It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservation and Common Sense During the CORVID19 Shut Downs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Michigan has been under a declared State of Emergency since March 10th, 2020. On March 17, the governor of Michigan issued new executive orders to "suspend activities that are not necessary to sustain or protect life". This EO includes orders that "prohibit in-person work that is not necessary to sustain or protect life" and for citizens to "stay at home or at their place of residence".

I began to top off my prep list two weeks before the state wide shut down. Since I'm on "temporary indefinite leave" from work now, my personal stores are good for about a month or so. Of course this situation has me in prepper mode now and is making me hyper aware of potential accidents or how I use my resources.

The list of risky and wasteful behaviors that have become our daily habits have to be examined and dealt with before they cause problems while we "stay home, stay safe".

One good example of risky and wasteful habits is how my better half does dishes. I took over the job after she got the dishes in soapy water. First off, she used so much dish detergent that it changed the water color. Also, like I suspected, she had a few sharp knives in the soapy depths of the sink, ready to cut me wide open if I didn't carefully fish them out. A single instance where there was waste and serious risk during a routine chore. I could think of many more similar situations that include my risky and wasteful habits, it's certainly not just the GF that has these type of habits.

It is a pain to have to adjust your habits to curb waste and reduce risks, but it has become necessary. The first thing to do is identify the "bad" habits and replace them with "good" ones. It's not just "social distancing" or being frugal with TP, it takes some close personal observation and rationing the prepper goods. Situational awareness is a big part of reducing risky habits, so that needs to be practiced as well.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Awareness.
Silver linings.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Yeah, in my case the silver lining was getting my preps organized and topped off just weeks before the shut down. I can be a glass half full kinda guy, I guess.
edit on 29-3-2020 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

I blew it. When my daughter decided she wasn't going to college on the mainland I figured I didn't need a webcam.

Too late now.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Yeah, I'm actually surprised at how much stuff we had. But it always comes down to money and time to prep, so my crap was highly disorganized. I've got a way to go preparing for a Mad, Mad, Mad Max world, but I got this for many weeks to come.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Awareness.
Silver linings.

Absolutely right.

Also, prevention is better than cure.

I cooked burgers on my bbq last night but also put a large pot of beef stew on there to get it started. This saves me gas as I use bottled gas.

If I use my oven I will fill it with dinner but also baking cakes and biscuits to save gas.

I never put sharp knives into dishwater unless I am actually washing them. I still have scars. Yikes, those kind of shocking slices are just plain avoidable.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I blew it. When my daughter decided she wasn't going to college on the mainland I figured I didn't need a webcam.

Too late now.

Can't you use a mobile phone camera instead?

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 06:17 PM
link   
One thing I'm guilty of is "putting on blinders" when I get going on something. I get so focused on getting the job done that I may ignore potential hazards, esp. if it is a routine chore done daily.

As far as waste goes, I always had that paycheck to get caught up, so I never worried too much about how much TP I used to wipe my bum with, now I have to give consideration to such things until I can get some cash flow again.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

Can't you use a mobile phone camera instead?

Heh. Not my phone.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Can't say that being frugal has ever gone out of style for some of us. Altho "cheap" may be a better word?

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 08:00 PM
link   
About two weeks before the shutdown, we started boosting up our supplies to the normal level, we were down somewhat because of a lack of sales at the stores. But at that time we got some good sales and we started stocking up to our usual level, not the high point, not the low point, about in the middle of our usual stock. We do go lower sometimes but never less than what the wife and I can live off for around six months....except milk and eggs.

We can do a year for just the two of us now, but we might run out of some ingredients but we have seeds to plant those kind of perishables. But, our intent is to help the daughters and their families through something bad too, it is about three months worth of food in that case. Not a super prepper, we are just people who like a little security in our life.

If we throw out five percent of our food, I would be surprised, I even boil bones to make soup off of.
edit on 29-3-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Another thing is food waste, like you addressed in your post. My GF is used to cooking for a family of four, she has finally gotten used to making a meal for just the two of us. If anything is left over, I'm the official bottom feeder and will let little go to waste. I have the 3 day rule for most left overs in the fridge though, on day 4 it gets tossed out, so there is still some waste of food to deal with.

posted on Mar, 30 2020 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Most entry level Android tablets come with a front facing Camera and will run several programs capable of video conferencing.

The experience wouldn't be perfect, choppy video and low res video being sent... But it would work and is an inexpensive ( $30 - $40 or so ) option.

posted on Mar, 30 2020 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I'm not sure of why a web cam is a problem for such an intelligent guy as you Phage. You obviously have an internet connection so it should be easy enough to order one with a USB connector. I'm guessing that you need it for working from home as well as communications with family and friends.

I can see the usefulness of communications equipment in this pandemic panic. I've been doing much in the area of communications myself. Right now I'm redesigning an antenna for use with CB frequencies and setting up a base station for a friend who has some cash for my efforts. I've got my home setup with a local WiFi network independent of an internet connection. I've got my own base and mobile CB, some HAM equipment and a good friend in the amateur radio community who is within com distance (a mere 25 miles).

Concerning a web cam, I have my phone but I can't see wasting the data when I can text and send still photos. I have my laptop and tablet cam as well. Considering the necessity of communications, I guess we can file this kind of thing under common sense preps.
edit on 30-3-2020 by MichiganSwampBuck because: For Clarity

posted on Mar, 30 2020 @ 09:55 AM
link   

I have found that applying conservation to everything helps to train the mind to do it more automatically. Wrapped our tortillas for dinner in a paper towel to warm them in microwave. Tore it in half to use as napkins which we really didn't need, then sprayed the table with Lysol and wiped it down with the basically unused paper towels after dinner. Small thing, but automatic. Keep applying conservation to everything!

posted on Mar, 30 2020 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

I agree, the little things add up quickly and you need to train yourself to think that way for sure.

It's tight when you are relying on preps, or if you have the funds but the stores are bare. For many of us, every step of our habits have to be examined and altered to conserve our resources. Many old habits need a new routine to reduce waste and insure safety.
edit on 30-3-2020 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comments

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Here is an example where activating prepper mode can get you severely injured, even if you are used to it.

I heat with propane, electricity and firewood. My propane tank is low, so the furnace is off and I've been heating strictly with wood to conserve propane. Because I have mostly un-split wood in a big pile, I split a wheelbarrow or two each day to bring in. I use a splitting maul, but a gas powered splitter is very dangerous too. I have had many near misses during a swing that could fracture a leg or bust up a foot pretty good. Also there is how the wood can split and fly at you with some pretty good force.

Then there is the little hatchet for kindling. It handles very differently and is sharp enough to lop off a hand full of fingers. It can easily fly out of your hands during a good swing.

I have to do this on a daily basis as in most examples of survival situations, building and maintaining a fire is paramount. I've been cutting down trees and splitting firewood for years and I still have some close calls because the monotonous routine can cause you to become lack in your safety protocols.

I've been keeping aware of what I do at the wood pile now more than ever, it will save me a trip to the ER, some place I don't want to be right now.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Check your PM when you can

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Thanks for creating this thread MichiganSwampBuck.

As evident by just about every other COVID thread on ATS it's easy for things to fall into a pattern of snark, political lines and insults.

I totally understand that but ideally that needs to be balanced with non-biased , actionable information also for everyone to get through this.

Working on adaptations I have adopted to hopefully help the thread grow.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA
Thanks for creating this thread MichiganSwampBuck.

. . . it's easy for things to fall into a pattern of snark, political lines and insults.

I totally understand that but ideally that needs to be balanced with non-biased , actionable information also for everyone to get through this . . .

You're welcome and agreed, add to that a media assault that ranges from panic to remain calm and relax, including inappropriate humor or DJs spinning parody songs. The whole thing is becoming so surreal to me. It would be hard for me to explain how I'm feeling about it all.

So I decided that dealing with the shut down should start with using common sense and being conservative and put it in the survival forum, now it's in here. So I'm still looking at this as a non-political, non-conspiracy, survival thread as it related to this pandemic event. It seems the common sense thing to do

edit on 31-3-2020 by MichiganSwampBuck because: For Clarity

edit on 31-3-2020 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join