It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Point, click and shoot Live animals can now be hunted on the Web

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
On a Texas ranch, a new web phenomenon called computer-assisted remote hunting is available. A web hunter sits behind a terminal and when game moves into camera a mouse click will fire a remote controlled gun. A California lawmaker is so upset by the issue, she is attempting to implement a law banning it. The law would also make it illegal for a Californian to participate in it, at least for within the state. The National Rifle Association has also expressed concern with the practice.

sfgate.com
Sacramento -- On a Texas ranch, exotic sheep and antelope roam about, offering paying hunters an opportunity to bag some big game.

But when the prey wanders into view, the gun can be fired by someone half a world away with the simple click of a computer mouse.

A new Web phenomenon called computer-assisted remote hunting has so outraged one California lawmaker that she has introduced legislation to ban it.

With one Texas-based site up and running, lawmakers, animal activists and even gun owners want to put a stop to the practice before it becomes widespread.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Only one animal has been killed so far. However, one customer included a quadriplegic who can only use his facial muscles. I hate to say it, but I have hunted before and this sounds like a bit of fun to me. You can also target shoot at the site as well.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Fun, Fred?
I think not.
I find it appalling that wild animals can be targeted while the "hunter" sits behind the comfort of his keyboard.
This isn't sport at all. Reminds me a greta deal of the story, "The Most Dangerous Game."

Will humans be next?

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Im sorry, the moral / ethical issues aside, it sounds like fun. Now I do agree with you the danger is that someone will set up something akin to a human hunt in some third world country.

BTW, would not want to be near the remote gun when windows suffers a meltdown. The Blue screen of death would take on a new meaning

[edit on 3/11/05 by FredT]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I wonder if it's not just a scam. Perhaps they have a video loop of a real hunt and they just run it over time and time again.
I think about all the time I spent in a tree stand waiting for a stupid deer to walk by. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if you could be updating your timesheets or balancing the check book while you get that second cup of joe...

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   
The NRA supports and encourages the disabled to participate in the shooting sports. In fact, there are no special categories for disabled shooters in NRA sponsored events. Everyone competes together.

I have no problem with the use of technology to facilitate participation in the shooting sports, but this is not the way to kill animals.

Supporters of gun ownership rights have also signaled their concern with the practice. Kelly Hobbs, a spokeswoman for the National Rifle Association, said the group is still reviewing the specific language in the bill, but doesn't agree with the practice of being able to hunt over the Internet.

"The NRA believes the element of a fair chase is a vital part of the American hunting heritage," she said. "Shooting an animal from three states away would not be considered a fair chase."

sfgate.com.../c/a/2005/03/10/MNGHOBN6LT1.DTL

[edit on 05/3/11 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
The NRA supports and encourages the disabled to participate in the shooting sports. In fact, there are no special categories for disabled shooter in NRA sponsored events. Everyone competes together.

I have no problem with the use of technology to facilitate participation in the shooting sports, but this is not the way to kill animals.

I hunt myself but have to agree with Grady on this.

Should it be outlawed?

I dont think so, but IMO it ruins the hunt.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Horrible.

As knowing of and participating in hunting myself, I can honestly say this is the worst thing I have ever heard.

Like it was stated, where is the challenge? The honor? The sport?

Nowhere in sight.

This is simply disgusting, hunting for food is one thing, but sitting there and killing animals at will for no reason other than "fun" is absolutely horrible.

I'm sorry Fred, but your views on this disgust me =/

-wD

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Living in Montana, I hunt.

But this is far beyond reason. How do you claim or tag the animal after
you shot it? Do you pay a license fee? How do they keep the computer
from getting wet? It never rains there? It does not make any sense to me.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Now you know what all those cameras on the street corners are for. Next come the rifles. Point-click-shoot. This rather complicates the bodyguard business, no? Combine this with facial digitizing and an 'enemy of the state' could be eliminated Colossus-style with no human interface.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
hey...

that is my dell in that pic

anyway, this is cool...

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 02:24 AM
link   
You know, there are so many other more important things to worry about, why would anyone care what this guy does on his private property with animals he owns? What the heck is the difference if he shoots them and eats them, lets them die of starvation in the wintter like many other animals do, or whatever? He owns them and can do as he pleases. If this does not affect you in a negative way, then live and let live! There are more important things that have an affect on us that we should be worrying about!

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Great idea.

Now people that flinch, are physically challenged, squeamish, etc. can kill and see real blood!

Much better than Quake and the other games. This is the real stuff.

Give it a few years and illegal aliens can be targeted with special permits? Wow, what would the fee be for that?

Let's see- sound suppressors are next, then silencers, then auto-target, then auto-shoot?

Pay a fee, drink a beer and watch in air conditioned comfort while blood and body material get sprayed over the brush. Boy, sounds like the new age of hunting to me.

So FredT, when is your next visit to Texas? Will you post some pics? I want to see head shots only, O.K.?

*edit- brainstorm
Use Paypal and hunt over the Internet!

[edit on 12-3-2005 by JoeDoaks]

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by WeBDeviL
Horrible.

As knowing of and participating in hunting myself, I can honestly say this is the worst thing I have ever heard.

Like it was stated, where is the challenge? The honor? The sport?

Nowhere in sight.

There is no honour or sport in hunting.

top topics

join