It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone Own A Lotus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Former owner of a Mazda RX8. Been looking at Lotus. I know the tech is not that great. Running joke is the NAV screen looks like something from 1999 but not concerned about it.

Looking for performance. It will stay in the garage mostly. Mable a few miles a week but I really like the Toyota engine and the styling. Been trying to talk myself out of a 2017-18 but it's getting hard. About to pull the trigger. I see no issues with this car. Amazing styling, cheap to work on, great performance. Am I missing anything. It won't be a daily driver.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Which one?

Evora or the Elise.

The only bad thing I remember hearing a few years back when I frequented tracks was that the Elise(maybe just he early ones) had issues with stress cracking on some of the structural points on the fiberglass.

Very difficult to repair, and costly. Otherwise these both run toyota mechanicals, which was the main issue with the old cars.

I wouldn't have a problem buying one, I'd expect good reliability and moderate costs of maintenance(on the newer ones). The old ones are a whole different bag. Esprits are a money pit.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ZapBrannigan3030
Thanks. This would be an Evora. I would go new but not seeing it worth 100 plus K. Hardly any difference between new and used within a few years. Trying to understand the massive price jump but not seeing it. It's the same car with some minor tweaks. A used one with low miles goes for less than half that price point.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets
a reply to: ZapBrannigan3030
Thanks. This would be an Evora. I would go new but not seeing it worth 100 plus K. Hardly any difference between new and used within a few years. Trying to understand the massive price jump but not seeing it. It's the same car with some minor tweaks. A used one with low miles goes for less than half that price point.

Lotus' always had horrible depreciation, it's just a small market.

I'm assuming that new ones are probably fairly negotiable and don't usually sell for sticker. That might explain the large difference from new to used.

Either way, they've never had the resale of any other sports car.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Some of the older ones have appreciated well. I was looking at used ones and some from the early 90's with low miles are nothing to laugh at price wise. These are small production cars so the rarity increases easily.

Exotic rare cars are like art work. They will go up in value if the miles are low. I would rather buy a used Bentley and sit it in a garage than buy a piece of property. In 20 years it's a given it will go up in value. Can't say that about real estate. Bigger chance of failure with buying property. Exotic cars are more steady.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I would love an exige...
I have a 370z as my daily, I love it more than any other material item I own.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

I think the trick is to ensure that you use distilled or unchlorinated water.and change it frequently, at least daily.

Also, you need to clip off the yellowing leaves and not let them rot.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 03:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

I think the trick is to ensure that you use distilled or unchlorinated water.and change it frequently, at least daily.

Also, you need to clip off the yellowing leaves and not let them rot.

Excellent tip. And not too much sun otherwise the color fades.

Bally

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 07:42 PM
link   

What year and price range were you looking for?

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I'm a Benz guy, I love my CLK 500, it's a sports car in my mind, but really more GT.

You might want to check out Top Gear Argentina Special, the Lotus does well.

It's hard to get the whole episode on one video, but look around if you want to view it.

posted on Nov, 27 2020 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I’ve never encountered lotus owners complaining about reliability thanks to the Toyota mill.

All I can say is that, as a taller guy, it’s way way way too small. I say that having driven an Elise and not the Evora - which does appear to be larger.

I literally was looking up a Honda Civic at a traffic signal. It’s that low/small.

My 2 cents is drive a 911 before you drop the coin on a Lotus. The 911 will probably be worth as much or more when you go to sell it (depending on which one, of course) and a solid 997 turbo can be had for

top topics

join