It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are experiencing the sociological equivalent of a cytokine storm...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 01:00 PM
link   
For those who may not be familiar with the term, a cytokine storm is what happens when one's immune system is kicked into overdrive by the presence of an invading foreign threat. Some pathogens precipitate an overly exaggerated immunological response and the immune system actually begins to destroy the body that it's supposed to protect instead of the foreign invader that it is supposed to destroy.

Fear is kind of like an immunological response for both the individual and a society. Fear, properly responded to and purposefully directed, can be very useful and healthy. It makes us weigh the benefits of our actions against potential negative results. It can protect us both individually and collectively.

However, when fear attacks the body collective and kicks into overdrive, usually exacerbated by outside influences who - like a virus - do not have the well-being of the organism in mind but their own agenda, it turns into a sociological cytokine storm. It destroys that which it is supposed to protect.

I think that we are seeing a sociological cytokine storm taking place.

Cytokine fear breaks down the self-protective instinct of a society and brings it under under the control of the foreign malevolent influence to carry out its agenda. This is what globalists want.
:
edit on 2020 3 25 by incoserv because: I'm a bit anal about my orthography.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Good way to put it.
It's amazing how life mimics the micro scale on the macro scale.

Regardless of the measures taken or not taken by the governments, the psychological human reaction amplifies everything. It really is a bit like a cytokine storm.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv
Never heard about that. Thanks brotherđź‘Ť

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Fear stimulates the fight and fight response, which floods the body with histamine. It can overload the body and cause damage, or it can deplete the immune chemistry which makes you more susceptible to catch something a few days to week down the road. Cortisol is one of those chemistries, but there are more types than that alone.

They are promoting fear and that weakens us. like the OP said, it can cause our immune system to target all cells including the pathogen. No pathogen at the time, it targets just our own cells. These chemicals can also cause anxiety and depression, especially if your income is jeopardized. We do not need to go into such a strong lockdown that it destroys people's lives. Make sure to try to be aware that old people are more of a risk, give them a little extra room, don't be banging into them when walking, almost knocking them down.

Do not fear this disease, beware of the crazy response to the disease though, make sure that the fix is not worse than the initial problem. This lockdown is making lots of anxiety and depression around here, the fear that their house may be lost or their employer may not make it and they will need a new job is causing a lot of problems. People don't want to take the moneyout of the stock market, it would be foolish when it is so low right now, a month from now will be better.

Look at the anxiety of the people who lost a lot of money in the stock market, their IRA was in it and now they cannot retire next year, their retirement trip they planned for this summer is all messed up, it may help to dampen their loss of their pension if they do not go.

We should open back up in about three weeks, that pidly twelve hundred bucks will just help a little, Americans need to go back to work after they get a grasp on how to fix this disease. I do not fall pray to the medical fearmongers, this disease is a risk because we weren't ready for it, but in a couple of weeks we will be able to handle it better in most areas. A few problematic spots will have to be quarantined longer, that can be done on a state by state basis, but the governors must look at areas of the state can self isolate, some big cities are a risk, but small communities can work together and stop the spread easier. Certain counties may not need quarantine imposed, they don't have to go nuts with this, this pandemic was shuffled through New York, Washington, washington DC and California airports mostly. Those areas are the hot spots.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
... They are promoting fear and that weakens us. like the OP said, it can cause our immune system to target all cells including the pathogen. No pathogen at the time, it targets just our own cells. ...

And there is the rub.

I'm not claiming that there's no issue at all. There is a sickness, a virus afoot and we should be aware of it and take prudent action to avoid being infected, but this is true at all times. Just a bit heightened for now.

The fear being generated really has no basis, therefore since the fear cannot direct itself against an actual threat, it turns in on its host.

Just like the cytokine release.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

Nice analogy - made me chuckle.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv Thank you for this thread. The psychological implications let alone sociological are too much to assess. My fight/flight has been since about midway through Update Thread 2. So let’s take a deep breath and pray cooler heads prevail going forward

I’ve had to take a step back. It’s affecting me for sure. I’ve never had so much anxiety in my life. Meditating has helped but I’m quite the novice. Metta is useful and I’m trying to incorporate that. Being mindful and actually working on self-care is not my forte. self-quarantining is taxing for a variety of reasons to many. Being alone is such an affront to many people around the world. Necessary to be sure, but devastatingly lonely. It’s doing the right thing though. It’s being responsible and showing care for those you may not even know. Take care of you and yours ATS.

Thank you OP for this thread!

“May you dwell in safety
May you be happy and healthy
May you be free from affliction
May you be at peace”

edit on 25-3-2020 by slatesteam because: (no reason given)

top topics

join