It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hidden Racism

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
lets face it.......most of us are hypocrits!!

When we drive in our cars, all that PC stuff goes out the door.

If we get cut off by an Asian, 90% of us make racial comments about Asian driving skills....weather its a Mexican, Black or a Fat-Soccer Mom on her cell phone......90% of us make racial comments about other drivers while we're driving....and when we get to the Mall parking lot, everyone is all smiles.

The real "Racism" test comes if your white daughter tells you she's pregnant from a Black man.

Would you tell her to keep the Baby? Would you Love and accept the baby as a Grandchild? Thats the real test here.....Im not sure what I would do

Maximu§

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by LA_Maximus

If we get cut off by an Asian, 90% of us make racial comments about Asian driving skills....weather its a Mexican, Black or a Fat-Soccer Mom on her cell phone......90% of us make racial comments about other drivers while we're driving....and when we get to the Mall parking lot, everyone is all smiles.

- You can cut the "us" BS out, you speak only for yourself max.

The real "Racism" test comes if your white daughter tells you she's pregnant from a Black man.

- Really.

Would you tell her to keep the Baby?

- That line alone is one of the saddest I've ever seen you write here max.
What do you mean "let her" ?
How would you force your daughter max?

Would you Love and accept the baby as a Grandchild? Thats the real test here.....Im not sure what I would do

Maximu§

- .....and that is probably the 2nd saddest thing I've ever seen you write.

How could you question whether you'd love your own grandchild max?
How do you do that?

I'm just glad they're your problems max and despite your liking for doing the all encompassing "us" and "we" I'm also very happy to know this is a dwindling mentality......

......even here in the UK (which I'd say was probably behind the US in parts of anti-racism) I'm glad to say that kind of 'view' is just embarrassingly ignorant; even those that hold it know that it is unacceptable.

[edit on 29-4-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
sminkeypinkey, its people like you that make posting in here really suk. If I speak honestly about a subject and give my thoughts on it...you crank up your attack machine and cut loose.

Is that how it goes in here? Anyone who gives honest thought is ganged up on and attacked until they leave ATS.

Your the Sad one not me, cause I don't hide my honesty. I shoulda never posted on this subject.

Maximu§

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   

sminkeypinkey, its people like you that make posting in here really suk. If I speak honestly about a subject and give my thoughts on it...you crank up your attack machine and cut loose.

- .....and just how did I "attack" you, eh?

I refused to go along with your "we" and "us" game and refused to label myself a hypocrite as you did to yourself.
I honestly gave my own view about what you said; how is that an attack?

Is that how it goes in here? Anyone who gives honest thought is ganged up on and attacked until they leave ATS.

- I gave my view on what you posted max, how is that ganging up (just who is supposed to be ganging up here, me alone?), attacking you or got anything to do with you leaving here, hmmm?

(.....and from the tenor of your many previous posts on ATS I doubt you are that fragile for a start.)

Your the Sad one not me, cause I don't hide my honesty.

- Er, so I gave an honest response asking honest questions about what you said and you think my honesty makes me sad!?
How does that one work?

The 'meat and potatos' of my views on race are that I honestly find racist attitudes just ridiculous. There is only one race, the human race.

A wise person is a wise person and a fool is a fool regardless of skin colour, gender, sexual orientation etc etc.

I shoulda never posted on this subject. Maximu§

- If you say so, but you did and surely that makes your thoughts fair game for comment and discussion (just as the same applies to mine).

I thought that debate was the point of this place or is it just for making statements at each other, hmmm?

(and I note your relating your honest view doesn't quite stretch to explaining what you meant about your question over whether you would "let" your daughter keep her mixed race child or not -

hmmm, how about that; a hard-line conservative who's developing a liking for abortion because of mixed race!?

- nor how you imagine you could not love a mixed race grandchild)

[edit on 29-4-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
According to Dictionary.com

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.

2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

Ok, Here's my take in it. Racism is not limited to the South, I was born down south in an all white community and moved up north when I was 16 to an all black community. And both sides have thier equal share of racism.

I'm not a racist, Iam far form it. I treat every man the same, black, white, yellow, green or tan..its all the same. However I do have my views and concerns about the black community as a whole, But I do not prejudge a man simply cause he is black.

I used to be one of them guys that claimed I was not a racist, and put on that face whenever I talked to someone that was black. However, when me and my friends would get together we would crack our jokes and spit out our racist lingo when we saw a black person. And we werent joking either....we meant it, N****r this, N****r that...I hate N****rs.
We even went as far degrading people to thier faces at times.

Yes, I was two faced.

But after travelling the world going to places like China, Yemen, Korea, Japan, Philippines, Thailand and many more countries, I have have realized that we are all the same. We all bleed the same blood, spit the same spit, and cry the same tears.

In the Marine Corps there's only one color. That color is GREEN.
We have Dark Green Marines and Light Green Marines....Nothing More.

Now I realize how foolish and stupid I used to be back in the day. If I could go back in time, I would. You know what I would do...I would kick my own arse and slap my self silly and tell myself just how stupid I sound.

Some of the most beautiful women I have ever seen are from Asia.
Yup, I have been bit by the asian bug, I have an incureable disease called
"Yellow Fever", What does that mean, It means IM a sucker for asian chics

Anyways, I consider myself to be a man of many cultures. It's Sad that it took so long for me to realize the truth and see how unique and special different people are.

There is a reason why it's called the American Melting Pot.

BTW, Some stuff does get out blown out of proportation....just cause someone says Ghetto, redneck, or camel jockey does make them a racist.

Sporty~

[edit on 29/4/2005 by SportyMB]

[edit on 29/4/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   
One thing I love about internet forums is that nobody knows what your race/ethnicity is unless you disclose it. I'm sure unless I let it be known that I am black, I could conversate with any racist or or separatist person about topics ranging from military aviation, to religious conspiracy, or IQ tests and be considered equal and intelligent. But the second I'm black, my IQ inheritently cut in half, and I am quote spewing "n**ger" logic. I tell you my friends, a racist (on all sides) is one of the saddest examples of ignorance known to man.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Would you tell her to keep the Baby? Would you Love and accept the baby as a Grandchild? Thats the real test here.....Im not sure what I would do

Maximu§

You have got to be kidding.

I would love and accept a Martian Grandbaby and if my Daughter is happy with the man (or woman) she marries than I am happy too.

Whats so hard about that?

BTW I am 55 and grew up in the South and can still remember the "whites only" resturants and things. I think God we have outgrown things like that.....or do until I hear some remark like that

[edit on 29-4-2005 by Amuk]

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I would also like to address the state of many black neighborhoods and why I feel African Americans in general lag behind other Americans in most measurable areas and why there is push for certain government programs to benefit them.

When slavery ended in America, blacks were not freed and embraced with smiles and open arms. There is a period of segragation and discrimination where laws were made to oppress blacks...does Jim Crow ring a bell?

I'm pretty sure that at the time, most if not all blacks wanted an equal opportunity to go to school, to vote, and to be employed. They were denied all of the above. Sure, blacks were eventually allowed to vote, but you're oftly naive to think that it was enforced and not highly (often through use of violence) discouraged.

It does not take a genius to realize that when you have kept an entire race of people ignorant by not allowing them to learn how to read or write because you are scared that they will turn against you and rise against slavery...and then you bar them from obtaining an education in order to join the workforce and become productive, that we have the problems we have today.

What do you think happened to all those blacks who were kept dumb and uneducated, do you think they got respectable jobs, do you think they advanced any economically? Why do you think so many blacks live in neighborhoods with potholes, and no lights? And black neighborhoods, though they have always been poorer than white neighborhoods, have not always been so violent. The violence that plagues black America is relatively recent (last 30 years or so). And much of that is due to the introduction of drugs to the street. I highly doubt a lowly black man was responsible for drugs that arrive from Colombia or elswhere. I think blacks were exploited so that there would be a market for drugs. The people who profit most off of drugs aren't even black.

But then all of a sudden, due to the Civil Rights Act (the most hard fought piece of legislation ever) are blacks able to live on more equal terms. And after keeping them ignorant for hundreds of years, you expect them to "act right?" The damage was done years and years ago, it took drugs and years of desperation to create the mess we have today.

And as far as reverse racism or favoritism towards blacks is concerned...racism on the black side does exists and I as a black person condemn it in all forms....BUT

The racism developed by many blacks is a result of being discriminated against for so many years. Much of the racism in black culture is passed down from a disgruntled older generation that had to deal with racism and segration much of their life. Two wrongs do not make a right, I've been called n**ger, kike, ape, etc all of my life and I use that as no excuse to return the favor. So those of you who use black racism as an excuse to be racist have no excuse as well...and visa versa.

And it's not just whites that are paying into these programs for minorities. I attend a private university and receive no type of "affirmative action" I am not on welfare, I only see food stamps when I'm at work "a grocery store," and yet I don't whine or complain about supporting those less fortunate than I am, even if some or many of them are "undeserving" of such entitlements.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   
There is plenty of racism here in the North, it is not some exclusive property of the South. My mom is from the South, and is one of the least racist people I know.

The good thing is that it is becoming less and less tolerated, people start making racial comments and other people call them on it. That's the way it should be, racism is like a disease, it spreads unless you take steps to prevent it.

It's not necessary to be an uptight PC milktoast that gets bent out of shape by every dumb joke, but when I see real hate getting spewed I tend to react with some hate of my own.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I don't think other minorities had the same experience as Blacks had in america, england wherever,as it concerns to slavery,discrimination,Jim Crow,etc.. The asians have come into america,and bam in no time they have reached an higher status in society,than we already have. They and all look down on Blacks as Niggas, slush,trash,etc,it;s the same damn story world over. In The Caribbean,africa,etc.. This is not an excuse for the grave condition our ppl are in today,just shedding some light on the issue

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Greetings to "whom it may concern" viewing when they do..
This is my first post so bear with me as I clue to what this is, who I reach and what response(s) return.
I reside currently in Sydney and am from Australia and have lived in Bali, Indonesia for about 9 years... in fact my first daughter's name is Bali.
I presume this site is mainly from the States and as a starting point to interact the subject of racism is as relevent as any of this world's ills.
I assume the causes for the normal ignorant bigots are upbringing, insecurity and a way of fitting in socielly with the clan (or klan) that you happen to hang with... whilst your hardcore, manipulative and philosophically thinking bigot is simply evil of heart with an evil agenda and no knowledge of biology to boot.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by accidental tourist
whilst your hardcore, manipulative and philosophically thinking bigot is simply evil of heart with an evil agenda and no knowledge of biology to boot.

Welcome and yes biology is what it is all about ! I hate to be redundant, but I said it before and I will say it again Hybrid-Vigor.

dictionary.reference.com...

Race mixing produces stonger offspring in all living organisms. Racial purity, or the maintaining thereof , biologically speaking , actually leads to genetic degeneracy, and disease,a s witnessed in inbred families. That's all races are, the same families basically One just need apply this to a human scale, and see that race mixing, biologically speaking is the best thing for the human species. No matter how you feel about it.

D

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 03:03 AM
link   

I'm suprised to hear myself say this but I have to agree with Max on this one. On the surface of things, I find that people are generally ok with each other in most situations. But when small things like the example Max gave happens, then the dirt comes out.

My family has had racist comments thrown at us in traffic due to the fact we're Asian, even when it's their fault. But then once out of the car everyone's all happy and smiling.

You only have to have a one incident to see all the "Hidden Racism" rear its ugly head. I know that here in Sydney, people of Middle Eastern descent have been vilified by the radio shock jocks because of a 2-3 gang rapes and when you listen people call in and decide that these people need to be deported and to "send them back to where they came from". Asian drug dealers and gang violence, same thing happens. Caucasians starting riots in public housing estates. Relatively little talk. No talk of deporting them back to England or Ireland or anything. Just lots of talk of saying they should get jobs or work harder and stuff like that.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 03:09 AM
link   

You have voted sminkeypinkey for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

Well said!
When I was stationed at Ft. Hood, Texas, I dated a black woman, and sometimes I got nervous that we'd run into some racists. Luckily, we never did. I pray for a day in the US when people are judged by the content of their character, not their skin color. When I joined the military, that was the USA I signed up to defend.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
As I have said a couple of times, I am of mixed race (black, and white) I have seen the effects of racism from BOTH perspectives. Now you wnat to know something real F'd up?

It was the white side of the family that accepted me and my brothers before even any of the black side did. I have uncles who were incarcerated for long periods of time, were members of the AB (Aryan Brotherhood), YET were still cool with my mom, and me, and my brother.

Yet on the black side, I have had many who refuse to talk to me, due to my mixed decent.

I agree with Chris Rock when he says that there is no one as racist as an old black man (All socio-economic factors aside) It seems to be the truth.

In my own life, being of mixed descent, I can attest to the willingness of the "white"side of my family who accepted me more willingly than the black side.

Does this make any of it right? NO! Is it just my experience? Yes! Could there be others who of the same background have witnessed completely contrary results? Yes!These are just my experiences that I speak from. And from what I see ALL racism is equally as ignorant.

What I can attest to is the hidden nature of racism in this country. When seen out with my Mom and Dad I was completely aware of the stares, and looks we got. I can remember being sited at the back of a restaurant, so as to be out of sight. Mind you I am thirty some odd years old, and this was a different time. However I still get those same looks and impressions when shopping with my now white Wife, (who incidentally is almost as dark as me)

Another thing that most people do not realize is truly how entrenched racism is in our society. Since the time of the greeks, there has been no nation on earth as tolerant as other cultures. Racism, when looked at from an historical perspective, is a fairly recent phenomenon. (in terms of the whole black vs. white thing) Yet it is still soo entrenched that it holds power over others to this very day.

[edited for additional point]

[edit on 30-4-2005 by phoenixhasrisin]

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Well I dont think I am racist just because they are 'black'. I wasnt born in the times of slavery. I wasnt taught that having relationships with black women was wrong.

I just take people as I see them.

I am a white person but I am Italian, Portuguese, Irish, English. So I dont think it is just generally because I have pride in being 'white'.

I look at hip hop, I look at sports and all the steroids, I look at black people's general attitude, I look at their morals, I look at their culture, and I look at crime statistics and wealth statistics.

Then I say to myself how screwed up the world would be in if white people had the same ethics as black people. I cant see black people having any power. And there is no way I could trust a black person.

I just think they arent healthy for society.

I dont like NAZI's either. I dont like poeple that I dont beleive in their morals or attitudes.

But I generalize black people as immoral. I dont generalize white people as NAZI's. I think white Americans are the most moral people in the world.

As much as I love pimping hoes, I would not rap about pimping OTHER people's hoes in my music. That is just going to get them killed. If I had a licence to kill I would definatly take people's music as a deciding factor in wether or not I would assasinate them.

Thank's that we have VH1. Sanity in Music television.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   
We are all one race. I think we have reached a point in our evolution that we can accept this fact. I know people are aware of our differences, but we should be able to look beyond this. I don't stare at the person getting on the bus in a wheelchair, but I know he/she is there. I see the colour of your skin, and I don't judge you on that basis. But I still see it. I hope the SETI people find something soon. It should bring us all closer together.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Look Amuk and sminkeypinkey

I used to Hate Blacks until I joined the US Army...growing up in downtown LA, the only Blacks I came in contact with were robbing or killing. Thats the honest truth.

My family moved here from a small town 200 miles North of Quebec City...theres no Blacks up there, so moving to Los Angeles was a severe culture shock to us.

After I joined the US Army I got to know Black Men who I would give my life for.....They were brothers to me and I swear thats the truth. I than came to realize theres good and bad in every race and color....Im still having problems with Arabs and that battle against Arab racism rages on inside of me.

I have a few good Black friends and last year I saw a homeless black lady who was shivering in the cold outside of a doughnut shop without a sweater.....I gave her my new penelton shirt I got for Xmas and the LAST $5.00 bucks I had...cause thats how I am.

My point was, even I help Blacks who need help and have great Black friends.....would I be a "Raciest" if I did not want my daughter or Son to wed a black and have his 1/2 Black baby?

Does that make me a Raciest?? Im not even sure If I am or not.....If any of you want to debate...fine, but please turn OFF your siege engine and talk to me like an adult.

Maximu§

[edit on 023131p://111 by LA_Maximus]

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   

My point was, even I help Blacks who need help and have great Black friends.....would I be a "Raciest" if I did not want my daughter or Son to wed a black and have his 1/2 Black baby?

Is the race of the child more important to you then the happiness of the family?

Since you seemed not to give a damn about whither the mother and child were happy, healthy, beeing cared for, had a loving father, etc but was ONLY concerned with the race of the child I would say....... yes you are.

If my daughter is happy and in a loving realationship that is all that matters, I dont care if its with a black man or even a women.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
It sounds like MAX is admitting that he used to be a racist and he is slowly moving away from that. some of these things are instilled since childhood and come frombad expierences and take time to get away from. Maybe he is trying?

I agree though, the Army will either make you more racist or make you more open to races. It all depends on what crowds you assiciate with.
Thats whay my firnds in the amry tell me.....

Max, I have a question for you.
Judging by some of your post in other threads I assume you are
Pro-life/anti-abortion?

If you are then answer this, it will help me understand where you stand on the race issue:
God forbid, your child is one day raped by a black dude.....
do you abort or not?
would it make a diff if the rapist was white?
Abort or not if he was white?
what if it was agreed sex and she was under 18.....do you abort?

If it was your choice, abort or not?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join