It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival of the fittest, yes that includes small businesses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 02:56 PM
link   
There are some small businesses that I am amazed have survived this long.

I am seeing two paths right now.

There is a restaurant that I love. I noticed they were one of the first to start making family meals to go. They are all over
social media and adapted very quickly. I actually think they are making more money now than before the quarantine (constantly selling out). They are a small local place and not franchised.

There is a specialty service company, they outlined immediately how they will book for a discount for future use, or will do work now and come in full sanitary gear. They are getting completely booked up.

The other side..
There is a home decor business. They sell a lot of tchotchkes, seriously easy stuff to mail to bored people online all day. I mentioned that they should post photos on FB and mail. Several customers/people backed those comments... What do you think this place does. Nothing! Post several post about supporting small businesses.

Another place. There is a vintage dresser I liked, I asked the store if they would come down on price a little. (I know prices in this area and it was overpriced) The owner said no, too much interest so didn't want to lower price. It hasn't sold, and now the owner is crying about how are they going to "rescue" small business.

I think everyone wants to support small businesses, but sometimes small businesses have to help themselves too.
I know not every small business falls into those categories, so if it doesn't apply do not be offended.

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I produce alcohol needless to say restaurants and Bars arent even really open and Stores are focused on necessities. No employees so no payroll stimulus for Us. We can survive with no sales for 2 months but if it goes on longer I'm probably sunk.

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 03:12 PM
link   
i feel this goes for people in general. There are those that may have saved and didn't over spend and can survive a few months and those that live paycheck to paycheck and never save a dime. I own a small business for over 30 years always tried to get mortgages paid off. Always tried to live with less and i always had a back up plan with other options for work in case things got slow. Maybe this will teach people to save and live more simply. Kind of like our grand parents did during the depression

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ATruGod
I produce alcohol needless to say restaurants and Bars arent even really open and Stores are focused on necessities. No employees so no payroll stimulus for Us. We can survive with no sales for 2 months but if it goes on longer I'm probably sunk.

Dude, people are drinking more than ever! You need to market you products better because that's obviously where your problem is!

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: HODOSKE
i feel this goes for people in general. There are those that may have saved and didn't over spend and can survive a few months and those that live paycheck to paycheck and never save a dime. I own a small business for over 30 years always tried to get mortgages paid off. Always tried to live with less and i always had a back up plan with other options for work in case things got slow. Maybe this will teach people to save and live more simply. Kind of like our grand parents did during the depression

Totally agree. The mentality has changed somewhere along the line and everyone wants to be rescued. They don't even want to help themselves!

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 03:19 PM
link   
the liquor stores by us are considered essential business and do not have to shut down and most are offering free delivery .a reply to: Alien Abduct

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

Dude, people are drinking more than ever! You need to market you products better because that's obviously where your problem is!

People are buying booze in bulk here! $$$

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 03:20 PM
link   
true. it is all about what can you give me today a reply to: JAGStorm

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I have six employees being paid full salaries until the end of next week.
Today I told them they have some options.
I need two people at all times thru the week.

They can all work part time or two of them can work full time and the rest get laid off.

A couple of them want the lay off to work around their house...

Not sure what they will decide..
Either way the company will be fine for the foreseeable future.

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Meanwhile,

Cheesecake Factory claims it can't pay April rent because of coronavirus pandemic www.foxnews.com...

The Cheesecake Factory cannot afford to pay April rent for its nearly 300 restaurants because of the hit its business has taken during the coronavirus pandemic.

Cheesecake Factory chairman and CEO David Overton reportedly told landlords in a March 18 letter that a “severe decrease in restaurant traffic” has caused a "tremendous financial blow" amid the COVID-19 outbreak, as many locations have been forced to completely close, while others can only serve take-out and delivery.

The restaurant employs over 38,000 people across 294 locations through the U.S. and Canada, making it one of the largest restaurant employers in America.

You'd think a big chain like that would have some back up cash/plan, especially after furloughing thousands of its employees.

Cheesecake Factory says it’s not paying rent in April, has furloughed thousands of employees
www.marketwatch.com...

No stimulus grant for them!

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Restaurants are an extremely competitive cut throat business.
Some of them run on very slim margins and I'm guessing the cheesecake factory was already having some trouble.

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

What? With all the product placement they got with The Big Bang?

It's easy to criticize small businesses for not being prepared or adaptable enough. But Cheese Cake Factory, they don't deserve criticism?

edit on 27-3-2020 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Our Walmart super center in Wadesboro NC. just closed it's doors. But the service was always marginal to poor. Seems you have to be a bit courteous too. No big loss. They had been inconsistent with continued product for a long time, years.

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

I didn't say they don't deserve criticism.

To be honest I bet the restaurant industry will be one of the hardest hit.

Wait till waitresses get $15 minimum wage too and they will drop like flies.

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ATruGod

You say that you “produce alcohol”, as in a distillery?

If you actually make alcohol, you might be able to adapt like this California distillery has:

www.kron4.com...

Instead of calling it quits, Newman’s distillery is ramping up production. Rather than bottling vodka, whiskey and rum, they’re shifting focus to hand sanitizer as supplies dwindle across the country.

Adaptability is the key to survival.

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I locked the doors of my retail store and laid off my employees. That was the hard part. When and if the economy gets to be anything like normal, I'm going to give my store to my employees for them to own and operate. They helped me start the operation and they deserve to have it.

I have my Union gigs. And I'm working from home now and still getting scale. Nice not to have to drive 25 mi. to the studio but I miss the community.
edit on 27-3-2020 by olaru12 because: semi colon time....

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ATruGod

You sign up with postmates yet? They deliver booze in Denver. I am sure its a combination of local ordinance and participation, but it can't hurt to ask.

top topics

join