It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2020 Census

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Didn't do the last one, won't be participating in this one. They really need to keep these folks home.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I will be getting a visit from a census worker this time. Since Mom died, I now own two working addresses, and they use satellite surveillance to locate houses... there are two trailers and a house at these two addresses. I visited quite a few hunting cabins in 2010, just to verify they weren't residences. Yes, I had to walk up to the door and knock, twice, and make at least three trips to the one-room shack with leaky tin for a roof and walls you could literally walk through out in the back woods where my Buick wasn't supposed to be able to go.

Hey, it all payed the same.

So since the Department of Commerce made it so difficult to send in verification that no one lives at an address, and since one of the structures here that looks habitable from above doesn't have an address. I will get a visit. If it's just a terrible time, I will politely ask them to come back later; if not I will invite them in, sit them down, and happily answer their questions so they can do a good job. Who knows, I might need something from my bank in six months and they might be the teller that either makes it easy or hard for me. Or they might be the waiter in a restaurant (assuming any exist in the future) and quite capable of spitting in my food when I can't see.

They should start coming out in about a month, maybe a little less. They're not there to steal your soul, nor to dissect/judge/report your life. The census is required by the Constitution. Trying to give the census workers a hard time is spitting on the Constitution and proving what heartless piece of crap you can be.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I worked for the census in 2010. No one has ever gone to jail for refusing to fill out the census.

Of course I know that .

And if you notice I said I did fill it out for the first worker that didn’t threaten me .

The thing is I don’t like being threatened .

Nobody’s going to jail why is there a threat on the envelope ?

I’ll tell you why it’s there for intimidation .

You were working with the census did you threaten anyone with jail ?

How was that received did they comply ?

Or did it scare someone in the complying ?

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

I didn't see any reference to jail on mine, but I did see where it said (correctly) that cooperation with the census is required by law.

As to me threatening anyone? If a census worker does that, they go home and stay there; they're usually fired before they can get back to the office. I could not open a door, a gate, and I was not even supposed to move from the front door of a residence to look through a window. I was not to become angry or insult anyone in any way. I've had this happen several times:

I drive up and stop. I get out with my clipboard, make sure my badge is clear so my name is easily visible, and walk to the front door. I knock. I can hear people inside, but no one answers. I knock again. Someone cracks open the door.

Me: "Hello, my name is ___________ from the US Census. We don't have a record of a response form this address. May I ask you a few simple questions so we can ensure accurate information?"
Them: "What if I say no?"
Me: "Then I will leave. But another worker will be assigned and eventually a supervisor will come out."
Them: "Go away you _______insert expletive here________!"
Me: "Yes sir/ma'am. Have a great day, now."

That's a typical bad visit. I saw several of these people from these stops later, just because I live here too. They acted totally differently around me, and I acted totally differently around them. They were nice to me; I was cordial to them, but I'll be damn if I would give them the time of day.

You're not getting back at anyone in the government. You're ticking off the people you live and work with.

By the way, if anyone ever threatens you with jail time for not filling out the census, call it in after they leave. They don't need to be doing that job if they won't do it correctly.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 12:48 PM
link   

cooperation with the census is required by law.

That’s a threat I read it on the envelope and it was the first thing I heard when I said I wasn’t interested to a worker .

Nobody pointed her finger in my face and said “I can put you in jail” !

If they did I would’ve calmly shut the door and turn the sprinklers on .

Is one person going to ruin the school system ? One that I donate money to above and beyond property taxes ?

I don’t like threats especially when I know they’re not enforceable.

They tell me that somebody’s trying to bull# me which I don’t like either .

Nor do I like being shamed into doing something . ( add that to the list ) lol

A lot of people complained in 2010 and we will hear the same complaints this time around .

So maybe they should remedy the situation on the other end ?

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Beginning today, in support of guidance on what we can all do to help slow the spread of coronavirus, 2020 Census field operations will be suspended for two weeks until April 1, 2020. The Census Bureau is taking this step to help protect the health and safety of the American public, Census Bureau employees, and everyone going through the hiring process for temporary census taker positions.

Census.gov

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlbatrossMaker
I have already filled my questionnaire out online. It asks where you will be April 1. Possibly a roundup of undesirables by big brother during lockdown? Scary

Never mind, it's the first question.
edit on 23-3-2020 by HalWesten because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten

originally posted by: AlbatrossMaker
I have already filled my questionnaire out online. It asks where you will be April 1. Possibly a roundup of undesirables by big brother during lockdown? Scary

I did mine online too and I don't recall seeing that question.

I did mine online and I did see that question.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Article I, Section 2, Paragraph 3 of the United States of America Constitution:

Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons. The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct.

Does the Constitution say that or not?

Walk up to a cop sometime and ask him what will happen if you rob a bank. He will respond that you will go to jail. Are you going to go off on him for "threatening" you with jail time? No. No sane person would. But let a guy who's just trying to make a living mention that something is a law and you're all willing to go off on him.

The difference is, you believe the cop can arrest you. You don't have that belief about the census worker. So, big man, tough guy, you get all up in the face of someone when you think it's safe to do so, but never when that someone is in charge. Yeah, I'm not impressed, sorry.

Go jump somebody that is in a position to fight back if you want to impress me.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Because the census is so damned inconvenient and time consuming, right?

I thought you were a pro-Constitution guy? Or only the parts you like?

Hey, let's make it fun:

edit on 23-3-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 08:09 PM
link   

My bad I didn’t know how much this meant to you .

I’m just going to drop it .

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Never miss a chance to pile on do you ? Lol

I said I filled it out .

If you don’t like the way I did it it’s your problem not mine .
edit on 23-3-2020 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown

Never miss a chance to pile on do you ? Lol

I said I filled it out .

Never miss a chance to bitch about something, though, right?

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Not if I’m on the lookout .

I try to keep a keen eye.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I filled out the paper and mailed it in a few days ago. They already know I'm here so why not. When they do start going out will they come here anyway? Mom can't really get up to answer the door and might not be sane that moment so I'm the only one who can talk to them and I spend my life in the back of the house mostly. Doorbell doesn't work and I can't hear them knocking so they might have a hard time.

Not much I can do. I sent in the paper and that will probably have to do.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 10:23 PM
link   

I just don't like bullies.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 10:52 PM
link   

So now you’re calling me a bully ?

For saying no thanks and sending them on their way .

But the federal government isn’t a bully when it threatens me with a charge that he hasn’t been enforced since 1970 .

It’s like a cop running up to your face poking you with his finger and screaming if you rob a bank you will go to jail .

When you didn’t do a damn thing to deserve it .

I think there’s more to this discussion than what’s being said .

Did you have a bad experience along these lines in 2010 ?

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 12:17 AM
link   

So now you’re calling me a bully ?

I'm not calling you anything. I pointed out your actions in two circumstances which only differed in one aspect: the strength of authority behind it.

For saying no thanks and sending them on their way .

Just earlier in the thread, you were bragging about what a hard time you gave them. Then we found out that the "threat of jail time" was really just a notice that the census is required by law... actually by the US Constitution.

Which is the truth? Did you politely send them on their way (refuse to participate in the US government) or threaten them (bully them)?

But the federal government isn’t a bully when it threatens me with a charge that he hasn’t been enforced since 1970 .

So now you were threatened again? How about picking one story and sticking to it?

It’s like a cop running up to your face poking you with his finger and screaming if you rob a bank you will go to jail .

If you are actively sneaking around the bank with a bandana over your face and a handgun sticking out of your pocket, I would consider that warning the least of your concerns. You should be thankful he doesn't drag you off to the hoosegow right then and there for attempted bank robbery.

You were indicating a refusal to comply with a lawful requirement. Were you dragged off to jail for attempting to refuse the census?

When you didn’t do a damn thing to deserve it .

Oh, so you didn't refuse a lawful request to be counted?

I think there’s more to this discussion than what’s being said .

Did you have a bad experience along these lines in 2010 ?

I'd say so. Your story changes from one post to the next. How about telling us what really happened without the bravado and hyperbole?

I actually met some awesome people in 2010. I had intended to do it again in 2020 (but the ticker had other ideas). I met a few who were rude, but that didn't bother me. What does bother me is the false bravado. Do you realize that every time you talk about how you "got even with the man" by antagonizing a census taker, you may be speaking to someone who is on the verge of pulling out a gun and shooting one? You dehumanize them, making those who are actually prone to actual violence move a little closer to actually committing a violent act.

I've stood in their shoes. I've met people who were so scared of me telling the big bad government who they were that there was a time or two when I was watching for a gun to come out. It happens, you know. It happens every time the census is taken. A few people are seriously hurt, some die, because they come across someone who thinks they're Uncle Sam in disguise out to find them and do mean things to them.

But as to actual bad experiences? Nah, not really... thankfully.

I filled out my census and sent it in two days after I got it. It took 5 minutes and cost me nothing. As I stated, I will get a visit from a census taker. That will take under 30 minutes because I will cooperate with them. A half an hour per decade... less time than I spend sitting watching idiots on the boob tube lie about politics in a single day (sometimes in a single hour, heh). And for that half hour of my time, I am assured that my vote will count equally in House elections, my school system will get the correct allocations, the roads around here will be properly funded, and a host of other programs that use the census to determine appropriations will be handled fairly.

Gee, what a waste of time!

You know, there are a lot of bad things happening in this world right now as we speak, many of which we don't even hear about until they blow up in our face. Maybe if we spent a tenth of the time focusing on them instead of complaining about a half hour per decade, a few of them might not blow up in our face.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 01:36 AM
link   

I'm not calling you anything. I pointed out your actions in two circumstances which only differed in one aspect: the strength of authority behind it.

Who are you calling a bully then ? I would’ve let anything go but that .

Which two different aspects and what is strength of authority ?

Just earlier in the thread, you were bragging about what a hard time you gave them.

Here you go the post below is what lit your fuse . Point out where I was bragging about harassing anyone .

Just about everything I say has a tinge of humor to it . Keep that in mind next time .

On the envelope they threaten you with jail again .

Just like last time i’m going to make four or five of them come to my house. Then when they figure out not to threaten me.

I’ll fill it out .

Here is the only other part of a post I could find that might possibly be interpreted as harassing someone .

Nobody pointed her finger in my face and said “I can put you in jail” !

If they did I would’ve calmly shut the door and turn the sprinklers on .

( Sprinklers joke ha ha )

I’m evil !!!!!!

Then we found out that the "threat of jail time" was really just a notice that the census is required by law... actually by the US Constitution.

I already knew that wasn’t true compliance with the census is not “just a notice” required by the constitution .

It’s title 13 US code

Strengthened by The Sentencing Reform Act of 1984 which can bring fines up to $5000 . While jail time or conviction for that matter is unlikely try not paying your fines and see what happens .

So now you were threatened again? How about picking one story and sticking to it?

I haven’t changed my tune one iota on the threat aspect. If you want to critique my bad grammar have at .

Oh, so you didn't refuse a lawful request to be counted?

No and I said so on the first page. Quoted at the top of this page with the pertinent part in bold . I’m sure I said it at least two more times after that .

Your story changes from one post to the next. How about telling us what really happened without the bravado and hyperbole

First of all you’re full of crap. I just spelled what I said . Secondly you could’ve read it yourself if you weren’t so worked up and feeding in your assumptions as fact.

I’m not even gonna bother reading the rest. Why bother “ got even with the man “ antagonizing a census worker “ it’s just as wrong .

I’m done you win I bow to your authority .

I now realize I should do everything anyone wants me to do without hesitation despite my beliefs . Because God for bid I hurt anybody’s feelings .

Burn in hell FD burn in hell !!!!! (Jk)
edit on 24-3-2020 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Who are you calling a bully then ? I would’ve let anything go but that .

Anyone who picks on others because they think they're stronger and can get away with it. That is the definition, you know.

Whether you fit that definition is not something I have spoken to. You asked why I was upset over bad treatment of innocent people and I responded that I don't like bullies. That is the truth; I don't like bullies. Are you a bully? You seem to have a chip on your shoulder over that. I have known a lot of bullies in my life, and all of them seem to have that same chip... although I wouldn't call that definitive proof of anything.

You also seem to have one about someone knowing you exist... or maybe you just like trying to make people work harder than they have to to do their jobs... make the government waste more money.

But rather than keep working you up onto a frenzy over imagined slights, I'll take this opportunity to add one more reason why it's good to cooperate with the census. As I got older, I began to wonder about where I came from and who my ancestors were. I've managed to trace my family tree all the way back to 1600s England on one side. Other branches of my ancestry are much harder to find out... primarily because they are Cherokee and Black Dutch. Neither group participated in the census, the Cherokee because they were not considered citizens and the Black Dutch because no one knew they existed.

Someday, long after you have died, some of your descendants may want to learn about FallingDown and who he was, what he did, what kind of person he was. Now, I know you did say you finally filled out the form, but if you hadn't, that would be a gap in their records, a stop to knowing their past. It's a pretty mean person IMO who would purposely make sure their children's children's children would be kept ignorant of who they were. Trust me... I have one recent ancestor who was such a piece of crap that we can't even find where he was buried. Luckily, his many spouses weren't like him and a few records of them do exist. Him? Family legend has it there was no one at his funeral and no one cared to scratch his name into a rock.

That name was Silas, btw... don't be a Silas.

TheRedneck

new topics

<< 1    3 >>

join