It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Boise Idaho

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: mzinga

It is not showing on my map at all. It was there, one big red dot, now it is gone.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Alchemst7

Felt a little one about 5-10 minutes after but nothing since then.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Swiped this off of Twitter.

And now it is back, with a 4.8 just to the east of the 6.5

edit on 31-3-2020 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Now it's hitting the news
www.msn.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 07:59 PM
link   
If this is a foreshock and 139 miles from Yellowstone???

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Is the fault line where it occurred linked to the Teton fault line where Yellowstone is? Is this earthquake linked in any way to Yellowstone?

My wife said that there was a 6.5 on Yellowstone, I almost crapped myself...

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 08:09 PM
link   
We felt it here in Meridian, but I was out walking the dogs & didn’t notice. Came back & the chandelier was swaying. Wild.

This one is close to where the 7.2 quake hit in Challis back in ‘83. That one sadly knocked over a building on 2 children. My dad was on top of a ridge by Stanley (elk hunting) & saw the wave move through the trees; he said it sounded like a train going by.
edit on 31-3-2020 by Gandalf77 because: Spelling

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Taken in regards to the proximity of this big one to the smaller 2+ magnitude earlier in Yellowstone, I wonder what is happening and I pray my thought process is wrong (taken, again, with the rest of what is currently happening throughout the globe)

...or is this my inner ATS just happening :/

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ATSAlex

This area had a similar sized quake in the 80’s when I was in jr. high. It isn’t related to Yellowstone but could have had some stress transferred from Utah last week. I’m sure puterman know much more about it than me.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 08:12 PM
link   

If memory serves, there’s a fault line that runs roughly North/South through the middle of Idaho.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 08:13 PM
link   
A little history on earthquakes in Idaho April 15, 2014 from: Scientific American

SALMON, Idaho (Reuters) - Hundreds of low-level and medium-sized earthquakes have struck central Idaho since last month, puzzling geologists who wonder whether the ruptures portend a much larger temblor to come or are merely the rumblings of a seismic fault previously thought to be dormant.

The recent earthquake swarm, beginning on March 24 and climaxed by a 4.9 magnitude tremor on Saturday, has produced no reports of injuries or severe damage but has rattled nerves in a region where Idaho's most powerful known quake, measured at 6.9, killed two children in 1983.

Saturday's earthquake was the strongest recorded in the state since 2005 and was followed on Monday by a magnitude 4.4 event that struck 10 miles north of the small ranching community of Challis, Idaho, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The Challis tremor knocked pictures and animal mounts from walls, rattled dishes off tables and was felt by residents in neighboring Montana more than 100 miles from the quake's epicenter, officials said.

The latest seismic surge, including 100 small to moderate quakes on Monday alone, has galvanized government scientists, who planned to install special seismometers in the area as early as Tuesday to more closely track the activity.

The likelihood of a severe earthquake coming on the heels of the recent swarm is low, but much is perplexing about the series of tremors, said Bill Phillips, a geologist with the Idaho Geological Survey at the University of Idaho.

Such earthquake swarms typically are associated with the movement of molten rock below ground, which geologists credited for the recent quake cluster at Yellowstone National Park, or they are linked to an active fault, he said on Tuesday.

"What has many of us scratching our heads is the present-day swarm doesn't appear to be on the big, active fault in the area that ruptured in 1983 and caused the largest earthquake in Idaho," Phillips said.

He was referring to the magnitude 6.9 temblor that struck Mount Borah, Idaho's tallest peak, killing two children in Challis and damaging hundreds of homes and businesses.

Idaho sits at the center of a seismic belt in the intermountain West that runs from northwestern Montana to southern Nevada and contains thousands of faults in the Earth's crust, said Michael Stickney, director of earthquake studies at the Montana Bureau of Mines and Geology.

edit on 31-3-2020 by SpaceJockey1 because: Added missing date

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I would expect more of this in the coming years.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: mzinga

This area had a similar sized quake in the 80’s when I was in jr. high. It isn’t related to Yellowstone but could have had some stress transferred from Utah last week. I’m sure puterman know much more about it than me.

The large quake in UT recently was where my thoughts went, as well.

I’m in Northern California, so we’re used to quakes in general, but two large quakes, so close together in terms of distance (relative to the size of California) and occurrence, is...thought provoking.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Yup im in boise

I felt it, and one of the aftershocks.........

Any ideas on what the depth means? good or bad? assumptions?

As i said on the other thread, i got really bad vertigo right before both hit.....my first time for earthquakes.....

Wow what a weird experience

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Looks like a fault line.

*shrug*

I am no expert.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
Yup im in boise

As i said on the other thread, i got really bad vertigo right before both hit.....my first time for earthquakes.....

Means essential workers are working double time on those bunkers in the mountains.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Isnt that where Yellowstones Magma chamber is? Its like 11 grand canyons, so maybe we have magma movement.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
Yup im in boise

Means essential workers are working double time on those bunkers in the mountains.

If folks have bunkers in those mountains (and I wouldn’t be surprised), they’re already working double time. That area is so remote and rugged and full of snow the native Americans avoided it until the melt.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: misskat1
Isnt that where Yellowstones Magma chamber is? Its like 11 grand canyons, so maybe we have magma movement.

NO it is is further east

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Gandalf77

Sounds like exactly where a bunker should be!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join