It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Arrested For Paddleboarding In Malibu ALL BY HIMSELF

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 01:44 PM
link   
The paddleboarder was arrested for Disobeying a Lifeguard 17.12.115 LACC and Violation of Government Code 8665.

Lifeguards told the guy to get out of the water and the guy refused, continuing to paddleboard for an additional 30-40 minutes.

A paddleboarder was arrested in Malibu Thursday after ignoring lifeguards' orders to get out of the ocean amid social distancing rules, authorities said.

Deputies summoned their patrol boat from Marina Del Rey, and the man swam to shore once it arrived, officials said.

He was subsequently arrested on suspicion of disobeying a lifeguard and violating Gov. Gavin Newsom's stay at home order, a misdemeanor.

ktla.com...

What about those on the beach filming the incident? Weren't they violating the stay at home order too? Oh, I guess it's OK for some outdoor recreation, as long as you're not in the ocean.

Let us take a look at Gov. Gavin Newsom's stay at home order regarding outdoor recreation:

covid19.ca.gov...

IMO, this is an authoritative overreach by law enforcement.
Gavin's social distancing order states that people can still take a walk around the block for exercise, or walk their dog, as long as they adhere to a safe social distance of 6 feet.
There's NOBODY around this paddleboarder, so isn't he practicing social distancing, by being 6 feet away from other people?
So why didn't the lifeguard give this guy a break?
Didn't law enforcement put this guy at risk by putting themselves in close proximity of him?
Why aren't the same amount of resources and energy expended on actual violent crime committed in Malibu?
Will people start getting fined or arrested if they're less than 6 feet from another person if they're out in public, or at a store?
Authoritative overreach? You betcha and it's starting to happen around the country: Residents in Laredo, Texas, who do not cover their mouth and nose with a mask or other make-shift device could face a $1,000 fine as the coronavirus continues to spread.

If you want to check out this waste of manpower and money over something so trivial, here ya go:

edit on 4/3/2020 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Kalifornia. It's all you need to know about this story.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

I played blast beats on my drum set-I'm a health hazard i must be arrested!

for noise pollution of course, my lunatic neighbors drive me nuts, its time to reciprocate, this action is just alarmist.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I already posted elsewhere ...

It's for the sharks, man! We don't know anything about COVID! What if he infects the sharks and wipes them out?! /hysteric busybody

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 02:54 PM
link   
What in the heck are they afraid we are going to see, being outside?

This is getting ridiculous.

Maybe the dang virus can just jump off us, ride the wind, and infect people miles away. That is how they are treating us for pete's sake.

Enough.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 03:00 PM
link   

He should have left the water and went somewhere a lifeguard wasnt on duty.

The lifeguard is liable should the swimmer drown. There are times when lifeguards can close the water down over dangerous conditions that would require them to risk themselves and others saving you should you need the help.

I recommend no one pretend like you dont have to listen to authority. Lifeguard called the cops. The F did the swimmer expect? That the lifeguard would just accept a new sheriff in town?

GTF out of here with that. Find an empty part of the beach WITH NO LIFEGUARDS, genius.

edit on 3-4-2020 by HelloboysImbackguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: HelloboysImbackguy

There were no lifeguards on the beach....ANYWHERE. The guy was reported by someone who saw him and a lifeguard boat was sent to force the guy to shore.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 03:18 PM
link   

A paddleboarder was arrested in Malibu Thursday after ignoring lifeguards' orders to get out of the ocean amid social distancing rules, authorities said.

So he was ordered out by a lifeguard who didnt just roll out of bed to specifically ruin the guys swim.

He was on duty. And however the lifeguard was alerted to a swimmer in his water, he ordered him out.

Its HIS ass not the swimmers. The same person "snitching " on the swimmer would tell cops that a lifeguard didnt save someone who was drowning

Added-
The boat belonged to the PD.

Deputies summoned their patrol boat from Marina Del Rey, and the man swam to shore once it arrived, officials said.

If he had listened to a lifeguard he wouldnt have had to listen to a cop
edit on 3-4-2020 by HelloboysImbackguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Whilst not exactly the same Police in the UK were "Public shaming" people using drones for walking their dogs miles away from anybody, also people walking in outdoor isolation had a swift talk from Police officers.

www.theguardian.com...

It did not not seem to matter that folks justified their actions stating "exercise or walking a dog in these areas was far safer than doing so on a busy road where infection could spread". And it is this fact that I am concerned.

"IF" it was only about health concerns then obviously being away from people is by far the best thing one can do, sadly I am starting to feel that for a majority of western powers it is simply about "control" and how the public will submit or else...

edit on 3-4-2020 by Petra137 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I already posted elsewhere ...

It's for the sharks, man! We don't know anything about COVID! What if he infects the sharks and wipes them out?! /hysteric busybody

Check this out from LA Times. It’s at the end of the article about the paddle boarder being arrested.
LA Times

Kim Prather, a leading atmospheric chemist at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, told The Times this week that she fears SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, could enter coastal waters and transfer back into the air along the coast.

“I wouldn’t go in the water if you paid me $1 million right now,” she said.

Virus can live in the water? And can participate in the evaporation process? Viral Rain?
edit on 3-4-2020 by Observationalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Observationalist

I hope she's wrong, because that's messed up.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Police in America going overboard..who'd of thunk.

Good thing he didn't have a bunch of cash on him.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 05:47 PM
link   
In your OP you asked this question , "So why didn't the lifeguard give this guy a break?"
Also in your OP you answered that question , " after ignoring lifeguards' orders to get out of the ocean "

If the swimmer would have listened to the lifeguards and gotten out of the water then the story ends.

I know personal accountability and ownership have no place in the real world right?
edit on 3-4-2020 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

We should ignore policemen and others with law enforcement powers whenever we don't like what they say.

Not a good plan, in general.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Observationalist

There is no god damm way in hell

The salt alone would kill it than the bleach and the uv radiation

I got a phone call to make to be shure

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

We should ignore policemen and others with law enforcement powers whenever we don't like what they say.

Not a good plan, in general.

Then we should act all amazed when a person has to pay the consequences of ignoring those things you listed.

Makes the a little better.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 06:02 PM
link   
If he was ordered out, he should have complied.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Looking to past topics, there have been those who have said, in effect, "ignore the police and pay the consequences."

("Hands up. Don't shoot?")

Recently that sentiment seems to have changed. Interesting. Now it's ok to disobey the authorities. Some of the same guys? Interesting.

If the guy had gotten out of the water it would have been the end of it.

edit on 4/3/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 06:08 PM
link   

I know personal accountability and ownership have no place in the real world right?

Personal accountability on what exactly?

Did you read Newsom's stay at home order regarding outdoor recreation?

There was NO ONE around this guy...he was practicing social distancing. He was all by himself, getting some exercise when someone snitched on him.

Personal accountability is all good when you knowingly did something wrong and own up to it.

Show me a law that the paddleboarder broke that required the lifeguards to tell him to get out of the water.

The guy was defiant because he was probably pissed that he was being harassed over NOTHING.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 06:10 PM
link   

He broke this law.

Disobeying a Lifeguard 17.12.115 LACC and Violation of Government Code 8665, apparently.
edit on 4/3/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3  4 >>

join