It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McConnell switches vote to nay on Stimulus bill

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert
Paid only by people who choose to purchase foreign production...

Which exposes what it really is, a hidden tax on consumers.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

So, the same as every other tax?

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

Ya, really hidden since chances are, no matter what you buy... a good part of it was produced overseas..

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

Ya, really hidden since chances are, no matter what you buy... a good part of it was produced overseas..

Again, as opposed to other taxes how?

Other than this particular one leaves you free not to pay it if you so choose...
edit on 23-3-2020 by RadioRobert because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert
So, the same as every other tax?

Yeah, bad.

Only toolbags want more taxes.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 11:04 AM
link   

How do you know you arent paying it??
Is there a law that says that a company has to have a notice on their products alerting you that its been made with tariff imports components? Have companies that dont have tariff components might have taken advantage of their competitors increase in prices to the consumer and just followed suit and increased their own? And, do we really have a choice, or is everything consisting of terriffed components?

And I ain't that into increased taxes... more into smarter spending by the govt.
edit on 23-3-2020 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Hetes what Denmark is doing:

www.theatlantic.com...

While the White House and lawmakers haggle over the terms of an emergency economic-stabilization package, Denmark has gone big—very, very big—to defeat the unprecedented challenge of the coronavirus.

This week, the Danish government told private companies hit by the effects of the pandemic that it would pay 75 percent of their employees’ salaries to avoid mass layoffs. The plan could require the government to spend as much as 13 percent of the national economy in three months. That is roughly the equivalent of a $2.5 trillion stimulus in the United States spread out over just 13 weeks. Like I said: very, very big.

An economic freeze. Makes sense to me.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I'm into policies that strengthen the national infrastructure and industrial base. So I don't have to beg China or Germany for almost all of my medicine, for example. Or computer components, or solar cells, or, or, or...

That article is from September, btw, so it's not just post-pandemic jingoism.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: ErEhWoN

The Dems are going to destroy this countries economy
a reply to: rickymouse

In case you haven't noticed, Trump and the GOP already took care of that.

Maybe don't comment until you catch up with the past 6 months worth of news? Just a friendly hint.

Fake news. Until Covid-19 the economy was great. Now Democrats are willing to destroy it if they don't get their way in fundamentally changing America forever in their vision. Carbon taxes, freebies for everyone, and more immigrants.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I never said the Democrats did anything. Senators being quatantined has led to the nullification of Republican dominance in the Senate. Further Senate bills are going to have a rougher time hitting majority and moving forward. Slowing down Congressional response time. The facts by themselves are alarming, regardless if there is someone to blame or not.

This gives the House more power by default. People need decisive action; the optics of a continuously deadlocked Senate will have people looking to Dem-controlled House because it can possibly get a bill through to the Senate.

So Pelosi has more power in shaping policy. It makes logical sense that House quarantine would be temporarily rescinded in order to get a bill out to stop the country from collapsing. Political backlash from not doing so to protect themselves would be career-ending.

I am not championing either party's approach to this, seeing as both are trying to cram the bill full of rain to water the POWER-BASE with. Not constituents. Both sides are in danger of losing their entrenched positions. If they don't achieve for their power-base the power base will facilitate their ejection.

Honestly these quarantined Senators can come to Congress in a bubble for all I care. None of them are 'sick' in the sense that they can't function. They can put on a yellow suit and come vote.

It appears cowardly to me. Especially with so much of the public still having to go to work w/o the possibilty of protection via Hazmat suit. If they are sick, they have no choice but infecting others.

The conspiracy-theory side of me smells a political special-op going on to nullify the Senate. I don't know by whom, or for what ultimate goal. This smells like a

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join