It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Sonic Boom Recorded in Florida

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 07:17 AM
link   
The USGS has recorded a Sonic Boom today that was felt from Clearwater to Tampa in Florida. The Sonic Boom was recorded at a depth of 5.0 kilometres at a distance of 330 kilometres northwest of Miami Florida. Sonic booms are caused by the sudden onset and subsequent release of pressure after build up by a shock wave or over pressure.

neic.usgs.gov
Saturday, March 12, 2005 at 00:41:55 (UTC) - Coordinated Universal Time
Friday, March 11, 2005 at 07:41:55 PM local time at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
Location 27.95N 82.46W
Depth 5.0 kilometers
Region SONIC BOOM NR TAMPA, FLORIDA

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Not much information is available at this time on the Tampa Sonic Boom and it's causes which at this time is not attributed to the space shuttle, the usual cause of sonic booms in the state of Florida.

Aircraft travelling through the sound barrier realease a sonic boom as captured in the links below by photgraphers. Many believe top secret military projects are also responsible for many of the Sonic Booms felt on the planet at this time.

Seismic Sonic Booms are a very rare and unusual event and seem to be a signal that pressure is building up in the earths mantle and letting go in a dramatic way. When looked at in comparison with the increased activity of earthquakes and volcanic eruptions at the moment it gives thought to wonder why it is not making mainstream news.
antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov
www.sky-flash.com
www.sonicbooms.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Possibe HAARP use on Columbia?

[edit on 12-3-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Can there be any certainty that it was a legitimate sonic boom? I can't think of anything on that side of the state that would be responsible for one, not ever the space shuttle. (Those booms are usually on the east coast aren't they?) Thoughit is my understanding that any military jet flying to fast and too low can cause one.

Opps, forgot to read the original source before posting. Sorry, please forgive me if the answer is there. I will do it now

Edit: Now I am really confused, I thought the term sonic boom was for events in the atmosphere, not underground and the link is giving the impression this boom originated below ground. Anyone care to re-educate me on this?

[edit on 3/12/2005 by Relentless]

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Usually the normal and popular sonic booms are recorded from aircraft and the space shuttle.

A ship took off three hours earlier from what I can gather at cape canaveral but that would not have caused this boom. The boom was recorded at a depth of 5 kilometres. This was not an aircraft Sonic Boom. The links in the article give some information to Sonic Booms and include aircraft booms and fantastic pictures.

This sonic boom seems to have been a super pressure build up underground. it was felt over a large distance and is very unusual.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Not to sure about HAARP,
but this could be top secret aircraft being tested in the air. Ill get looking on the wires to see what i can find

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I am very uneducated in this....why is this a news worthy thing? I was born and raised in Daytona Beach and I heard huge booming sounds often as kid...people always said someone broke the speed of sound, true or not I have no idea....as I said, I am not educated in this area. Enlighten me?

[edit on 3/12/2005 by LadyV]

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV

I am not very uneducated in this....why is this a news worthy thing? I was born and raised in Daytona Beach and I heard huge booming sounds often as kid...people always said someone broke the speed of sound, true or not I have no idea....as I said, I am not educated in this area. Enlighten me?

I think its against the law, to have a sonic boom over land. There is someting with it, I forget.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Well they're saying it was 5km underground... hard to be flying faster than the speed of sound down there. Watch St Helens today.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
Well they're saying it was 5km underground... hard to be flying faster than the speed of sound down there. Watch St Helens today.

It was felt that far down, from the sky.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

No, it was centered 5km underground in the Tampa / St. Pete area.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

No, it was centered 5km underground in the Tampa / St. Pete area.

I stand corrected.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet
~snip~
Seismic Sonic Booms are a very rare and unusual event and seem to be a signal that pressure is building up in the earths mantle and letting go in a dramatic way. When looked at in comparison with the increased activity of earthquakes and volcanic eruptions at the moment it gives thought to wonder why it is not making mainstream news.
~snip~

[edit on 12-3-2005 by Mayet]

I may be missing something here, but I can't find much reference to an event called "seismic sonic boom". The closest thing I found on first pass is this:

www.100megsfree4.com...

So shallow earthquake or cave collapse perhaps.

Everything else seems to be related to seismic detection of sonic booms where I found a reference to a sonic boom detected in the area before Flight 93 came down , I make no claims to the legitimacy of this and expect that its probably been discussed here before.
Flight 93 smoking gun
Anyone find anything on "seismic sonic booms"??

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Saturday, March 12, 2005 at 00:41:55 (UTC) - Coordinated Universal Time
Friday, March 11, 2005 at 07:41:55 PM local time at epicenter

Well, this is kind of weird. I'm in Shanghai, China and yesterday morning, March 12 at about 8-9am, I heard a massive rumbling boom which I thought was thunder. I went outside to look and it was a normal, smoggy day. No thunderclouds in sight. There were no repeats. I dismissed the event from my mind until I saw this post. Shanghai time is UTC/GMT +8, which would have made the event between 12am - 1am UTC, the same time, globally, as the event described above.

Edit: Chinese military aircraft are not allowed near Shanghai, and there were no reports of the event in the local media.

[edit on 2005/3/12 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Great find Mayet. ...and interesting detail wecomeinpeace.

The updates on this one will be telling, no doubt. Hopefully, whatever pressure needed to be released was released. Or else things could get a bit rocky.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I still don't buy the "sonic boom" terminology on this, on the other hand I am unaware of anything suspect that could cause something like this underground in this area.

Anyone getting anymore on this?

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Quick! Someone check Icke's website. Maybe They're tunneling again. Tunneling...always tunnelling...tunneling... ...

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Well i can believe it, if earthquake lights earthquake.usgs.gov... can happen, then im sure sonic booms aren't out of the question either, interesting that wecomeinpeace noticed the same thing about the same time, possibly suggesting it was a global event? Yeah like someone said here, be on the watchout for further developments.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
According to the link this "earthquake" was directly under downtown Tampa. Macdill AFB isn't too far away. Probably won't hear much more about this.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Ok guys, i live in clearwater and i heard and felt the sonic boom yesterday. It was caused by 2 f-16's comign off the water after doing a training mission over the gulf. The came in hot and a little too fast and both of them boomed over Tampa Bay. The local news did a report on it last night at 11pm. I witnessed them coming over my neighborhood, 2 F-16's with extra fuel drop tanks and no armament. Flying in a staggered formation, at roughly 15,000 feet im guessing. The flew out of Panama City, north of Tampa and were conducting flight tests in the gulf, only to fly into Mac Dill. Which brought them over my neighborhood. As for why the seismic registry, i can only say that the boom was highly significant. what do you expect from 2 planes booming in at the same time? Just my 2 cents..hope it helps/settles something.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Ok guys, i live in clearwater and i heard and felt the sonic boom yesterday. It was caused by 2 f-16's comign off the water after doing a training mission over the gulf. The came in hot and a little too fast and both of them boomed over Tampa Bay. The local news did a report on it last night at 11pm. I witnessed them coming over my neighborhood, 2 F-16's with extra fuel drop tanks and no armament. Flying in a staggered formation, at roughly 15,000 feet im guessing. The flew out of Panama City, north of Tampa and were conducting flight tests in the gulf, only to fly into Mac Dill. Which brought them over my neighborhood. As for why the seismic registry, i can only say that the boom was highly significant. what do you expect from 2 planes booming in at the same time? Just my 2 cents..hope it helps/settles something.

That may well be so, but why are the USGS reporting it as havin a DEPTH of 5km? I am sure they would not report it like they have, if it was caused by 2 F-16's.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Posted on Sat, Mar. 12, 2005
BRIAN HAAS
Herald Staff Writer

MANATEE - Sonic booms startled residents Friday evening across the county as two Navy fighter jets streaked toward MacDill Air Force Base in Tampa.

The booms were caused by two Navy F-18 Hornets flying from Pensacola, said 2nd Lt. Larry van der Oord at MacDill Air Force Base. The two jets landed around 8 p.m. and the booms could be heard from Citrus to Manatee counties.

The F-18 is a twin-engine jet, and I know it is a fast jet and very capable of breaking the sound barrier," he said. "They (residents) shouldn't worry, everything is fine."

Emergency dispatchers in Manatee County also received calls from residents reporting the boom. The jets are scheduled to leave possibly by Sunday, so more booms are possible.

The shaking registered on the U.S. Geological Survey seismograph in Orlando, measuring 2.7 on the Richter Scale, the equivalent of a very weak earthquake. Central Florida is not an active earthquake area, said USGS duty officer Madeleine Zirbes. "They did see it register," Zirbes said from Denver, Colo. "They thought immediately that it could be a sonic boom."

Two Navy jets cause sonic booms, surprise residents

Case Closed. Or is it?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join