It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No More Tanks? – are tanks becoming obsolete?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: roguetechie
a reply to: asabuvsobelow

Thanks.

It's a strange combination of entertaining and sanity breaking to read what normal people believe is true wrt military technology versus the actual situation.

It honestly kinda scares me though that the USMC announcement of their new policies would convince anyone who read the articles that it in any way could have been an indicator tanks were obsolete. Especially since every article I found said outright that the Marines still intend to utilize tanks and tankers from the army whenever they were necessary.

I also personally believe that the Marines are making a fundamentally good and long overdue choice here. It's unnecessary and financially untenable for us to keep using the Marines as a second army and has been for decades.

The power of the Marines derives from the Presidental power to use the Marines with out congressional approval, The Army of course requires a congressional approval before it can be used, Hints why the Marines will always kind of be a Second Army.

Also , Tanks and Infantry are a match made in heaven. It would be foolish to do away with tanks in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: asabuvsobelow

While I agree with you personally, I'm also of the opinion that we're very likely gonna see the m8 get the nod under the MPF project which the Marines should then get.

In many ways the MPF m8 strikes me as a better tank for the USMC.

While I think it could be done better, I believe that the m8 should be good enough. (Thank God Chinese tanks are kinda a joke, not as bad as India's but still pretty bad)

<< 1   >>

join