It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The First 15 Foods You Should Stockpile For Disaster

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 06:55 PM
link   
A good stockpile of food will go a long way toward helping you survive the aftermath of any disaster or life crisis, especially when grocery stores are emptied.

Read the rest of the article HERE

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Jounuston

Its a good list. I disagree a bit with his preference for canned foods. Dried will last much much longer than canned and has the ability to be much more portable if you have to bug out.

However, the #1 priority is potable water. Without it your horde of food is meaningless. Most think they Brita filter they have will be enough, but a backpacking filter of robust construction and the ability to clean the filter if it gets clogged is invaluable

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Powered milk for baking and hot Sauce, to make even the most unpleasant food palatable.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Sorry, I disagree w/ that list, mainly because it presumes a certain type of disaster (power outage?) then builds off that.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Peanut Butter should be much higher on the list because it's the food of the gods.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Got 12 of the 15 on hand. Don't much go for canned stuff because the salt and my blood pressure don't play well together. And the fruits are just sugar saturated.

We're working on dehydrating some meat and maybe vegetables and fruits. Using a convection over now but looking at dehydrators. Fresh vegetables are easy to get here and don't look to be slowing down yet. dried meat (jerky or cecina, as it's called in Mexico), is easy to do with decent lean beef.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Peanut Butter should be much higher on the list because it's the food of the gods.

Got like 10 or 15 lbs. of peanut butter. But that's not too unusual. It's a bit expensive here, but we find a good deal now and then and stock up like the end of the world is coming.

Water. Yeah. We have a Katydyne backpacking pump filter and a liter bottle of a colloidal silver purification liquid.

My biggest issue with living in an urban area has always been water. When I lived way out of town, I always had a water source somewhere in the area that I could use. In town, not so much.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Yes, water should be #1 in the list. I have stored drinkable water and also tap water in buckets and containers. I use my reverse osmosis every day so I don't need to use my stored water.

I'm little low of canned vegetable and fruits, wife will work on that this weekend hopefully.

I found a pasta sauce special in Aldi yesterday. You'll never have enough sauce.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 07:16 PM
link   
When the shelves get low, another alternative is protein powder used by meat heads at the gym. Weight gainer powder too if you want the extra calories. Its all basically whey protein concentrate or isolate, the same stuff used in baby formula.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 07:16 PM
link   

You're right on. Peanut butter is THE survival food.
In SHTF scenarios, you want 2 things. Water, and calorie-dense foods. I have appx 5 months worth of bottled water, 6 Big jars of peanut butter, 2 Big jars of coconut oil, several months of multi vitamins, and 2 bags of a superfood green powder mix. Each bag has 60 servings. No refrigeration needed.

No cooking needed. Super nutrient and calories dense stuff. It all fits in a small corner of the pantry.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jounuston
A good stockpile of food will go a long way toward helping you survive the aftermath of any disaster or life crisis, especially when grocery stores are emptied.

I always get a kick out of threads like this because they presume that the hapless person is living in a city in an apartment.

For those of us that have a garden, an orchard, water wells, a root cellar and the ability to can, the list is entirely different.

1. Bullets, traps, snares.

2. Seeds.

3. Kosher salt, non-iodized for meat preservation.

4. Beehives.

5. A butt-load of canning jars, lids, etc

6. Yeast (people like us have our own sour dough yeast going).

7. Baking soda

8. Baking powder

9. Vinegar (easily made at home as well!!!)

10. Bleach

edit on 24-3-2020 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 07:28 PM
link   
A book on wild edible foods in your area would be worth the weight.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Thats a good list as well. Our setup is geared for the possibility we have to leave rather than shelter in place for a prolonged disaster. We also have the ability to stay but my main emphasis was on leaving and never coming back.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Properly packed peanut butter powder will keep for a long time
We have about 10 pounds of it

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Canned tomato paste and vinager will help break down the toughest piece of meat.
Cooking oil is often overlooked, as well.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT
a reply to: Lumenari

Thats a good list as well. Our setup is geared for the possibility we have to leave rather than shelter in place for a prolonged disaster. We also have the ability to stay but my main emphasis was on leaving and never coming back.

Then that would be a completely different list, I agree.

I have spent a lot of my life doing the odds in my head and deciding that if TSHTF, I'm making a place to live through that.

Which I have done.

So apples/oranges/legos.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 08:12 PM
link   

I disagree with stockpiles of water.
A little bit is great but I would rather have a good filtration system or a hand pump well.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: Jounuston

I always get a kick out of threads like this because they presume that the hapless person is living in a city in an apartment.

For those of us that have a garden, an orchard, water wells, a root cellar and the ability to can, the list is entirely different.

1. Bullets, traps, snares.

2. Seeds.

3. Kosher salt, non-iodized for meat preservation.

4. Beehives.

5. A butt-load of canning jars, lids, etc

6. Yeast (people like us have our own sour dough yeast going).

7. Baking soda

8. Baking powder

9. Vinegar (easily made at home as well!!!)

10. Bleach

That’s a Mountain West list/response right there.
Love it.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 12:53 AM
link   
so...

4 cans of tinned corn and a packet of smiths chicken crisps, not gonna cut it..

good thing all the derps near me who hoarded everything but don't know how to cook it, will die off and I'll just have street full of MRE's..

.. good reading, this thread. I'd happily forgo flavour and so on, in favour of nutrition, at least till the smoke clears. But the one post that resonated with me, is edible native plants. It's a garden out there..

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 04:23 AM
link   
You need to research what local indigenous people ate for their main starch , or acquire a taste for Long Pig?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join