It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How a Police State is Born

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+38 more 
posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 10:00 AM
link   
www.americanthinker.com...

The United States and much of the western world, by utilizing the most draconian of tactics, is plunging many nations into potential economic and societal chaos as they attempt to stem the tide of the Chinese Coronavirus. Relying on dubious and error-prone projections, politicians and bureaucrats constitutionally or statutorily limited in their power, are now exercising near-dictatorial authority in their edicts, which are effectively suspending or terminating numerous freedoms under the guise of protecting their respective nations.

If you fine folks are tired of reading what we say, perhaps this article might assist in clarifying.

This is what a police state is like. It is a nation in which the government can issue orders and edicts or convey preferences with no legal authority. Yet, it appears the majority of the American people are willing to sacrifice their freedoms and way of life in order to empower such a potential police state in the guise of conquering a pandemic. Governments never give up power once attained. They only seek to normalize it and now they have in their toolbox the knowledge that the citizenry will meekly acquiesce to any national emergency being declared an existential crisis which requires government to unconstitutionally impose its will on the people.

Bold is mine.

Government now knows how far they can go.

Common sense is missing from our nation. Practical approaches to contagions and infections have been repeatedly ignored.

We listened to politicians only 3 weeks ago telling us to congregate and ignore the potential spread of the virus.

We still listen to the same politicians denounce leadership for not taking actions soon enough.

We need to stop listening and blindly obeying our political officials.

We need to be practical, calm, reasoned and rational, since they obviously aren't.

We need to be vigilant especially now, because they will not relinquish the authority they have over us because this virus will not be going away.

It may be years before our herd immunity negates the China virus to nothing more than an annoying cold. Until then, will we be a nation that blindly obeys the edicts laid down by a government drunk on it's new control.

Is that the future you all want?

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Governments never give up power once attained.

during WWII - the UK enacted the " emergency pwers [ defence ] act - 1939 "

it has since been repealed

so - as you was saying ................................

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

If you are fine with it, then good for you.

Some of us aren't fine with it.

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Yeah, not real thrilled with the "show me your papers" going on here in MI, when you get pulled over. Friends son just got pulled over this morning. A lot of Farmers haven't given their workers the "Paper". He got a warning, and told he could get a large fine next time. (He works at a farm, and was heading there when it happened)

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Unfortunately DB, the old saying holds true for many...

"They take for granted what they have until they lose it."

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 10:21 AM
link   

The federal government (so far) is wisely allowing the states to make their own decisions as far as shelter in place and lockdowns for specific areas.

Will these states attempt to stretch their rules past what's reasonable? I believe that Florida banned vacation rentals for a certain period of time, and some states are monitoring traffic coming into their states from certain hot zones line the NY/NJ area.

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 10:21 AM
link   
The next step will be to limit the type of information allowed to be disseminated to the masses.

And those malcontents spreading unapproved "propaganda" will be guilty of sedition and dealt with accordingly.

edit on 1-4-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 10:22 AM
link   
But why? So China can be in charge? It just makes no sense to trash an entire system. And no way on earth could you get all these countries to agree on the same thing.

IF, elections are postponed, THEN I will start calling foul. I am not happy with shutting down business though. No way the ends justify the means with that nonsense. I dont see how we dont avoid a worldwide depression.

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 10:26 AM
link   

oh joy - you did not actually address what i said

you made an absolutist statement - that was obviously flawed - i gave an example

for the record - i am not " fine " - with some of the powers now inplace in the UK - both N19COVID and others

but i do have an obvious question -

would you have opposed the motorcar act 1903 [ when introduced ] - if so why - if not why not ???

the world changes - and both citizenry and govt must adapt

there were zero rules or regumations on the " internet " - or any analogue of it - when i was born - we has serveral now - some i agree with some i disagree with

now many laws governing the internet - do you think we should have - a number or " some " // " none " - only answer please

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Any laws that infringes upon the rights of the individual are wrong, in my opinion.

Before you jump down my throat, let me remind you that individuals do NOT have a right to infringe upon other individuals.

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 10:36 AM
link   

the "right" to murder people - springs to mind - do you opine there should be no laws prohibiting my " right " to kill you ???

and before you reply - do not even attempt to use " consequenses of action "

everything has consequences

your " freedoms " claims - makes any civil society utterly impossible

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

the "right" to murder people - springs to mind - do you opine there should be no laws prohibiting my " right " to kill you ???

and before you reply - do not even attempt to use " consequenses of action "

everything has consequences

your " freedoms " claims - makes any civil society utterly impossible

*sigh*

Obviously you didn't read.

"Before you jump down my throat, let me remind you that individuals do NOT have a right to infringe upon other individuals. "

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 10:40 AM
link   

I get your OP; government tends to over reach.

However, although I havent had the time to thoroughly research the matter, my guess is that during times of previous public health emergencies, the goverment has invoked emergency powers. I recall my parents talking about the Polio quarentines in the years before they had the vaccine.

The good thing we have got going for us is that once this emergency has passed, We the People can take behavior to stop any prolonged over reach if we arent dead. If we are dead, none of it matters anyway.

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 10:41 AM
link   

i did read it - and under your " schema " - i can actually prevent you from almost any action - simply by claiming some " right " - that your act will infinge on

you cannot have it both ways

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

The problem is that (if ATS is any indication) it's a small minority of people like myself that are deeply disturbed by this.

Most are happy with the over-reach.

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 10:45 AM
link   

who has the " right " - to abstract water from a river ??

if i am above you - can i take all i want - even to the point - there is none for you

or does your right to water - trump mine - if you have a right to " some " water - then i dont have the right - to as much water as i want

whoes " rights " are infringed ?

see - your sechema does not work in the real world

ETA - all above edited for clarity
edit on 1-4-2020 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 10:46 AM
link   

You'll probably find this video quite disturbing. I'm not sure how bad the restrictions are in the US but in Australia we're no longer allowed to leave the house for any non-essential reason. Despite a total of only 21 deaths in Australia so far we face fines for going outside. These new measures started yesterday and the police used these new powers to take a very heavy handed approach which is being widely criticized and forced them to dial it back. Just check out this video:

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 10:47 AM
link   

I'm having a difficult time understanding your posts.

I might have a fever, be patient.

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

It's not just the US then.

Sorry to hear that.

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

who has the " right " - to abstract water from a river ??

if i am above you - can i take all i want - even to the point - there is none for you

or does your right to water - trump mine - if you have a right to " some " water - then i dont have the right - to as much water as i want

whoes " rights " are infringed ?

see - your sechema does not work in the real world

ETA - all above edited for clarity

If you understood our constitution and bill of rights, you would understand what he is saying, but since you have neither read nor understand these documents, the argument is moot. He will not be able to answer to your satisfaction, because there is no frame of reference for you.
edit on 4/1/2020 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join