It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's talk about education

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Dear Parents

If our kids see us use a tool that we always hide and even lockaway so they might not be able to use it, we should not be surprised if such behavior has repercussions once they get hold of the tool.
I might even say it's our own fault!
Let me elaborate.

Unfortunately

The curiosity of a kid will drive it to this tool, sooner or later it will get to know where we have the keys, or what the code is.
Now we have to improve the locks.
So
We create an arms race, between our kids trying to get the tool and us trying to improve the locks.

Sure there are tools that they couldn't even lift, up to a certain age. But once they can, we should learn them the proper ways to deal with it. Start with small tasks.
Learn them the dangers and the benefits.

Not improve the locks.

If we are affraid they brake the tool but no one can get hurt, just let them play under guidance, as soon as possible. They wont have the physical power to brake it and by the time they have, they masterd the tool to wield it properly.
And still # happens and stuff breaks.

If it is a tool that could be a danger to ourself or any body elses, we have two options either hide and lock it away until we deem them fit. but some never grow up.
And once they open the lock and find out how the tool Work they will use it, they will have the power but not the skills to wield it properly and they can be a danger to themselves and anybody else.

or we teach them from early on how things work and they learn little by little. by the time they have the power to lift it they have already all the skills they need to wield it, without being a danger to them or anybody else.

Yet there are tools that hold so much power in so little space a a baby could lift and use it without a problem. Best not to have them around, or face the consequences when they get hold of it.

Parents *shakes head, goes back to his new tool

Sincerely NC

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Say what?!

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Euphemism, get it?

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

Euphemmmm say what?

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: NoConspiracy

You are talking about guns, right?

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Agree entirely (though "break" is the word you were looking for several times, not "brake.") My kids have grown up with there being zero mystique surrounding the various tools I own. They're presently both more skilled with them than a lot of professionals are.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 05:29 PM
link   

I'm talking about tools! Like, hammer, chisel, saw, drill, chainsaw, lawnmower, bolt guns, guns, grenades, bombs, mind control, brainwashing, time machines.

What ever you choose to be concerned with, is non of my business.

Maybe parable is more fitting?

Sincerely NC

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Well done sir.
They will surpass you anytime, make sure not to stand in their way when they do!

Sincerely NC

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I agree, it's better to teach them gradually, especially in regards to 'dangerous tools'. Confining them to ignorance isn't so wise if they're going to encounter said 'tools' eventually. It's always been your job as a parent to prepare your child for the world they're going to live in, unfortunately, most parents have outsourced that responsibility. If you refuse to teach your child anything, they will learn from someone/something else, or worse, bitter experience. I'm not against locking 'tools' up, a three year old has no business playing in an unlocked gunsafe... However, if you teach him about that gun early you won't ever have to worry about him accidentally shooting his little brother.

Your kids are supposed to be a continuation of your legacy... and I've known parents who never grew up themselves, intentionally sabotaging the development of their children, as if they see them as a threat to themselves. One day, you'll be old and weak and your children will be young and strong. If you didn't care about your child, your child may not care about you.

edit on 3-4-2020 by IredBafi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses
a reply to: schuyler

Euphemism, get it?

Euphemism for what? Later OP seems to be saying it's for any tool, including hammers. Well, Okay, I guess. I don't happen to find the issue particularly elucidating myself.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoConspiracy

I'm talking about tools! Like, hammer, chisel, saw, drill, chainsaw, lawnmower, bolt guns, guns, grenades, bombs, mind control, brainwashing, time machines.

Be honest. I'm pretty sure you didn't mean 12 out of 13 of those things. How many people keep simple tools like hammers, chisels, or even saws under lock and key for safety purposes? It is uncommon, I think, so irrelevant to your original argument.

Maybe parable is more fitting?

This not a parable. It is euphemism because you are replacing one word ("guns") with another, more neutral word ("tools"). I do not have a problem with guns, on the whole, and in fact I wholeheartedly agree that education is paramount in households where firearms are present, but I find it disingenuous to try to make guns appear equivalent to simple, everyday tools. It is evasive rhetoric. Some may call that a form of brainwashing.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 06:11 PM
link   

but I find it disingenuous to try to make guns appear equivalent to simple, everyday tools. It is evasive rhetoric. Some may call that a form of brainwashing.

Every weapon can be a tool and every tool a weapon. It's about who is holding it and what they're doing with it.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I agree.

My father was a cop. He used to clean his service weapon at the kitchen table.

I remember when I was maybe 7 or 8 years old, he sat me down. Took his gun out (unloaded of course) and basically told me to play with it. Of course, my mom at the time was like WTF?

However, my dad's logic was sound. He basically said he wanted to get rid of any curiosity I may have had about guns. By letting me hold it at such a young age, there was nothing exciting about finding a gun around the house. I viewed the gun like a hammer. He literally used to leave it out on the coffee table. At no point did I ever feel like I need to pick up a gun and play with it. I knew it could be dangerous and wasn't a toy, but I also knew it was an inanimate object and not to be feared.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: IredBafi

Fair.

But all things considered, a revolver is still more dangerous than a nutcracker.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 06:43 PM
link   

My kid used to play with hammer, axes, knives and saws when it could barely walk. you should have seen the fear in the eyes of some parents, seing a 2 year old toddler lifting an axe. I'm pretty shure although they don't lock these tools away they would take it from the toddler.
Sure he hurt himself, but he doesn't had the strength to make it a serious wound. A little cut, at worst a black nail.

Once there was a kid that was 5 years old for visit. Mine was 2, and he was playing with a normal but sharp table knive cutting bread. Pretending to cut slices

There are no slices just crumbs but he's having fun playing with knives since a couple of month, normally he goes with branches peeling the barch, but we were eating and there was bread and a knive...
Fun Game i don't know?
the other kid askes his mother if he gets a knive too, and she sais no, to dangerous.
Now this kid was educated so he doesn't just take away the knife from my kid, but waits till he lost interest, gets the knive and starts to cut bread full force, low and behold 1min later he cuts himself in the finger quite deep.

Doesn't matter where one stands in their evolution the fundamental concept is always the same.
Hence parable.

Sincerely NC

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 07:05 PM
link   

You are talking about guns, right?

This is definitely about turkey basters.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

My mistake

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 02:14 AM
link   
To get it clear I'm not permitted to have guns where i live never had a gun and never will.

There are tools far more dangerous than guns.

Never say never.

Sincerely NC

join