It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Globalism has been killed in America

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: maria_stardust

It's not capitalism if dollar for dollar the governments don't match on per capita wages, regulations, and compatible currency laws. The argument that dealing with China is free-market capitalism is bs and always has been. free-market capitalism has a similar foundation of laws that companies are built upon without government interference while competing against competitors.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 01:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: maria_stardust
a reply to: projectvxn

Oh, you mean outsourcing. That’s result of capitalism, not globalism.

It's a result of greed. Capitalism works.

Everyone is familiar with hoarders, right? Some hoard cats, some hoard papers, some hoard junk... greedy people are just hoarders of money. It just so happens that there's a place where they can hide under the umbrella of capitalism. Not all wealthy people are greedy. Those are the ones that make capitalism work. Those are the ones that also are against globalism and have a sense of nationalism.

~Namaste
edit on 25-3-2020 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 01:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
Don’t count your chickens before they’re hatched. As soon as it’s feasible to outsource everything again it’s going to happen.

That’s the way of profit.

You are absolutely correct and I wish it weren't so.

It would be nice to think somebody would learn a lesson from any of this but in a couple months $5 less for a toaster will be more important.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: tinktinktink

Yet it is a price companies are willing to pay to conduct business in China. The bottom line is always money, hence, capitalism. No one ever said the playing ground was to be level.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 01:45 AM
link   
No. Actually, globalization was increased and small business was hit hard.
China is about back to full steam on steel exports anyway.
Walmartazon will weather the storm and lose even more competition while sucking up our tax dollars.
Crypto? Lol..no

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: SonOfTheLawOfOne

There was an incident a few years back where the dairy industry were paying off farmers to get out of the dairy business so that could artificially raise the price of milk. I’m sure many in the industry were considered good, upstanding citizens. Yet, that did not stop them from fattening their bottom line at the expense of families with children or public schools.

The point is that the outsourcing certain goods such as medical supplies and equipment is a lucrative endeavor. That speaks to profits and happy shareholders as the objective. Capitalism is the primary cause. Globalism is a side effect.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 01:59 AM
link   

There was an incident a few years back where the dairy industry were paying off farmers to get out of the dairy business so that could artificially raise the price of milk. I’m sure many in the industry were considered good, upstanding citizens. Yet, that did not stop them from fattening their bottom line at the expense of families with children or public schools.

The point is that the outsourcing certain goods such as medical supplies and equipment is a lucrative endeavor. That speaks to profits and happy shareholders as the objective. Capitalism is the primary cause. Globalism is a side effect.

Just a different form of greed. It comes down to personal responsibility. Those farmers, as upstanding as they were, could have refused. They didn't, because at some level, they were motivated by "having" something that they put as a higher priority than families with children. It is a choice for each and every person. Capitalism is a framework to operate from that provides for that individual choice of putting money above others, so it makes it much easier to be greedy. Yet, it still comes down to personal responsibility and choice at the individual level. Corporations aren't greedy, the people that run them are. The shareholders are. Some people (myself) don't care about money beyond providing for basic means and needs, and view money as something that circulates and can be taken away as easily as it is given, so we invest it with the hope that it goes toward creating jobs and innovation and new opportunities. When my money circulates into that pool and makes more money, I can take more out or put more in. It's a personal choice, and I'm not greedy by any definition but I support capitalism when it works.

I get where you are coming from though. It doesn't always work, there's room for manipulation and greed and globalism. I guess you can say it's still a work in progress. lol

~Namaste

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Production moved overseas because shareholders demanded higher dividends, which meant that corporations need higher profits, which meant lower production costs, because higher product prices would not be borne by the consumer market.

Shareholders do not dictate snip.

Some of the most valueable ones don't even pay D's. Like Berkshire,Amazon,Google.

Outsourcing 101.

It's cheaper to make goods overseas. You can thank collective bargaining, and living wages, and other 'Progressive idealism'.

The globalism crowd has no effing clue on what it takes to compete in the business world.
edit on 25-3-2020 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Yeah but isn't American production abroad one part of the equation?

For example, China has this big problem with feeding it's nation so they have been buying up the world over the last decades. Ningbo chemical baron Lu Xianfeng’s Moon Lake Investments Pty bought Australia’s biggest dairy operation last year, while Wan Long’s WH Group Ltd. became the world’s largest pork producer with the purchase of Virginia-based Smithfield Foods Inc.

You are producing it but the product will be shipped to China...

Peace

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 05:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bigbrooklyn
Well done... Could be just the plan. Several hundred die for the countries sake aka collateral damage for the greater cause..A free and prosperous USA..a reply to: projectvxn

^^^^^The NEW equivalent to military power
^^^^^

The gaining of power by any means!

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 05:20 AM
link   

You have quite a rose-colored-glasses view of capitalism being altruistic. There's and old saying that, "Capitalism is the worst economic system around... except for all the others", and it's hard to argue against. lol

Capitalism itself isn't inherently bad, but what it naturally gives birth to certainly can be. I'd suggest watching The Corporation which makes a solid argument that if corporations really were "people" (as reaffirmed by Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission in 2010), then they would be sociopaths.

While some employees might share your sense of being "against globalism" and/or "having a sense of nationalism"; capitalism is dog-eat-dog with profit as the priority, and corporate officers have a fiduciary responsibility to the shareholders (and are personally financially-incentivized) to prioritize profits over any warm and cozy feelings that you may wish they had, or that you feel they should act upon.

Corporations will act in whatever manner garners the most profits (globalist, or nationalist), are more than happy to advertise in whichever manner garners the most profits (globalist, or nationalist), and their actions and advertising don't necessarily have to align when they can get away with it.

In this day and age of lobbyists running D.C. and the birth of surveillance-capitalism, voting with your dollar is arguably more impactful than voting at the polls. Choose the companies you support wisely.
edit on 3/25/20 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Excellent thread and absolutely agree that this was a huge wake up call in regards to domestic manufacturing.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: redmage

I'd suggest watching The Corporation which makes a solid argument that if corporations really were "people" (as reaffirmed by Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission in 2010), then they would be sociopaths.

Great movie and yes, a really solid argument.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Globalism sucks bad . Just serves the purpose of a select few . Nationalism would serve the purpose of the whole country. Globalists want to attach the word white in front of it to make nationalists sound racist. I’m not racist . I’d rather we do good for our country and screw the globalists . It’s pretty simple . Is it good for the American people ? That’s what our leaders should be asking

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Oh, you mean outsourcing. That’s result of capitalism, not globalism.

Ummmm.....

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bhadhidar

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: Bhadhidar

I propose we stop handing our supply chain and critical stockpile production over to hostile communists.

By becoming hostile communists ourselves?

How has that worked for citizens in the past?

So not having out critical supply chain routed through a hostile nation = being communists?

Nice take.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Wow, what an ignorant statement.

So, if the United States decides to become more self-sufficient, this poster implies that we'll become a hostile communist nation. LMAO.

You know what I, and many Americans are probably thinking now? The hell with China. As you state in your excellent thread, this was a wake up call for America.

The death of Globalism and the rebirth of the American worker in the face of Chinese backstabbing and weak globalist bonds is a welcome change.

BINGO! And who loses with the "rebirth" of America?

China would be the really big loser. It starts out still relatively poor, is geographically insecure and is short of almost any natural resource you can think of. Its economy relies on western markets.

www.ft.com...

Awe...isn't that too bad? NOT!

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bhadhidar

a reply to: Bhadhidar

I propose we stop handing our supply chain and critical stockpile production over to hostile communists.

How has that worked for citizens in the past?

So not having out critical supply chain routed through a hostile nation = being communists?

Nice take.

Having government tell private individuals and companies who they can deal with?

Probably more Fascist than Communist.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

No more fascist or communist than under going a background check and filling out a form stating one has been a 'good' person all their lives to practice their second amendment right.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: ScepticScot

No more fascist or communist than under going a background check and filling out a form stating one has been a 'good' person all their lives to practice their second amendment right.

Repeat after me.

Not all threads are about guns.

Do that about twenty times and see if you feel better.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join