It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you certain you can reach your bug out location

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I posted something similar in another prepper forum I frequent and the answers kinda left me scratching my head so figured I would try here as well.

(Note right now I do not have a bug out location)

So the SHTF in your location so concerned for yourself and your families lives you pack up and start to move, coming up on the last small town before you reach your cabin, there is a roadblock manned by county sheriff's deputies and civilians telling you to go away.

What do you do?

Now I ask the question because a sheriff in Georgia is turning around people from Atlanta right now, the cops in RI going door to door to evict people from out of state etc.

Now in the other forum some of the answers I got that left me going huh were;

If you can prove ownership they cannot stop you legally; if they are putting up roadblocks they obviously think the situation is dire so why would they be concerned with the law concerning an outsider.

Then of course the always amusing, I would just go cross country to the cabin; Really ever lived in the sticks a rancher would probably think your there for the herd and shoot you, rural folks knowing cops are a good distance away would shoot you to protect their families, then you have the criminal element that would shoot you to protect their illegal goods. (you get the idea its a good way to get shot full of holes)

Just take side roads they cant block them all; this kind of feeds into above quite a few of the "side" road looks will be long drive ways, its not like the city where you have 700 ways to get around depending on the location you could only have a handful of roads and if they barricade 1 road they will at least have lookouts on the others.

So what is your backup plan if the last town you have to pass through is saying no to outsiders?

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 08:16 AM
link   
My plan A is already screwed but we were a long way from being ready to bug out anyway, haven't heard too much about plan B which is less well known and much much less populated. Think even there had only two ways in that I knew of might have to pull out a map.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

I live on an island only 874 miles long populated by 66.44 million people.

Short of the Highlands which is rather inhospitable most times of the year.

I really don't see a bug out location being on many a Mans cards if I'm honest.

I'm afraid we will simply have to stand and deliver, but best to be the highwayman rather than a sheep.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 08:34 AM
link   
We're already in our bugout location. That's the great thing about living in a small town. We had a council meeting last week and CV was the topic of the meeting. You mentioned towns cutting themselves off...well we discussed it and talked about how to do it. There are 4 ways into town and all have bridges not too far out. If it comes to that point local PD and county sheriff will block entrance at those bridges. Thankfully we've been spared and have no cases....yet.

Your thoughts on cutting through the woods, or sticks as you call it most likely wouldn't get you shot. Unless you're up to no good. Then again, with the situation being a bugout for a virus, we might not be to friendly to folks coming our way.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Simon_Boudreaux

as i say it's not wise to tell your plans or what you have in a shtf scenario. be it a individual or group deal.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Living where I do now, I'm at my bug out location A, there is a B and C location I have in mind if things get really bad around here.

There are numerous "two-track" trails in various states of drivability around here as well as hiking and biking trails and numerous rivers and streams to boat out on as well. Routes like these will likely be open and free to travel.

The thing is, there would likely be numerous citizen road blocks (in addition to community ones) on local roads using things like heavy machinery or junk cars in the road. My personal idea is to drop large tress across my road and have a back way off my property to get around it if need be. If someone really wanted to get past that, they'd make a lot of noise doing it.

In my opinion, things would have to be Mad Max bad for that to happen. I feel pretty confident that most rural people will be acting within the law and will be helpful and sympathetic to friendly outsiders unless civilization broke down completely and it became completely lawless.
edit on 29-3-2020 by MichiganSwampBuck because: For Clarity

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Simon_Boudreaux

Guess we have different experiences... my bug out location before leaving Oklahoma involved passing through areas that were distrustful if you didnt have family connections we do for that area.

========================

I do not expect this situation to lead to a serious bug out requirement, but seeing law enforcement actively trying to stop movement in some areas made me wonder about a true SHTF scenario how hard core would people get.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Luckily my home is by BOL.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 09:37 AM
link   

My bug out location is right here where I live.

I was smart in making a great choice before I realised I'd made a great choice.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
I posted something similar in another prepper forum I frequent and the answers kinda left me scratching my head so figured I would try here as well.

(Note right now I do not have a bug out location)

So the SHTF in your location so concerned for yourself and your families lives you pack up and start to move, coming up on the last small town before you reach your cabin, there is a roadblock manned by county sheriff's deputies and civilians telling you to go away.

What do you do?

Now I ask the question because a sheriff in Georgia is turning around people from Atlanta right now, the cops in RI going door to door to evict people from out of state etc.

Now in the other forum some of the answers I got that left me going huh were;

If you can prove ownership they cannot stop you legally; if they are putting up roadblocks they obviously think the situation is dire so why would they be concerned with the law concerning an outsider.

Then of course the always amusing, I would just go cross country to the cabin; Really ever lived in the sticks a rancher would probably think your there for the herd and shoot you, rural folks knowing cops are a good distance away would shoot you to protect their families, then you have the criminal element that would shoot you to protect their illegal goods. (you get the idea its a good way to get shot full of holes)

Just take side roads they cant block them all; this kind of feeds into above quite a few of the "side" road looks will be long drive ways, its not like the city where you have 700 ways to get around depending on the location you could only have a handful of roads and if they barricade 1 road they will at least have lookouts on the others.

So what is your backup plan if the last town you have to pass through is saying no to outsiders?

Realistic, the masses will never make it. All at once. All without supplies or maybe...same roads, highways and interstates..filled with folks trying to get to their "bug-out" locations ..

Look at 911 photos of people WALKING out enmasse of New York City...this will be worse. Much.

1st Responder/EMT

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 10:16 AM
link   

I'm at my bug-out location..

My home in the hills..lol

If TSHTF, I'm already at a safe distance from all the BatS#@t crazy, I have a inexhaustible food and water supply.

If the BatS#@t crazy does come looking, they won't find much as I just trap it as I need it, keeping little on hand at any given moment.

My TP supply is also well hidden so they won't get that either..

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Now I ask the question because a sheriff in Georgia is turning around people from Atlanta right now,

Citation please.
I live near Atlanta .
Been here all my life.
I have not heard this , nor can I find anything on a search.
Unless you are speaking of the time a sheriff exposed himself.
Now that would drive folks away.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I can reach my bugout location, because my bugout location is where I live. Now if a forest fire threatens my place, I can reach my daughters house. I am not worried about bugging out, I do not live in an area at any high risk other than getting buried with snow. My bugout location will probably be my roof when it needs to be shoveled because we get buried with snow.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

In the state of Georgia Thread.

ATS, State of Georgia

RI has been threatened with a law suit from Cumo because they are turning new Yorkers back.

Fox news
edit on 29-3-2020 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Another thing after talking with a prepper in Pennsylvania that lives in a remote area, the first wave of New Yorkers that got out and came to their region cleaned the shelves of everything like locusts, then any that got sick were being airlifted back to New Jersey because the area only had clinics so couldn't care for the influx of sick.

How many people figured that in, for those at their BOL obviously you are in the catbird seat I am not there yet, or figured out how to take care of sick or injured cause odds are high you will not find the infrastructure to help you in those remote locations.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 03:56 PM
link   
There's no bugout for us right now.

We are well prepared for the next year to shelter in place and defend the property.

But I have learned my lesson. I am positioning myself financially so that when this is over I can buy very rural farmland and equipment, and then start building the infrastructure needed to get completely off the dependence grid. I'm not trying to totally isolate, but I am done living in cities.

Done.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I'm very sure since I would plan to bug-in. I think if you are in a big city you are screwed either way, unless you really are prepared well beyond what people would expect such as having wood and a simple jet stove, big blue 55 gallon barrels of water, plus all your food etc... seems a little too much for an apartment in a big city...lol

Now if you plan to bug out...good luck unless you get out days before SHTF...

edit on 29-3-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I am with you, right now I have to drive at least 30 mins to get anywhere or buy anything, but its not far enough out for me.

I own a house in OKC but ill never live there again, I just dont like cities anymore.

I am probably 2 years from being able to get that more remote property, I just ran out of time.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

I am probably 2 years from being able to get that more remote property, I just ran out of time.

Long term I have friends already remote maybe 2 hours away.... I live 20 mins out of Portland but it gets country real quick. I can turtle up until things settle down some.

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Nothing wrong with bugging in, that has been my primary plan for a number of years, in most situations its honestly the best situation.

In a pandemic how can you tell if someone is a carrier or not...

War time driving at the wrong time will at best get you picked up, at worst blown up/shot.

Civil war see above...

Natural disaster if you are rolling with a bunch of supplies you are making yourself a target for those that have guns but no supplies.

In my opinion bugging out should be a measure of last resort, but lots of people are in love with the idea of it, having humped a home made ruck over the mountains in Washington state, and then thinking of doing the same thing now carrying guns (for me it was survival school no guns), helping my wife, my son etc... no just no that is a nightmare I would only risk if everything was totally belly up and it was more dangerous to stay in my home.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join