It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multi Band Radio Receiver

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I am going to upgrading my radio and have been looking at them on the internet. I would like to be able to tune in everything I can. I want at least: AM, FM, SW, UHF, VHF and Air.

Does anyone know any other bands I should be looking for. There are some really low cost multi band radios on eBay. Of course they are from China. I want to try to and buy one made in the US or at least not from China.

I think there is a possibility we could loose Internet, TV, Phone. Think how fun sheltering in place would be if one or all of them went down. Even if it's only a bad snowstorm or thunderstorm. A radio always comes in handy.

I would appreciate any advice on the best ones to get.

edit on 3-4-2020 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

I recently purchased the Kaito KA500 Voyager handcrank radio. AM/FM/Shortwave. It has a solar panel and USB charger with flashlights and all sorts of nerdy crap. Pretty neat little thing. I'd recommend it.

ETA: it probably doesn't have all the bands you want, but I've found those were hard to come by. Perhaps this thread will help me as much as you.
edit on 3-4-2020 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 07:44 PM
link   

You have it pretty much covered but be aware that VHF and higher frequencies are line of sight. They don't bounce, except off the Moon maybe. Longer range communications using them requires repeaters, which are still line of sight.

Shortwave is the most fun to monitor.
edit on 4/3/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Of the cheapo china ones Baofeng has a big following and are good radios for the money.
40 to 50 dollars for a complete setup, but if your looking for decent range you need to upgrade the antenna.

If your looking for something to survive a suvival situation though you'll likely be happier with a higher end professional unit. The baofengs won't hold up to rough use for very long. Also be aware they broadcast on ham channels and a few other frequencies that require fcc bribes to keep legal.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage
Of the cheapo china ones Baofeng has a big following and are good radios for the money.
40 to 50 dollars for a complete setup, but if your looking for decent range you need to upgrade the antenna.

If your looking for something to survive a suvival situation though you'll likely be happier with a higher end professional unit. The baofengs won't hold up to rough use for very long. Also be aware they broadcast on ham channels and a few other frequencies that require fcc bribes to keep legal.

True conspiracy theorists don't need antennae. Their tinfoil hats work just fine.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I have a decent portable Chinese multi band receiver in my bug out box. It cost about $125. A used 2-way short wave radio might be nice, so you could talk to others, instead of just listening
edit on 3-4-2020 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

Thanks for the reply. I will check out the Kaito KA500. I saw a few hand crank radios and am thinking of maybe getting one also, for a backup. If you can't find batteries the extra bands won't do you any good.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

Along with a ham license, in that case.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

You have it pretty much covered but be aware that VHF and higher frequencies are line of sight. They don't bounce, except off the Moon maybe. Longer range communications using them requires repeaters, which are still line of sight.

Shortwave is the most fun to monitor.

Shortwave may end up being one of the most useful for news and info if the SHTF.

What about the MW and LW, I think it was.

Thanks for the info.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 07:55 PM
link   
The Kaito probably has rechargeable batteries in it.

I keep all sizes of rechargeable batteries on hand

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 07:57 PM
link   

I'm not sure what you're referring to.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Wow, only 50 bucks and you can broadcast. I will have to look at that, thanks.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 07:58 PM
link   

I doubt the agencies will be checking, in a SHTF scenereo

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 07:59 PM
link   

In that case you should also look into this:
www.arrl.org...

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem

I doubt the agencies will be checking, in a SHTF scenereo

Yeah. But it looks more like the OP is interested in a hobby.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: sine.nomine

True conspiracy theorists don't need antennae. Their tinfoil hats work just fine.

Dude. Don't be giving away our secrets lol. Now all the regular folks will know that we weren't actually trying to block signals, but tune into those signals.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
I have a decent portable Chinese multi band receiver in my bug out box. It cost about $125. A used 2-way short wave radio might be nice, so you could talk to others, instead of just listening

Have you ever tried it out?

Yes, it really would be nice to be able to talk to others. Then you can ask questions and help others with your local info.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 08:05 PM
link   

I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Here are the specs on one.

Specifications: Radio Bands:
FM 87.5 - 108MHz
MW 522 - 1620kHz / 520 - 1710 kHz
SW 1711 - 29,999kHz
LW 150 - 450kHz
AIR 118 - 137kHz
Batteries: 4 x AA (not included) Weight: 253g (Excluding Batteries) Dimensions: 150(W) x 95(H) x 30(D)mm
link

edit on 3-4-2020 by LookingAtMars because: fix mess

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Then you can ask questions and help others with your local info.
That is one of the most important aspects of amateur radio. Communications militia, as it were.
www.arrl.org...

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 08:09 PM
link   

MW 522 - 1620kH
That's AM radio. You know what that's like.

LW 150 - 450kHz
Amateur bands mostly, I think. Ham chatter. Packet communications.

edit on 4/3/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join