It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silver lining to Covid-19

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 03:26 PM
link   
More people are getting interested in gardening and learning about growing their own food

Everyone is taking a good hard look at their finances and wants vs needs & budget needs

People will know by now if they married the right person

Parents will realize how little time they have spent with their child in the past

Cooking skills will be re-invigorated

Personal health will be looked at like never before. Things like smoking, obesity, and heart disease. Health basics like hygiene.

We have been shown what companies care, and which ones are ready to screw us over. I have honestly been surprised by a few.
After this is over I will not shop at, at least two places. Please people take note, vote with your $$$!

It is now undeniable that humans have a huge impact on the environment. Hopefully we can
use these findings to help in the future

We also know that many more people can work from home
Many more student can use remote learning. Why isn't cheap online college available for the masses??....

And finally, we have learned that we cannot, and must not have our eggs in one basket. That can mean limiting our
manufacturing overseas, that means not relying on the supply chain for precious medical supplies. That means
teaching all Americans (or whatever country you are from) to be prepared.

God Bless America. No matter what this virus does to us, I hope we learn to be better because of it.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 03:31 PM
link   
the other silver lining is the nasty subway in ny city is finally getting a good scrubbing . And i have to say the traffic has been awesome

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I don't have anything to add but wanted to say that I agree 100% and that I S&F just after reading the first line of your post!

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Good post! Lots of positive Lifestyle Changes have been learned during this pandemic.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Well said dear Jags!

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Through crisis comes opportunity. We should not forget that. My wife and I have talked about almost all of these points, and we should all collaborate. Things need to change and we need to focus on how to come out of this stronger rather than weaker.

People are also going to place a little more value on the 'truth' in news rather than being entertained. I think its time we revolt against the entire system from a news perspective. And this isn't the 'liberal' media thing, this is news as entertainment.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 03:57 PM
link   
All of that sounds good but people are people and a lot are going to go back to their old ways. No one is going to care about the media BS after they're back to work. I like to be optimistic too but I just don't see any major changes happening.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 04:00 PM
link   

More people are getting interested in gardening and learning about growing their own food

The climate change believers have been telling us to do that for years.

Everyone is taking a good hard look at their finances and wants vs needs & budget needs

If fiscal conservationism comes back into fashion I will thank this virus.

Parents will realize how little time they have spent with their child in the past

We need higher wages so that at least one parent can stay home and guide the children.

Personal health will be looked at like never before. Things like smoking, obesity, and heart disease. Health basics like hygiene.

Universal healthcare would greatly help people in those areas.

We have been shown what companies care, and which ones are ready to screw us over. I have honestly been surprised by a few. After this is over I will not shop at, at least two places. Please people take note, vote with your $$$!

If this opens our eyes in the usa to the power of boycott I will thank this virus.

We also know that many more people can work from home Many more student can use remote learning. Why isn't cheap online college available for the masses??....

Why indeed?

And finally, we have learned that we cannot, and must not have our eggs in one basket. That can mean limiting our manufacturing overseas, that means not relying on the supply chain for precious medical supplies. That means teaching all Americans (or whatever country you are from) to be prepared.

If this is the event that finally brings manufacturing back to the usa then I will marry this virus.
edit on 24-3-2020 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
We have been shown what companies care, and which ones are ready to screw us over. I have honestly been surprised by a few.
After this is over I will not shop at, at least two places. Please people take note, vote with your $$$!

Definitely worthy of its own thread...

Can you name names?

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

I think it's pretty cool how Ford motor Company has started using parts off the f150 and engineering it into respirators. They did so without talks or promises of compensation as well. And a lot of local small restaurants are giving away free lunches for kids out of school.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Another silver lining is we'll be going to a cashless society so we won't have to touch that dirty money anymore. And a one world government or new world order to protect us from future pandemics and crisis

edit on 24-3-2020 by Jay Electronica because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

Definitely worthy of its own thread...

Can you name names?

I won't shop at Menards for price gouging
I won't shop at Hobby Lobby owner said wife had a dream from God to stay open.

I will support Ford - working on making respirators
I will support JoAnn Fabric - providing free supplies to customers to make masks

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 05:45 PM
link   

You're overly optimistic.

Most people are getting drunk, eating pizza and posting memes.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 07:12 PM
link   

The silver lining for me is, when someone ask's me what I did last weekend, I don't have to say I just got drunk, ordered takeaway and spent most of the rest of the time trying to get this stupid Florida pantha to spawn on rdr2.

Instead, I can just say I practiced "social distancing" like the government told me to do... just trying to do my bit for society is all.
edit on 24-3-2020 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 07:14 PM
link   

And we've found out which citizens are for police-state tactics and "camps" and who aren't.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 08:46 PM
link   

We also know that many more people can work from home
Many more student can use remote learning. Why isn't cheap online college available for the masses??....

God Bless America. No matter what this virus does to us, I hope we learn to be better because of it.

This ordeal has been an eye-opener for my company's network infrastructure. The capacity limits and bandwidth consumption have provided a 'worst case scenario' benchmark, in a very painful way.

Prior to company-wide work from home policy, our video conference software would be used for roughly 500-600 sessions/day. Last week, there were days of session counts > 10k/day.

We found that we need to quadruple/quintuple the size of a data pipe in one of our main data centers to deal with the surge in traffic.

Since everyone working at home uses our VPN to connect to the corporate networks, their ancillary web traffic (from laptop their VPN runs on) gets routed through our outbound Internet proxies in our data centers. The #1 site requested over our VPN tunnel was Google Docs (totally makes sense due to our internal documents being shared using GD). Second place? Facebook (:facepalm

Many many old network appliances, 10+ year old and lacking in newer traffic and routing features, are now being swapped out just to satisfy our new bandwidth needs, but this has been a big opportunity to modernize our data center infrastructure.

It has been a very inopportune and painful time to learn these limitations, but the company's network components are getting makeovers that should make everything better post-COVID.

I suspect similar types of learnings and forced improvements are occurring in many major tech firms, Google, Netflix, Amazon, etc.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Meanwhile, up here, people are shelling out hundreds, if not thousands, on video games and consoles, tablets and laptops, to keep bored kids pacified while schools are shut down. TV's are flying out of the store. I'm looking at my own bank account and scared to death about what might happen if my work is shut down.

People are out of their damn minds in spending so much when things up here are so shaky.

top topics

join