It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jobless claims soar past 3 million to record high

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Know why its so easy to remember that and the one about your doctor?
They were the two mistakes Obama made.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Your saying that just made me realize. The entire world will come through this in even greater debt to the banks. Game, set, match... We're screwed.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: SeektoUnderstand

They also had a longer life expectancy than a good portion of europe. Happy relaxed people. Warm climate. Great food.
Kisses fingertips to you but only cyber kisses.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

It was here before they were even thinking about how to handle it. Weeks and weeks ago.
There was never any stopping it from coming here because it was spreading during a time when people didnt even know they were sick.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: SeektoUnderstand

Their diet did not contribute to their deaths. The fact that their health care system, a very good health care system too, was completely overwhelmed by the number of people who got sick was why they died. Probably a lot of them would not have died but for the lack of equipment and facilities or personnel to handle them all.
And because it spreads fast and is much deadlier than the flu.
edit on 3262020 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

That lousy democrat virus is just ruining everything.
We cant even get people to pay attention to Joe Biden and all his flaws with this going on.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Feltrick
I stated some businesses wouldn't reopen and stated others would take their place. That's how it works.

It isn't going to happen quickly, you're looking at a 6-12 month recovery, minimum. It may be even longer if depending on how much more stupid we allow our fiscal policy to become.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

That doesnt sound like something anyone was paying attention to in the first place so if he walks it back who cares.
No one was planning on shutting down any place for eighteen months.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Its not going to be that long.
If they need to get a loan to get by it wont be like a house loan. It will be a couple of thousand at most.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 03:43 PM
link   

I'm not worried about individuals. Where do you think the government is getting the money for all this? It isn't taxes.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

A full recovery will last longer but, again, this situation is temporary...it ain't the great depression or the apocalypse as being sold by the media. 6 months in the big scheme of things is quick, but certain sectors (i.e. shops, restaurants, bars, hotels, etc) will recover day 1. Heck, I already have a reservation made at my favorite spot! In the meantime, businesses are staying afloat thru takeout and folks purchasing gift cards.

We are moving into summer and people have been bottled up for so long they will be out in droves pumping money into small and large business.

On a positive note, folks are hopefully waking up to the fact that we (USA) need to manufacture meds, among other things, and not rely on other countries. That means jobs where there were none.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 04:03 PM
link   

We are moving into summer and people have been bottled up for so long they will be out in droves pumping money into small and large business.

Maybe it's not registering with you just how many people aren't working and aren't going to have discretionary income even when this does end.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Which will protect us more because we are more isolated in our cars away from people.

My wife is European and I grew up in Europe so we have a very big advantage in most of our country due to the wide open spaces and personal vehicles. Just nix that advantage on the E. Seaboard and LA/San Fran of course....

a reply to: JAGStorm

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Those people who aren't working now will be employed once this is over. Those that do have "discretionary" income will be spending by going out and going on trips.

We are a nation of 320+ million, there are more folks employed than those who aren't at this time. Those who are now unemployed are temporarily unemployed due to state mandated closures. They did not close permanently, they were closed temporarily. Once the closures are lifted people will be hired back and life will go on.

That said, some businesses will not return but others will take thier place and, again, life will go on.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Ill concede that point Silly, odds are staggeringly high that nothing could have stopped the train wreck cause we didnt see it coming till the first wheels were off the track.

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Those people who aren't working now will be employed once this is over. Those that do have "discretionary" income will be spending by going out and going on trips.

There is no way for you to know this and the longer the shutdown continues the more improbable it becomes that the economy returns to normal. The likelihood is many measures put in place remain for some time even after restrictions are lifted; telecommuting, reduced travel, etc. All of those lead to a reduction in spending and less jobs.

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 07:34 AM
link   

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens by May/June. I dont see this being as apocalyptic as the media (social and main stream) are making this out to be.

The hospitality industry is being hit hard but many are adapting. Local distilleries in PA are making hand sanitizer and are selling more liquor since the State Stores are closed. Restaurants and local breweries are offering takeout and delivery. They are staying afloat during this time and are ready to go into full production once the closures are lifted.

Not sure what industry you and your spouse are in or why employees are permanently furloughed but if they were needed prior to the shutdown, why wont they be needed afterwards?

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 07:36 AM
link   

The hospitality industry is being hit hard but many are adapting.

I'm in industrial/commercial sales, what we sell everyone uses. Every single person on the planet. And with the exception of a few projects every single one of our customers, of which Hilton is the largest, has their projects on hold.

Will these restart? Eventually. Will some of them never restart due to funding issues or other unforeseen circumstances due to this shutdown? Damn right and we've already had cancellations. Some people are running on shoestrings and this shutdown caused them to fail.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join