It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AC-130 participates in maritime patrol trial

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Results are just as spectacular as expected...

What do you get when you combine a Special Operations AC-130W Stinger II gunship with the Navy’s P-8A Poseidon recon plane and a patrol coastal ship?

A big boom and a spray of debris.

A joint exercise launched March 8 and 9 in the Persian Gulf involving the Cyclone-class Monsoon and the two aircraft was designed to see how well a surface patrol ship and a long-range spy plane could select targets in the Persian Gulf for a Special Operations Command Central gunship to blast to bits.

A nice little reminder against closing the Strait of Hormuz, as some of you may remember in the 80's, as well as the shenanigans last year.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

Thats a pretty bad assed combo IMHO.

The P-8 has the long range sensors and Harpoon and can cue the AC

The AC is well an AC and could nicely handle those boat swarms

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

I know they've talked about it supporting maritime roles for some time, but this is the first time I'm aware of a demo.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 09:13 PM
link   
it kinda stings at first to think about a Death From The Sky.......stingy feeling on the back of my shoulders. Props to the pilots holdin the airspeed circle, altitude and bank.....young mans game
edit on 25-3-2020 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 04:11 AM
link   
For when an Exocet,Harpoon or Torpedo is considered overkill?

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

If you're lugging four Harpoons over the Gulf and eight FACS (or even something smaller) come out to play, you've got problems, even ignoring the whole overkill aspect.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 10:38 AM
link   

most smugglers know US air power and the sound of our aircraft.

if i saw or heard a P-8 orbiting or got forbid an AC-130 i would stop the boat and start swimming
edit on 26-3-2020 by penroc3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I once watched A-10 Warthogs practicing for iranian boat swarms.

www.businessinsider.com...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackfinger
For when an Exocet,Harpoon or Torpedo is considered overkill?

Given that the USN tends to have the biggest ships in the Gulf, a Harpoon as dated as it is should handle MOST gulf navies surface combatants. The P-8 will also carry the Long Range Anti-Ship Missile (LRASM) which is a whole different beastie

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Apaches apparently engaging in similar exercises. One might think the Navy is beginning to take the small-boat threat seriously...

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Nah. That would mean the Navy leadership put their collective brain cells together and thought really really hard. I'm not sure they'd risk the headache.

new topics

top topics

join