It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corporate Takeover Of News Media And The Extinction Of Journalism.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Following on from this thread about conditioning schedules and corporate media 'perception management' thought it might be prudent to look at the history of the gradual corporate takeover and ownership of the Western media.. and how nowadays the news seems far more 'managed' than reported.

Despite its political slant really did think the documentary 'Orwell Roll In His Grave' was a very good one and it contains some really important facts and interviews with 'appalled' journalists concerning the elimination of the 'Fairness Act'; the 'perverse move' of giving media corporations 'free speech rights' and the complete domination of small independent stations - the corporate implementation of 'ideological warfare' is also discussed and the full unabridged three hour version can be found here.

'Orwell Rolls In His Grave'

"Could a media system, controlled by a few global corporations with the ability to overwhelm all competing voices, be able to turn lies into truth?

The Telecommunications Act.

"You will not see this story on any television or hear it on any radio broadcast"

Sen John McCain

Also, when it comes to realising complete monopoly over the fourth estate it's also nice to reexamine some of the other mechanisms employed and think it's fair to say when Bill Clinton passed the 1996 'Telecommunications Act' many folks were completely unaware of it (over the course of 9 months it got only 19 minutes news coverage).

Apparently all existing safeguards were flushed down the toilet and 'rules of the airwaves were rewritten and all regulation thrown out'.

Passed in 1996 under President Bill Clinton, the Telecommunications Act has resulted in large-scale deregulation of the entire US media industry, removing many limitations on the number of different media outlets that can be owed by a single company.

Today, six corporations control 90 percent of all of the media output in the United States. As we will see, this has affected the quality, variety, and accessibility of US media in a number of ways.

10 Ways Mass Media Ownership Hurts The Public

Don't know how other members feel but I know many folks out there who now think the corporate media is an absolute joke - in an ideal world perhaps the Fairness Act would be restored, the Telecommunications Act revoked and the (very few) corporate entities who own the media held accountable to the people.. don't suspect that will ever happen though.

Anyway here's a nice definition of a Mediaocracy and a relevant quote straight out of the Nazi playbook:

"What you need to control the media is ostensible diversity that conceals an actual uniformity"

Joseph Goebbels

edit on 26-3-2020 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I don't think it has anything to do with corporate stuff.

I think all the journalists are getting indoctrinated in their education.

and I think journalism appeals to political types. change the world! destroy the Republicans!

ironic that 'big corporations' allow all this anti-capitalist leftist garbage...but anymore big CEO types are themselves leftists.
edit on 01032020 by ElGoobero because: clarify

there's also some paternalism involved. just like Cardinals select a Pope, journalists hire other journalists, so they're almost sure to hire ideological allies.
edit on 01032020 by ElGoobero because: add content

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

and I think journalism appeals to political types. change the world! destroy the Republicans!

So you ignore OP's post to write some half-thought about how journalists are too liberal and education is indoctrination. Go back to your corporate shill fox-news pundits.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

Well I was going to point that out but nvm you beat me.

But in all fairness all news lies left and right also up and down.

To the OP, great thread!

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: ElGoobero

ironic that 'big corporations' allow all this anti-capitalist leftist garbage...but anymore big CEO types are themselves leftists.

Perhaps you're right about individual journalists and it certainly is ironic about multinational corporations promoting 'anti-capitalist leftist garbage' (as you put it)...perhaps everyone is being played and it's more about division.

If you've not seen it before I'd still give the documentary a watch though - especially if you hold strong views on the subject.

This vid is also important one as it explores the (very) close connection between the corporate media and intelligence agencies like the CIA (citing specific examples).

Media Control & Mockingbird Today.

Even after all these years, Operation Mockingbird, the CIA program to infiltrate and control U.S. journalism, is still not well known. Officially, Mockingbird ended in the 1970s after it was exposed. In reality, control over our establishment media is deeper and more insidious than ever before. 

Also found it very interesting that the Saudi elite are heavily involved in the co-ownership of the corporate media.

Cheers.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
a reply to: ElGoobero

So you ignore OP's post to write some half-thought about how journalists are too liberal and education is indoctrination. Go back to your corporate shill fox-news pundits.

Pot, meet kettle.

Journalism died decades ago, we haven't seen honest reporting since Watergate. Some of us were alive to see when the news was just reporting facts that happened or were happening. Now it doesn't matter where you look, it's mostly garbage and opinion from few that are honestly educated about anything. What used to matter was the facts, now all that matters everywhere you look is hyperbole and opinion. It's sad really, journalism used to be a vocation to look up to.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: karl 12

We don't have a choice, don't know if we've ever had a choice, what we have is the illusion of choice.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 07:32 AM
link   
My Dad was in the radio biz for 40+ years in upper management and owned some towards the end of his career. Before 96' one person or corporation could own one FM and order one AM in any single given market.

He saw the handwriting on the walls in the few years leading up to the passage of that act and sold. I remember him saying this is the end of journalism and not understanding what he meant at the time.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:18 AM
link   

It’s pretty obvious that the media today is a joke.
Either it’s a big conspiracy or the “journalists” are just plain lazy.

Just look at the videos out there that show the reporters repeating the exact word for word talking points.

edit on 26-3-2020 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I think that you covered this topic well karl. I might only add that this ''takeover'' trend started much earlier and was given a boost by Reagan when he did away with reams of governmental oversight of corporate holdings, all in the name of ''trickle down economics''.

As for Clinton, well, he got what he was after. His administration presided over the huge electronic and computer explosion which revived the economy and made stats look so good. Sadly, he was no real liberal, but more a centrist and corporate supporter, that is if it helped his own career, which of course it did.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Appreciate the replies and really does look like objective journalism has now gone extinct- also really liked this quote 'attributed' to George Orwell:

“Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed; everything else is public relations.”

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Either it’s a big conspiracy or the “journalists” are just plain lazy.

Yeah it's probably a conspiracy mate.

Here's some interesting claims from a quite well respected news editor and author here in Europe about NCOs (Non-official cover) which occurs 'when a journalist is essentially working for the CIA'.

"I was bribed by billionaires, I was bribed by the Americans to report…not exactly the truth.”

– Udo Ulfkotte, a former editor of one of Germany’s main daily publications, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung

Some readers will see this and immediately dismiss it as Russian propaganda since the interview appeared on RT. This would be a serious mistake.

Whether you want to admit it or not, CIA control of the media in the U.S. and abroad is not conspiracy theory, it is conspiracy fact.

link

Also seems some folks thought his untimely death smelled a bit fishy.

link

Cheers.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

We don't have a choice, don't know if we've ever had a choice, what we have is the illusion of choice.

I don't know either bud but well said.

Would be interested in your opinion on the vids posted in the other linked thread.

Some rather disturbing speculation and certainly some very interesting times ahead.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 01:53 PM
link   

What proves America, at least the mainstream, never had any real journalism was the JFK assassination where the establishment didn’t challenge the blatant lies of the governments' Warren Commission cover-up.

Only non-mainstream true journalists like Mark Lane and Jim Marrs led the stream of opposition to the lies of the MSM.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

What proves America, at least the mainstream, never had any real journalism was the JFK assassination where the establishment didn’t challenge the blatant lies of the governments' Warren Commission cover-up.

Yes mate did you see the first commercial shown after the JFK assassination?

Could be nothing but I do agree with your comments and perhaps that was the pivotal moment.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: karl 12

I don't know either bud but well said.

Would be interested in your opinion on the vids posted in the other linked thread.

Some rather disturbing speculation and certainly some very interesting times ahead.

Right now I'm living it.

Just had the second clinic in my area shut down because of "presumptive" Covid-19 infection with staff.

Sh#t just got real and real close.

But we're trying to keep people calm, sane, rational.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 05:30 PM
link   

This is a great thread!

It explains why people in the west can never say they live in a democracy. With billionaires controlling the media, and ultimately peoples minds, we can only refer to our current state as a plutocracy.

And it really bugs me that more people aren't aware of this. That's why we end up with so many corporate lenient leaders. It's the reason why we have so much inequality in the world too.

Hopefully the day that the majority wakes up isn't too far away.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: jamespond

The MSM is also infiltrated by the Intel community to conform to their way of thinking.

That’s why 911 and JFK will never be solved until the apocalypse but then it will be irrelevant!

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 02:17 AM
link   
a reply to: karl 12LOL,takeover they are the original financiers and developers,they have always controlled ,just some are waking the F up,and drawing conclusion's,otherwise nothing new here

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Right now I'm living it.

Yes sh•t got real serious real quick here in Spain as well mate - calm, sane and rational is definitely what you need.

Shame about the title of that film as it detracts from the info contained within it - the other vid also discusses how corporate media is at war with 'alternative' opinion and websites like this one.

Ideological warfare indeed.

originally posted by: jamespond

Hopefully the day that the majority wakes up isn't too far away.

Hopefully so mate, I kind of see a person who keeps on going back to mainstream media for their news as someone who keeps on returning to an abusive relationship (but that's just me).

Also, I know I keep posting about Intel agency involvement but it's probably one of the biggest contributing factors to the extinction of journalism so here we go.

• The link to the Dolan article below is now defunct but there"s also 50 interesting points here from Professor James Tracy.

.In addition ,the history of the U.S. media shows unsettling developments,not least of which is penetration by the intelligence community. 

By the early 1950s,the CIA had cosy relationships with most major media executives in America. 
The most significant of these were with the New York Times, Washington Post, Christian Science Monitor, New York Herald Tribune, Saturday Evening Post, Miami Herald, Time-Life, CBS News, Scripps-Howard Newspapers, Hearst Newspapers, The Associated Press, United Press International, The Mutual Broadcasting System and Reuters. 
In addition ,the CIA had major ownership over many proprietary publications throughtout Europe,Asia and the Americas. 

By the early 1970s the agency admitted to having working relationships with over four hundred American journalists. 

Consider the possiblities with four hundred strategically placed people throughout the mainstream media. 

There is evidence that this relationship continues.

Cheers.

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

I think that you covered this topic well karl. I might only add that this ''takeover'' trend started much earlier and was given a boost by Reagan when he did away with reams of governmental oversight of corporate holdings, all in the name of ''trickle down economics''.

Thanks Terry and there's a relevant pic here about trickle down economics.

When it comes to Reagan's FCC abolishing the Fairness Doctrine didn't know that an attempt was made back in 1993 to reinstate it - it's been argued by some that it had a detrimental effect on news media but, for what it's worth, here are the two basic FCC requirements from 1949.

• that every licensee devote a reasonable portion of broadcast time to the discussion and consideration of controversial issues of public importance

• and that in doing so, [the broadcaster must be] fair – that is, [the broadcaster] must affirmatively endeavor to make … facilities available for the expression of contrasting viewpoints held by responsible elements with respect to the controversial issues presented.

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

As for Clinton, well, he got what he was after. His administration presided over the huge electronic and computer explosion which revived the economy and made stats look so good. Sadly, he was no real liberal, but more a centrist and corporate supporter, that is if it helped his own career, which of course it did.

I'm sure it did and thought there was a good thread below from DimensionalDetective with some more relevant info about Clinton, the FCC, possible corruption and extremely large sums of money.

Digital TV means four to ten times as many channels for each and every broadcaster with no obligations to the public. The FCC quietly awarded broadcasters this colossal gift of public property worth $70-$80 billion during the Clinton administration back in 1996. In the 12 years since, under Democratic and Republican presidents alike, corporate broadcasters and their stooges at the FCC have diligently peddled the cover stories that digital TV is all about the advent of high definition television, and that the only nagging questions are how and whether enough converter boxes will be available for consumers who can't or won't buy brand new TVs. 

And:

What the FCC and broadcasters are actively concealing from the public is that digital broadcasting technology enables thousands of new digital TV channels on the public broadcast spectrum, all of which broadcasters have allocated to themselves without the inconvenient public scrutiny issuing thousands of new station licenses might have attracted. Thus minorities and women, local entrepreneurs, colleges and universities, community, civic and labor organizations and local governments who otherwise might acquire a portion of the new digital TV channels and used them to broadcast local news, arts, information and public service in hundreds of U.S. markets have been frozen out of the chance to serve the public over the public's airwaves without even the bother of public explanation or debate.

Digital TV: A Giveaway To Corporate Media

Cheers.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join