It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hidden Racism

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Spliff--just like you took for granted that I was a kid because, to you I sounded like one, another one of your innacuracies, I went ahead and took you for a red necked West Virginian piece of trailer trash, for sounding like one. And then you have the Audacity to cry-- Mods?? where are you, I'm getting picked on

I grew up under the oppression of bigots like you that think people rise-up out of povery if they want to, when most of the time it's anunbelieveable uphill battle. Watching your folk work two jobs each and still not have enough because of the chains of racism and poveryt forcing them into worse and worse neighborhoods.

Your a racist and I hope your kids are able to break free. I did because of an ability to play a pretty good game of baseball.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by kazi
spliff-stay in your trailer and watch your white tv,but there is a change a-coming even for those of you in wv. Blacks are being given a chance in the mainstream today and they are excelling--even in TV. Look around and you'll see white girls everywhere sneakingout to date Black guys. And the blacks are succeeding, even, in the face of bigots like you. Hell they might even own the mortgage of the trailer your paying for.

Maybe you do not like the way he said it, kinda in your face!! But Spliff touches on a rather sore point with a lot of whites. There is a growing belief that we are seeing reverse discrimination. The issue of slavery is a very touchy subject, especially in the south. Stereo typing as you have so plainly done here does not help. I grew up in the segregated south and saw first hand the injustice that was forced on the blacks. But we as a people have come a long way from that past. In trying to appease for our past mistakes, many whites of my generation have taken a more tolerant
position or well meaning whites are over compensating. This has created
the sense of unfairness and that blacks are getting way too much. My family were poor white farmers who never owned slaves. I do not feel responsible for something that I neither had control over nor took part in.
Slavery was introduced to this country when we were a British Colony. Over a million Americans, black and white, died during the Civil War. I believe the price of slavery was paid in full by their blood. Discrimination isn't an American Institution, therefore the American government should not
be expected to pay further for such a tragic episode in our history. Bigotry knows no color barriers. Regardless of how our ancestors came to be here, we are all Americans and need to act accordingly. There is much left to do, hopefully the next generation can overcome such petty differences.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Sp kazi, what you are saying then is that your only ability to earn a living is from baseball? Your saying that there was nothing else you could have done to earn a living? Thats crap. Its called school. Hell, if your black, they have to take you. Its called affirmitive action. Nevermind qualifications. They want you, just to filla quota, and you STILL can't make it? Poor, poor oppressed black man again.

Hey! I know why you couldnt make it without baseball...Mental inferiority, perhaps? See your the one who resorts to name calling, yet label me a racist. You know, the more I think about it, your probably full of BS. You probably dont play any sort of professional sports at all. Wouldnt you be at spring training by now?

Also, Id like a mod to step in from time to time, to calm things down. See, insults and what not are saved for lesser boards. The whole point of this place is to encourage discussion. Something that you are unable to do. You get mad and call names. Call me sometime. You and my 8 year old can hang out.

Call me a racist or whatever you want to. It doesnt matter to me, because Im right. Its people like yourself that prove it to me. Here you are crying and pissin bout this, but you wont address a single thing I said. Your a gutless, ignorant coward. Prove me wrong. Say one intelligent thing in this post. Come on..its a dare! I bet you cant. You can scream and kick because your dealing with a white man, who wont take any sh-t from anyone and you cant handle it. Call me what you will, but at least make a point.

So far, alls youve done is proven mine. Some info on your "sports" career would make good fodder to. Perhaps you can link to something? Probably not. Oh well. Flame on..

I just wish that more white people would have the guts to stand up and say something as well. As a race, we've become to complacent and let everyone walk on us. I'm tired of takin all the heat.

[edit on 16-3-2005 by spliff4020]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I just wish that more white people would have the guts to stand up and say something as well. As a race, we've become to complacent and let everyone walk on us. I'm tired of takin all the heat.

[edit on 16-3-2005 by spliff4020]

I'm white, I'll say something. You are a bigot.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Someone please stop spliff from spreading his racism on these boards

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 05:43 AM
link   
My point on racism is this:

We live in a society that puts importance on secondary qualities (the look of something, color, shape etc) rather than primary qualities (what two different beerbottles have in common, being a bottle for example).
A classic example of how this is institutionalized is this: a maths exam is not given a 100% mark coz the working out wasn't neat. This happend to my dad btw.
Whats this!! It maths for crying out loud not makeup class! All answers were correct but it dind't look neat... so 99%.

Relating this back to racism:
In a society that worries about fashion and looks (secondary qualities) so much is it any wonder at all that they also worry about colour?

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
paranoia says:

"Someone please stop spliff from spreading his racism on these boards."

Quit being a crybaby, para. Spliff is no more a 'racist' than anyone else here. If you don't like what he says, put hm on ignore.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
Quit being a crybaby, para. Spliff is no more a 'racist' than anyone else here. If you don't like what he says, put hm on ignore.

If by cry baby you mean that i object to racists spreading their filth across to other people, then yes i'm guilty of that. I don't like what he says, but no i shall not put him on ignore, what good will that do to everyone else?
Listen to what he says - he isn't merely arguing valid points about white people being discriminated against, or the balance going too far in favour for one race. He is constantly hinting and alluding to the fact that he views black people as inferior, less worthy of his patience, and he generally has issues with them. He is a racist Off the street. Maybe you should stop crying like a baby when someone brings to light these glaringly obvious facts.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
See you ignorant racist, you continue to imply eyerything racist has to do with blacks. I neve implied I was black, I never implied I was a professional baseball player. Get-outof your racist head once in a while.

I won a baseball scholarship, got a masters, got a good job. I just don't like the way you try to speak for all whites when it comes to your racist remarks about how no-one wants to better themselves because their black and continue their ghetto ways because they want to.

Hell-if you have a daughter she'll very likely grow-up loving their music and their athleticism and marry a black--wouldn't that be height of irony.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Ok all lets please lets restrain ourselfs from petty insults,

Asala

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Spliff, let's see. Show's that are "all white"? Hrmmm...how about the old show Saved By the Bell? The Nanny? Golden Girls? Hrmmm...Boy Meets World? That's just a few, but, you know...? Also, you said in your first post what you considered many black neighborhoods to be like. Is it any wonder, given your notions on all neighborhoods being that way, that they would have a college fund? If the neighborhoods are that way, why shouldn't they have a college fund to rise above it and get the hell out? After all, they might just want to marry your daughter one day, and one of your prerequisites is that they have a degree

Well, "saved" had a black girl in it. But none of those shows openly made fun of black people did it? Nope. You cant...Thats racist. You can make fun of whitey cuz he cant jump or dance, and thats ok. All us whities just laugh right along. Ohhh, but say ANYTHING negative about someone black and all hell breaks loose. Interesting. Whos the racist here?

Should they have a college fund? Sure..As long as when I can start a fund for WHITE PEOPLE only..Thats fair, no?

I never said thats what I consider most black neighborhoods to be. It is what I see every single day. Gary was almost all white right up untill the 1970's steel recession. Then all the whites left. You can see the burned out shells of what used to be houses. You can see all the abandoned stores and schools. This is hardky an opinion. Its facts. Come see for yourself.

Now go look at any major city. They all have the bad parts. You know why? Hmmm....Is it all the old white people that scare ya? Nope. Its the angry black man. Again, truth hurts.

But hey, I didnt do it to them. Tupac did. Snoop did. Dre did. And now, Eminem is doing to the white kids. Making it cool and acceptable to be gangster. Its cool to be hard a-s. Well, sure it is. But when your older and broke, who's gonna pay for your uneducated a-s and family? Me. Ohh but how dare I say something about it. Such a racist. Whatever...

Think about this: How can one race of people have so many opportunities and support programs laid out before them, screw it up so bad? Answer: Laziness. Pure and simple. Unless someone comes and takes them by the hand they wont do it. Now, when I drive the assesors office every second monday of the month, the lines out the door. Parking lot filled with 40k SUVs, and people wearing $150 shoes, collecting welfare checks. Now yes, theres a white one or 2 that I see, but the other 150 or so are all black. Racist, racist me..

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
***side note*** I know that all blacks are not represented by what I am saying here. I am fully aware that a LARGE NUMBER of them make it out of the hood and go on the lead productive lives, without the help of basketball or rap. It is possible and it happens alot. Its a good thing. What I am going on about are the rest. And unfortunatly, there seems to be more bad than good....flame on

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Spliff, I've liked your common sense in the past, but here's my question to you: How do you feel about the civil rights movement of the 1960s in America? I ask this because there were brave black folks who regularly walked past screaming white racists in order to go to school, drink at certain water fountains and vote.

Now, before those brave souls had the balls to stand up to Jim Crow and his nation-wide establishment (which had lynched them, castrated them, etc all up to that point), their lives were hellish in the extreme. In fact, there are still people alive who had milkshakes thrown at them for just sitting at a particular lunch counter. There was a principle at stake there, and I would have been happy to march right along side those black folks as I'm sure you would have also, right?

So my question is, given that prior to 1960 (1860-1960), there were 100 years of veiled racism/violence and 100 years of outright repression and slavery prior to that (1760-1860), how many years do you think it will take to heal the racism inside those white people's hearts? After 200 years of seething hatred, is everything healed now that we've had The Cosby Show?

I'm not persecuting you here, so go easy on me. :^) ...Rememeber you are white and so therefore have never known what it's like to be under the boot of violent racists who have been clocking you (and your parents, grandparents, etc) 24/7. I'm just curious to discover your opinions on history and how long it takes to heal such things.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Subtle racism can be found everywhere across the globe, and not just amongst white countries.

In Asia, racism is almost cultural. Even Asians in the states. In the middle east, especially north africa, racism still exists. Look at Sudan.

Racism shall always exist, period. Its a natural instinct of humans to look unfavorably upon people outside their own small group or culture. Thats just life. Deal with it.

The real danger is trying to forcibly legislate people to love one another. That creates a dangerous backlash. Its similar to trying to legislate Christian morality.

I say allow people their racism if they so well feel inclined to do so. Its their individual loss anyway, if they choose to deny themselves the pleasure of unique and varied company of people from different cultures, they can enjoy stagnating in whatever cultural pond they isolate themselves to. Its their choice.

But we should never indoctrinate tolerance as part of propoganda, nor outlaw or oppress racist leanings or behavior, so long as they are not physically or legally trying to interfere or harm a person of other background.

You cannot program or indoctrinbate people with tolerance of others, that is something that can only truly be gained by experience with others and sharing their company.

In my home of California, where whites were a minority, we were force fed multi culturalism and forced to learn "tolerance" and cultural diversity in school. This only made people more bitter, more racist. It was only by making friends with persons who were not white, like me, and going to hang out at their homes, or, by my own choice, celebrating holidays with them, that I learned to like and enjoy the company and backgrounds of other people.

It sure as hell wasnt done by the state or educational system.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   
First, what I didn't. 'just deal with it'.......after 200 years of economic, physical, psychological, and spiritual beatings....which I feel caused tremendously painful damage to millions, now we just say, its over.
Time to just forget the past and all be buddy buddy.
My take is that there need be some serious payback. That means, the benefactors of the 200 years of criminal acts must pay restitution, and that means the descendents who still reap the rewards of the violent oppression and abuse done by their parents, and their parents peers.
Paybacks a bitch.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   
As said above, in an area with more black people. I'm white, so is my wife, and my kids are white. The kids are rough on them at school. Why? Because my family is together, we're white, one of my daughters have red hair and we encourage them to do well in school. You have no idea how many times they tell my red-haired daughter that she thinks she is special because she has red hair and that she must dye it. At 8 years old? Please. None of my daughters are dying their hair at 8. Then my 8 year old blonde (twins-fraternal) is your every day perfect kid, at least she likes to think so. Gets up, does everything she has to do, brushing teeth included. She does all her homework on time, gets great grades, and the kids at school hate her. But the black girl that does all these things also is one of the most loved kids in the school. You have no idea how many times I tell my kids that it will just be a few more years and I will get them out of this mess. Why should we say that only white Christians are racists? I see a lot of this coming from the other side. Or better yet, people who are in troubled situations, like single parented children on welfare tend to not like people in a stable situation.

Wake up, racism is not what you think it is. And as some people here said, what's wrong with keeping races pure. Well, I, with German heritage, married a woman with Scottish heritage, but we have much of the same culture and beliefs. It's not just wanting to keep a race alive, but strength comes in tradition and culture also. And as for blacks excelling in television, I hope you don't mean some of these new sports announcers. Wow, they suck.

[edit on 16-3-2005 by steggyD]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Skadi_the_Evil_Elf , that was a good post I agree with your statement.
Also we can not deny our history and at the same time deny what is going on in the world today. It makes me angry when I read post about the bad bad white man when slavery and brutality still goes on today all over the world and it is not because of the white man. They still sell children into slavery in Africa just like they did hundreds of years ago along with many other countries. I to would march with any people for their freedom but not because I am some special kind of person but more because I am a product of a learned behavior taught to me by my parents and the social setting I grew up in. Face our history because at one time slavery was accepted by society, people did not know any better and you can not look back and judge that unless you are willing to be judged yourself 100 years from now. Until we all fully understand what this means we will never take the next step to a better society because we will all still be playing the blame game.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackGuardXIII
First, what I didn't. 'just deal with it'.......after 200 years of economic, physical, psychological, and spiritual beatings....which I feel caused tremendously painful damage to millions, now we just say, its over.
Time to just forget the past and all be buddy buddy.
My take is that there need be some serious payback. That means, the benefactors of the 200 years of criminal acts must pay restitution, and that means the descendents who still reap the rewards of the violent oppression and abuse done by their parents, and their parents peers.
Paybacks a bitch.

But you must realize that only wealthy white farmers had slaves. It's not like every white man in the south owned himself a black man. This is just pure nonsense. Noone in my family owned slaves, as a matter of fact, my family moved here at the time of the Civil War and fought for the North. Now why should I pay for anything?

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
The only thing wrong with keeping races pure is you end up with inbred, deformed, genetically deteriorating descendents. In animal husbandry it is a critical point to introduce new genetic diversity.
And btw, there is one race. One cannot draw a line anywhere, it is a gradual curve. My black/white relationship had to deal with the crap that is an unavoidable result of that kind of isolationist thinking. We were not in the wrong for being together. Yet we were treated as such for 5 years.
And finally, why should you pay? Lets say we don't. What is your take on our chances of ever getting our # together as a planet? I see zero.
someone has to pay, and the governments our ancestors elected allowed this, so we are as liable as anyone. And like I said, what is the alternative, WWIII?

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackGuardXIII
The only thing wrong with keeping races pure is you end up with inbred, deformed, genetically deteriorating descendents. In animal husbandry it is a critical point to introduce new genetic diversity...

Like I said, I married a woman of Scottish heritage. That is different enough in my opinion without being too different in culture. I think the idea you speak of would be in a much tighter situation, such as an Amish community or something to that effect. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not against mixing of races, but I'm not promoting it either. I like my heritage and what I come from, God-fearing and loving white farmers. Even though I've lost the Christian edge, I still believe in God. My wife's family still farms, but she'll have nothing to do with it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join