It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freedom is doing what you are told to do

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Was getting ready for work and I just had to pause.

I had the television on, it was switched to Fox News. The blond morning chick was interviewing the Flag & Folds guy about Covid-19. (Not sure what he does, but it's something for vets).

He said, and I might be paraphrasing just a bit, "Freedom is doing what you are told to do".

My jaw hit the floor.

Ummm, wait, what?

Freedom is doing what you are told to do.

Really. Now we're redefining freedom? C'mon people! For the love of GOD! That's not freedom.

That's. . . well that's the opposite of freedom.

Did I just wake up in another timeline?

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

How else would one describe freedom? Real freedom is doing exactly what your told, anything else is dumb.

I encourage everyone do exactly what your government tells you to do because history has proven that to be the best option.

Government rules= Freedom

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I think you did.

At work today, some co worker was saying she was happy to give up a little freedom to be safe...

And then how Trump wants us to die or he would have done the right thing, Marshall lae.

link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Did I just wake up in another timeline?

If this keeps up I hope we wake up in 1775-ish timeline of murderous outrage.

link   

People in China being told what to do is likely what caused this entire virus fiasco,

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:12 AM
link   
If being told what to do is better then what one would have done , isn't that freedom ?

edit on 26-3-2020 by dude1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I'm glad that guy cleared that one up, I was beginning to wonder. I've been super free for a long time, doing what the ole lady tells me to do for over 20 years now, free as a bird I am apparently.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Context is important.

Everyone doing as they please is anarchy.

While I, personally, think it is being overblown, in times of emergency, even in a "free" society, there are rules that need to be followed.

You can certainly make a case that the cure is worse than the condition, but blanket statements are rarely true for all situations.

Take WWII for example. The government instituted a myriad of regulations. Given the circumstances, were they not justified?

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mach2
Take WWII for example. The government instituted a myriad of regulations. Given the circumstances, were they not justified?

No, I'd say nearly all of them we unjustified: locking up American citizens, having the press lie to the public, etc.

edit on 26-3-2020 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer but he does have Corona

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Mach2

He could have said, "Patriotism is doing what you're told to do", "Nationalism is doing what you're told to do".

Freedom and "doing what you're told to do" do not belong in the same sentence.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:18 AM
link   

You do have it wrong DBCowboy.

It was fed to us slowly, like frogs in a pot of hot water that is coming to a boil. In the 1970s, when the government passed a law requiring us to wear seatbelts in the cars we own and pay for, the principal was established. Health and Safety was a higher priority that constitutional rights.

When the government forced us to put fire alarms in the homes we own, it was re-inforced. Health and Safety is a higher priority than constitutional rights. Your home is no longer your castle.

Now some might argue that these are good laws because they "save laws" and "reduce health care costs". So now the government went one step further.

Smoking laws - now the government could force the owner and operator of a bar to stop serving people who want to smoke while they drink and party. All based on non-reproducible epidimiological studies and based on the "comfort" of the non-smoking public, who were never required to enter a bar that allowed smoking!

Now the premise is that freedom is nothing in the face of personal preferences of the majority in places they don't own and don't pay for.

Freedom is long gone and Covid19 is just showing you how far "health and safety" is considered the law above all else. We are quarantined because the government is afraid that the health system might be overwhelmed.

Why not just deny treatment for Covid to anyone over 60 and allow them to die or recover as nature wills.

Now our global economy has be destroyed so that no-0ne had to make the tough choice.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Well, I still have the freedom to choose what medicine I take. I have been studying chloroquinone and am not interested in buying a fish tank additive....that would be stupid.

So I started studying quinine, I am allowed to do that yet I hope, it is the basis for chloroquinine, it is active at fighting Malaria and will work somewhat for helping to protect us from this virus.

"Grabs coffee cup and slurps down some coffee"

Ahhh, had another anticovid treatment, might help me to fight off this virus.

www.coffeescience.org...

Now, is this why I don't get sick as bad as the wife gets sick, because I drink twice as much coffee?

I wonder if there is quinine in chocolate chips, one of the chocolate chip cookies we made the other day sure would go good with this coffee.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Welcome to 1984
luckily in a parallel universe all is well.
edit on 0000003082438America/Chicago26 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

You do have it wrong DBCowboy.

It was fed to us slowly, like frogs in a pot of hot water that is coming to a boil. In the 1970s, when the government passed a law requiring us to wear seatbelts in the cars we own and pay for, the principal was established. Health and Safety was a higher priority that constitutional rights.

When the government forced us to put fire alarms in the homes we own, it was re-inforced. Health and Safety is a higher priority than constitutional rights. Your home is no longer your castle.

Now some might argue that these are good laws because they "save laws" and "reduce health care costs". So now the government went one step further.

Smoking laws - now the government could force the owner and operator of a bar to stop serving people who want to smoke while they drink and party. All based on non-reproducible epidimiological studies and based on the "comfort" of the non-smoking public, who were never required to enter a bar that allowed smoking!

Now the premise is that freedom is nothing in the face of personal preferences of the majority in places they don't own and don't pay for.

Freedom is long gone and Covid19 is just showing you how far "health and safety" is considered the law above all else. We are quarantined because the government is afraid that the health system might be overwhelmed.

Why not just deny treatment for Covid to anyone over 60 and allow them to die or recover as nature wills.

Now our global economy has be destroyed so that no-0ne had to make the tough choice.

We voted to buckle up our kids in the seventies. They used that to form precidence to make adults buckle up. The money generated from all the seat belt tickets probably totals billions of dollars nation wide, and it really did not deter injuries that much because people felt more confident so got relaxed and did not pay attention as much and also went faster in bad weather conditions. According to the insurance companies the accidents got worse. the injuries were worse. The damage to cars got worse.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Freedom means doing exactly what I want, regardless of the consequences. For example, since I'm young at heart ,I went to spring break .....mingled and frolicked......then on the way home I stopped to visit granny and gramps. Or maybe , I live in NYC and have decided to leave this horrid sickness-ridden city even though many of my close family are showing symptoms of covid19. Yup, I'm free and willing to jeopardize anyone and everyone wherever and whenever !

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Get used to it.

We are all ruled, not by our elected rulers but by the WHO.

Unless we are willing to abolish socialied medicine and go back to the old ways of survive the best you can, be aware that your life will be circumscribed by rules to "protect" you or to "reduce healthcare costs".

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Perhaps a better phrasing would be: Freedom is being able to choose to do what we are told we should.

So I guess there the test would if we are able to choose to do this or if we are forced. In many cases, this has been forced on lots of us in subtle and not so subtle ways.

Our businesses were forcibly closed or had heavy restrictions placed on them. That was no one's choice at work there. Our children were forced to stay at home and do remote schoolwork. That wasn't choice either, but then there isn't choice on whether or not they go to school in some ways.

We are allowed to leave the house, so we aren't imprisoned unless we choose to be. So I guess there is some freedom there.

**EDIT**

But I would add that in most cases, the lockdowns have also been imposed at state and local levels too.
edit on 26-3-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Don't fret precious, I'm here
Step away from the window, go back to sleep
Safe from pain and truth and choice and other poison devils
See, they don't give a f*** about you like I do

I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and all your demons
I'll be the one to protect you from a will to survive and a voice of reason
I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and your choices, son
They're one in the same
I must isolate you
Isolate and save you from yourself

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:32 AM
link   
That's just a little glimpse of George Orwell's warning to us coming true...

"War is peace."
"Freedom is slavery."
"Ignorance is strength."

Doublethink is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in one’s mind simultaneously.
The Party develops this ability in it’s citizens by undermining their individuality, independence and autonomy and by creating an environment of constant fear through propaganda. In this way, the Party breaks down their ability to think rationally and makes citizens accept and believe anything they tell them, even if it is entirely illogical.

Source

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Mach2

He could have said, "Patriotism is doing what you're told to do", "Nationalism is doing what you're told to do".

Freedom and "doing what you're told to do" do not belong in the same sentence.

Well, I can agree that, perhaps he could have chosen better words, but given the individual's stance on other issues such as the 2nd amendment, I'm sure he didn't mean for it to be taken as encouraging a "submissive" populace.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join