rifles, Mauser RMK 30mm cannon and so on...) *runs off hiding in flame bunker*

[edit on 18-3-2005 by Lonestar24]

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lonestar24
When were at it you forgot the G36E (export version), lacking one of the advanced sights. Anyway, the G11 was never intended to come into use, it was sort of a test prototype whether it was possible to build a conventional rifle that exceeded the existing ones by far. And rather more important was the development of the caseless ammo by Nobel and HK.

It has too many drawbacks for a widespread use, for example that it is too bulky and has a way too different technology. But still it is great to know that my precious German Guns rule anything out there (120mm L55 smoothbore, PzH2000, most HK rifles, Mauser RMK 30mm cannon and so on...) *runs off hiding in flame bunker*

[edit on 18-3-2005 by Lonestar24]

well.. as we speak about the german armed forces, I dont see the need to mention the G36E

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
The L55S is an improved version of the L55 isn't it? it's used on the Swedish STRV-122, a Leopard 2A6 with improved armor and improved gun, and how is the L55 compared to the L30, The Challenger II's rifled gun?

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I am actually glad that the G11 isnt being used. .308 is such a more effective cartridge, even .223 is more effective. I really dislike the trend to smaller, faster bullets, when a .308, .243Winchester, 6.5x55swedish, or .223 is perfectly capable of penetrating. Really, even .223 is just based on .222, a varmint cartridge never intended for use on humans.It has no advantages besides less recoil than .308, but so does .243, and .243 has better ballistics. Would a .17 or so bullet like the g11 uses be really that effective on people? I'd rather have a M1 garand or M14. It would be so simple to convert the M14's to .243, as .243 is just .308 necked down.
I'll stop talking gibberish and let you decide for yourselfs.

new topics

top topics

join