It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freedom is doing what you are told to do

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Mach2
Take WWII for example. The government instituted a myriad of regulations. Given the circumstances, were they not justified?

No, I'd say nearly all of them we unjustified: locking up American citizens, having the press lie to the public, etc.

Not much of a student of history, are you.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:39 AM
link   
This isn't about freedom. This is about acting in the benefit of the common good. That we place what is in the best interest of our fellow citizens ahead of our own self-interest. Why is that so hard to understand? This is a temporary inconvenience that we'll get through if we work together. Or it can go every-man-for-himself. I thought Patriotism was focused on the 'greater good'.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:40 AM
link   

edit on 26-3-2020 by Plotus because: has become worthless

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Don't listen to that guy!

I think Janis had it right all along...

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

link   

originally posted by: jtma508
This isn't about freedom. This is about acting in the benefit of the common good. That we place what is in the best interest of our fellow citizens ahead of our own self-interest. Why is that so hard to understand? This is a temporary inconvenience that we'll get through if we work together. Or it can go every-man-for-himself. I thought Patriotism was focused on the 'greater good'.

Lets pretend all is as it seems.

link   
"freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose. . . . "

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

Don't listen to that guy!

I think Janis had it right all along...

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

HA!

Look above!

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:43 AM
link   

I am, and that's why I can say that. Take your pick on anyone and I'll be more than happy to show you why they weren't needed or what little effect they actually had.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:45 AM
link   

You on my wavelength again today?

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: jtma508

The big problem is that they've spent a lot of time breaking down our sense of community with others around us.

They break down the idea of family, they break down the idea of neighborhood, they break down the idea of faith community.

Those things were the ties that held us together in socially cohesive groups that gave us that sense of responsibility to others we cared about because we knew them. Those were ties that made us self-reliant because we felt like we needed to chip in and help those others like they helped us when we needed them. Those would be the people we would be thinking of right now to make us feel responsible to stay in and do our part to help keep all the people we care about healthy during this time and to help them get through in any small ways you can.

But look at how many ways they've undercut those things to make us all islands living only for ourselves. If all you have is yourself and all you care about is yourself, then why bother with "doing your part" for anyone else?

Ironically, it was those very ties and communities that made us independent, self-reliant people. We could make it on our own because we had those support nets to fall back on, and we supported them in turn. When we are on our own, we have no one, and if we fall, all is lost. Government likes that because then we turn to them and need them, and they can rule us.
edit on 26-3-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I am, and that's why I can say that. Take your pick on anyone and I'll be more than happy to show you why they weren't needed or what little effect they actually had.

I'll bite.

Rationing/price controls?

Coastal blackouts?

Directed industry?

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Did I just wake up in another timeline?

No.

The right and left claim to love freedom but what they both really mean is that they want people to be free to do what they like people doing. Anything else is wrong and people should not be free to do those things.
problem is that what people like changes depending on who you talk to.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

You also have to consider that these days many people who talk about freedom mean freedom from responsibility, not true liberty. It's tough to sort one from the other.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Excellent monitoring DB.
Get his name.

Important.

# 1089

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That's not true. They're not breaking down anything. We are doing what we are doing (self-quarantining) FOR our neighbors, communities, etc.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I often buy tonic water, soda water with quinine in it. I doubt there is much in it, but it has a distinct taste to it. Rather refreshing too, on ice.

But of course, any medication for malaria containing quinine is schedule 4 here, meaning prescription only, and procuring it is illegal.

Why not...

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Mach2

Good lord, my reply was about government overreach and violating citizens rights and you go with topics that have nothing to do with those.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 09:06 AM
link   

To some extent he has a point:

What are people "told" that they see as quashing their freedoms and rights?

Don't sleep around - why - to keep you from getting STD's, at least 2 of which are incurable (Herpes of which one strain causes cancer of the cervix or penis and HIV) - an unwanted Pregnancy (leading to poverty or possibly with enough of them fertility issues, not to mention mental health problems)

Don't get drunk - why - you lose control and do thing you will regret - do it enough and you develop a serious addiction that could ruin your life

Don't steal - why - to hell with the morality of it - getting put in jail and ruining your life chances later

Don't lie - and I'm talking not the little ones to prevent hurting feelings - people come to distrust you and that ruins your career chances - people will avoid you - you will end up miserable and disliked - in worst case lying can land you in jail if done on the witness stand

Don't do illegal drugs - why - addiction comes far too quickly with many/most of them and are life destroyers

Don't deeply desire "things" you can't have - why - it makes you miserable - it makes you think about doing stuff to get the stuff that you otherwise would not do - you are simply torturing yourself - ambition is great, wallowing in not having the latest smartphone is self torture and not worth the effort spent making yourself miserable

There are lots of things that people are told to do that actually end up making them more free in the end and happier in the end.

For right now, the freedoms taken away that make you more free in the long run:

If you are a Senior Citizen, don't go out and mingle with people - why? - you increase your chance of getting seriously ill, very seriously ill and dying

If you are young, don't lick toilet seats in challenges - or do other stupid things for a second of internet fame - one guy who did this became very very miserably ill with coronavirus

There are many restrictions in this life that actually give you more freedom, more health, better mental health in the long run.

Sometimes we have to suck it up and not think like infants,

that we are the center of the world and what we want to do has no consequences -

our freedom to do what we want, when we want -

is all we want and demand.

We see that clearly in those who have tantrums over being restricted during a time of a pandemic.

Yes, at times, like the Chinese and their google supplied "social credit system" is evil and destroys freedom completely. That I am not denying.

The current restrictions have a long term test,

if they end when the pandemic ends,

then fighting them is freedom destroying.

If they continue then there is a problem.

Give it time, something our society has lost the ability to do.

edit on 3/26/20 by The2Billies because: grammar addition

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Seems like in South Africa the law could view conspiracy theories as fake news, punishable by jail time.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 09:16 AM
link   
There comes a point when the government crosses the line when it comes to restricting “freedoms “.

In the situation we are in right now I trust “the government “ because so far their edicts make sense.

I guess the example to reference would be during WWII

Where exactly that line is, I’m conflicted.

I suppose forcibly taking people to FEMA camps might be a game changer.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join