It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Covid19 Movie Review.....The Gentleman

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 12:11 AM
link   
It's a Guy Richie film with an all star cast. Although the storyline isn't anything new, a typical power struggle between criminals and a intricate web of conflict via multiple groups.

It centers around a man who is trying to "retire" from the business, his decision to sell off his empire invokes a whirlwind of chaos with multiple factions trying to enrich themselves and their enterprises. It's told through long cutscenes of a PI who has followed all the action and documented it to sell the story to a local rag. But before he does that, he approaches the 2nd in command of the main character in an attempt to extort some money.

It's a bit slow at times and there is some confusion of events given it's a retelling via a 3rd party observer, but all the main points are crystal clear.

The real enjoyment I had was the cast, a great cast under an excellent director is something pleasant to watch. I always liked Colin Farrell(I'm going to dust off In Bruges and watch that tomorrow), maybe it helps that he tends to stay pretty low and doesn't do much work, with regard to (what I assume) is his ability to basically get any part he wants.

Well worth a watch if you are a fan of Guy or any of the main actors, or just the "euro" crime films.
It was an enjoyable film, with excellent acting and while a straightforward storyline was somewhat obvious, there was a few twists to keep it flowing.
edit on 29-3-2020 by ZapBrannigan3030 because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-3-2020 by ZapBrannigan3030 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: ZapBrannigan3030

Saw this one in theatre on a whim when I had a movie pass about to expire. Felt like a really good return to form for Guy Ritchie. Looking forward to giving it a second watch now that I know what is going on and see what I can pick up from the next viewing.

9/10

posted on Mar, 29 2020 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: MonkeyFishFrog
a reply to: ZapBrannigan3030

Saw this one in theatre on a whim when I had a movie pass about to expire. Felt like a really good return to form for Guy Ritchie. Looking forward to giving it a second watch now that I know what is going on and see what I can pick up from the next viewing.

9/10

One of the surprises for me was Hugh's performance.

I don't know why, I've never liked that man, he just comes off as obnoxious in what few films I've ever seen him in. He did great in this. I have to give him credit.

Matt is a mixed bag for me. Given his usual somewhat goofish tendency, he pulled off this role well. It was believable for sure.

I don't rewatch much these days unless it's old(due to nostalgia) or really really good. I'd probably rewatch this because it was atleast pretty interesting and as you said, a 2nd viewing might pick up a few things missed in the first.

join