It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYC Mayor Threatens To PERMANENTLY Shut Down Synagogues in NYC

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 11:39 AM
link   
AND SO IT BEGINS...

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio warned the Jewish community that synagogues that continue to defy coronavirus regulations and hold services will be permanently shut down.

While the majority of synagogues have closed in accordance with city orders aimed at slowing the spread of coronavirus by limiting social gathering, others have stayed open.

www.jpost.com...

I GET that places of worship in NY should shut down TEMPORARILY until the viral crisis subsides...and, as the article states, MOST of these synagogues are complying.

The MAYOR, however, appears to be outright infringing on peoples' freedom of religion by threatening to shut down these synagogues PERMANENTLY for non-voluntary compliance.

Should not there be some middle ground here between the Mayor's 'voluntary' temporary shut down and permanent shut down of houses of worship?

It doesn't seem constitutional that a NYC Mayor actually would have the authority to permanently shut down a house of worship...what with 'Separation of Church and State'.

Yes, these are uncertain times...and compliance of the rules against large public gatherings should be temporarily restricted...but through OTHER means...certainly not by means of permanent closure of a specifically-oriented house of worship.

At face value...this looks like some very NAZI-like abuse of authority.

edit on 29-3-2020 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

+26 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

It's just the 1st Amendment.

And it's just Jews. It's not like he's shutting down mosques or churches!

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   

I'm not surprised.

Anytime broad controls are "temperately" enforced, we learn that some starts to seep into the more long term.

Maybe there's more to this, I haven't looked to far into it. But it truly wouldn't surprise me.

In my life, I've seen too many times something sold as temporary. And people always act like I'm crazy or paranoid when I question it or longer term agenda.

But as yall know how the sayin' goes. Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.”

Insanity is trying the same thing over and over expecting different results. The further we stray from personal responsibility, looking for the ever more popular term guidance from our government, the more BS that comes along with it.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Yeah, I guess Di Blasio figures the Jews should be used to this kind of thing by now.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 11:50 AM
link   

I know right... its just the jews who cares, obviously its for the greater good.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Not a chance he'd win a court case.
In other words the Synagogues could go tell him to take a running jump and if he tried to enforce it he'd LOSE.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 11:53 AM
link   

If it wasn't a religious building, and it was a bar or a gym that was refusing to comply, would it be okay to threaten to shut them down permanently?

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
Not a chance he'd win a court case.
In other words the Synagogues could go tell him to take a running jump and if he tried to enforce it he'd LOSE.

You aren't familiar with America in times of crisis.

Logic and laws aren't relevant here in times of crisis. We have to act and now, think of the children.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Looks like they are the only arrogant dumbasses to keep carrying on.

www.politico.com...

Gods chosen people and all...

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

It's just the 1st Amendment.

And it's just Jews. It's not like he's shutting down mosques or churches!

Yeah, I bet he would not dare threaten to shut down mosques like this.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 11:57 AM
link   
It's only a matter of time before they come for the Second. I can just hear the TV PSAs now, they could be blatant and unless people stop being wuss-asses, this is what you're going to get -- "You don't need the guns, let Father Government protect you. You're doing just fine without the houses of worship and right to assembly, so trust us to know what's best. Individuals who resist are society's problem children, we know what;s best for them, too."

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 12:01 PM
link   

I'm not jewish,but I have attended services in a synagogue before.
I listen to several Rabbi's online a lot and I think of myself as a
Jewish/Christian. I try to live by the Torah in my life and home.

I think the synagogues should be shut down for a while,but,never
permanently.

link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
Looks like they are the only arrogant dumbasses to keep carrying on.

www.politico.com...

Gods chosen people and all...

Nothing in your article about Mosques...hmmm.

link   

At face value...this looks like some very NAZI-like abuse of authority.

You might find this interesting...from back in 2010

www.youtube.com...

just a matter of time.....

edit on 29-3-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 12:02 PM
link   

A church near where I live decided to hold a huge prayer service for the pandemic. Cops had to go break it all up, the place was packed. Sometimes you just need to give people a kick in the bum to get the point across.

But he says potentially. I doubt it will get that far, the Jewish community in New York is massive, no way he'd win a court case.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Hell, the freedom to work/ply your trade and the freedom of travel have already been removed or curtailed. Soon, we will have US troops quartered in our houses while they impose martial law.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

I think the synagogues should be shut down for a while,but,never
permanently.

Agreed, Mama.
FINES are appropriate as a TEMPORARY measure.
PERMANENT closure is unconstitutional.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

lady who works for me got pulled over in Austin for not being home. Had to present a letter (ze paperz!) from the employer explaining she is "essential" and is allowed to not be grounded to her house.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: strongfp

lady who works for me got pulled over in Austin for not being home. Had to present a letter (ze paperz!) from the employer explaining she is "essential" and is allowed to not be grounded to her house.

I've heard of this happening. In the UK they have checkpoints, my employer handed us all a letter saying we are 'essential' just in case, we all thought it was a bit over the top, but now I am glad I have it. Just in case.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 12:09 PM
link   
The Mayor will learn that by targeting religion like he is, he will suffer the consequences. He will never be reelected and actually from the crazy crap he is doing, he may get recalled from being Mayor.

Permanent shutdown threats of churches is not a sane thing to be doing. I get that he has all sorts of crap coming at him from everywhere, but just say they must shut now or get fined ten thousand dollars.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join