It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump just defended spending 25 million dollars for performace art center in emergency bill

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: sine.nomine
Did you forget how politics work? Yes, it's disgusting. But negotiations need to happen to get these greedy pricks to help us lowly, regular Americans.

Don't see how you can call that a negotiation, it was a bribe.

People should be pissed off their government works this way not defending them for it.

Whatever you want to call it, it should be illegal. I am pissed about it, but right now there's bigger fish to fry. Give them their theater money, so the American people can get help.

After all is settled, then we roll out the guillotines.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 06:46 PM
link   
at first i was a little bothered by this part but after looking around i discovered that the jfk center for performing arts is a nonprofit that relies on the public to stay open and provites educational, cultural and other services to the community and it's also a historical monument too, the workers there aren't eligible for the stimulus check like regular workers since it's a nonprofit so to get their fair compensation they had to be included in this manner and I'm pretty sure they aren't the only nonprofit included in this.

www.voa.org...
edit on 25-3-2020 by namehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

Kinda solidifies the OP's point, goverment needs strict oversight, people need to pay attention to What they're doing not just blindly supporting them...

Going to need a lot of guillotines

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: namehere
at first i was a little bothered by this part but after looking around i discovered that the jfk center for performing arts is a nonprofit that relies on the public to stay open and provites educational, cultural and other services to the community and it's also a historical monument too, the workers there aren't eligible for the stimulus check like regular workers since it's a nonprofit so to get their fair compensation they had to be included in this manner and I'm pretty sure they aren't the only nonprofit included in this.

www.voa.org...

What kind of wages are they making to need 25 million to make ends meet?

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I don't know why 25 million dollars is even a serious discussion.

Politicians are children. You have to give them candy if you want them to wake up in the morning and do their chores on time.

It's still favoritism (because so many businesses are in the same situation as Kennedy center), seriously, if that's all the pork you can find in this bill, I would say this might be the most pork free large spending bill in the history of large spending bills.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: nugget1

You are correct. Trump caved and folded big time .
There were options open , yet "I fold"

Would you rather he had rejected it and let congress go on vacation? How long should he withhold help from the people? Till all the pork barrel crap is removed? That won't happen until all of congress is dead or retired. This is their game, and they're playing the dirtiest as they ever have.

There were other options...
As I said.

What option that wouldn't have held up the aid for gawd knows how long were there?
Serious question.

Think Obama and the way he did things quick , using a press conference.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: Lumenari

You are correct. Trump caved and folded big time .
There were options open , yet "I fold"

Then I guess we need to get Biden in there ASAP so he can handle the problem.

Oh wait... Biden probably can't even go to the bathroom without aid.

I don't think this was about Biden.
Try to follow along....

This is a Presidential election year in a place called America.

Our current choices are Trump and Biden to vote for.

Try to follow along...

November is a ways off.....and not relevant to the here and now .
And Joe Biden is not President...
I would hope you would have realized that.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

Honestly, yes I would have preferred that happened. They need to quit being opportunistic with things, tar and feather the lot of them. Veto absolutely everything that is not related to pandemic relief, period.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: queenofswords
a reply to: Grambler

I liked his answer. I listened to his explanation. This was a Democrat demand for $35,000,000. It was reduced to $25,000,000 and the Republicans agreed to it. President Trump explained that the Kennedy Center has been closed, their people not working, and their performances stopped. They will be helped, too. This will probably be in the form of a loan, but I'm not sure about that.

Its an emergency!

Saying he is ok at a time when americans are dying or losing their livlihood that 25 million dollars will go to an art center is absurd!

This is why we should question our government before giving them blank checks to save all of our lives.

I told people worthless crap like this would be in the final bill trump would sign.

And now here we are, and people accept it.

Grambler, you're complaining about nothing of significance when it comes to the big picture. I don't know anyone personally that would agree that $25 million is appropriate for something like that, not even five or one, but you and everyone else knows that congress doesn't move without compromise, even if that compromise is harmful. Does it take away money that should be going to save people on ventilators? Absolutely! But shouting from the rooftops that it's a horrific use of the money is like crying the sky is falling. Stop, take a breath. You want to stop this type of thing from happening? Work your ass off to remove all incumbents and figure out a way to remove "and for other purposes" from every single bill.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Kinda solidifies the OP's point, goverment needs strict oversight, people need to pay attention to What they're doing not just blindly supporting them...

Going to need a lot of guillotines

I agree.

I guess my only qualm with the OP is: what's the alternative right now? Should he have held up the bill in front of everyone, and then tear the bill in half Pelosi-style while everyone continues to suffer?

It's easy to criticize. It's much harder to solve the problem.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 07:02 PM
link   
The Kennedy Center will be needing at least $25 Million to clean the place up 😷 🥶 😷

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Whatever you want to call it, it should be illegal. I am pissed about it, but right now there's bigger fish to fry. Give them their theater money, so the American people can get help. After all is settled, then we roll out the guillotines.

Exactly! Common sense needs to prevail right now, further ramifications can be brought up after the dust settles - when it's appropriate. The Dems are going to owe the People big-time for this. They burned a lot of political capital to make this happen.
edit on 25-3-2020 by HalWesten because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: JON666

over 1000 employees and they operate in other states too and most of that expense is from maintenance, utilities, etc, it's easy enough to find out with a few simple searches, you could probably ask them all that yourself if you want to bother.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: timequake

He didn't defend it so much as acquiesce to some political B.S.

Which he could have remedied with a press conference.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 07:07 PM
link   

I don't have any answers I'm afraid, maybe send Chuck Norris in to kick some ass.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 07:32 PM
link   
When this is all over with, the Kennedy Center should be audited. I bet you will find some kickbacks to Pelosi or some other Dem politician via some back room deal... with three degrees of separation, of course.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
a reply to: IAMTAT

No.. blame both Democrats and Republicans for shoving their own agendas into the bill.

Democrats would have zero leverage to include anything if the Republicans weren't putting their own stuff in.

The real distraction is getting you to blame the Dems or someone else to blame the Republicans. We can't see tge corruption if we're still playing the right versus left game.

It’s no use

I tried

You td all the Dems vote

Trump and the republicans are helpless victims

I said we should demand answers to basic questions before giving the government a blank check solve solve this crisis because otherwise they would abuse the crisis for corrupt reasons

I was told only necessary measures would be taken and it was an emerges no need to demand questions be answered

Now we are at the point where of course irrelevant millions are being spent in pet projects, that was to be expected

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
It should not have been in there at all. If they were entitled to anything as people out of work, it should have been exactly what everyone else would be getting, not a separate note in the document for their own damn amount.

BS, it's just plain BS. It should have been stricken from consideration entirely. I'm all for public arts support, but this ain't the effing TIME for it.

You don't mention the stimulus bill, a $2trillion affair, that includes $100million for the arts.
Since around 800 people are involved at the Kennedy centre, and are laid off at the centre, I dare say that the real bill for all that is a deal bigger, and that the stimulus bill will go through sort of quietly with Republican Kennedy Centre board members approval, as well as Melania Trump, also a trustee.
Trump himself has been a budget cutter, 'actor' for the arts, and I have no idea why he's now, "A fan of the arts"
But I guess that someone who talks through the nether regions, will find the end product coming out of his gub.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I have no problem with this. Those folks will be out of work just like many. And people love the arts, why shouldn't they be supported as long as others are too supported.

Libraries are closed. Shouldn't they be helped?

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Politicians don't care about us.

No politician gives a tinkers damn if we live or die.

As long as they have power and enough followers, the rest of us can rot in hell as far as they're concerned.

It's over.

The bad guys won, brah.

The bad guys won.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join