It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prepper's be crazy no more..

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: mwood

lol yep my months of food and supplies. My learning survival skills. Testing myself in the woods.
All that is starting to look pretty damn smart right now.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton
Oh, no, preppers are still nuts. For thinking any amount of "prepping" is enough to live out an actual apocalypse.

Sorry y'all. You're doomed too.

At least we will have full bellies.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari
My neighbor produces 1600 acres of wheat a year.

I make beer for him out of some of it... we trade.

So not entirely self-sufficient yet, but I'm thinking of putting in a 1/2 acre of wheat in the middle of my 400 acres this year...

What is really killing me right now as far as self-sufficiency goes is that I'm not good at bees.

Once I figure that out I'll be fine.

Wow thats something else!

Do you guys hold down jobs also or mostly stay at the homestead?

Can I ask what region if you don't mind me asking? (Can PM me if you don't want to give that up..)

Having been a cityslicker my entire life I occasionally dream of a life like that. I wouldn't know the first thing to do, I'd be clueless.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Everybody is just as dumb as me isn't the best argument in the world.

As someone who lives in Korea and dealt with this before the USA, there is nothing to prep for.

There was no hoarding over here. Just go to the store when you need stuff like regularly. Wash your hands. You will be fine.

Limit your time outside, but don't live in a bunker.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I rubbed a close friend's nose it it just this afternoon. It felt good.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Now while everyone is scrambling for basic staples and toilet paper I am sitting comfortably at home just weeding the garden and building a new tool shed.
a reply to: mwood

I'm sitting here scratching my nuts and playing World of Warships.

Zero prep, no guns, and got toilet paper this morning from the store.

Go figure.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I don't really see myself as a prepper if we're defining preppers as people who have massive stockpiles of goods.

As a family we are pretty prepared. The plan is to pretty much stick together and combine resources.

Individually, I consider myself a prepper as a someone who has prepared with the necessary skills and knowledge to sustain myself. Since I live a minimalistic lifestyle, I don't maintain a large supply.

I'm more of a survivor I guess. My role in the family plan is to hunt, trap, and fish along with the other able bodied family members, while the less-abked and older family members do things like preparing the meat for storage and consumption, farming, making stuff, teaching, etc.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Something poetic about wiping with aspen leaves.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

No. I won't. I can just cut up a few old T shirts and use the scraps then wash them out & re-use them.

What do people do when a kid #s his pants? Do they throw them away or wash out the clothes and keep them?

People with kids would be better off buying cloth diapers & safety pins instead of trying to buy 50 packs of diapers.

There are many ways to get buy without toilet paper.

Just because Sylvester Stallone didn't know how to use the 3 shells don't mean I don't........

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

I don't see being a prepper as someone who hoards things. The word "prepper" has been misused and degraded by shows like Doomsday prepper's and the like. They pick people who are on the fringe and if I may say a little wacky because it makes for a better show and it's always fun to poke fun at someone who prep's right?

A "Prepper" is just someone who has learned the necessary skills to live their day to day life without relying on others or much if any outside help.
They moved into a place where they have the room to grow their own food, raise their own livestock and take care of their families without relying on large corporations or government programs to care for them.

I have a few acres with a garden about 3/4 acre in size. I have many Chickens, a few Goats and Rabbits.
I generally shoot an elk every year and between that and what we raise we seldom ever buy meat.
We have more veggies than we can eat and after canning some we give the rest to family.
We buy spices, sugar, a steak once in a while for the wife when the elk has run out & tea bags.

I do not own a Minute man silo or communications bunker. Just a house outside of a small town in the mountains with a few acres.

Prepper means being prepared mentally, physically & spiritually to take care of yourself under most every circumstance.

Sure I can die as easy as anyone else, maybe I will catch a bullet I didn't see coming or maybe that asteroid will hit my house square on. You never know what will happen in the future, you only can prepare to do what you can - when you can.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Are u in the states if u don't mind my asking? Do you have to have a permit or some kind of permission granted to dig or enlarge a pond? I'm pretty sure u do for a pool even so curious if a manmade pond is allowed anywhere. Yours natural or you build and buy farmed fish and all?

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 01:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1
My role in the family plan is to hunt, trap, and fish ..

I actually thought along these lines in case I need to procure food and got myself a recurve bow. But then I thought you def need some rice or grains w it so should at least have a small hoard of rice/grains.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 01:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: mwood
a reply to: nOraKat

No. I won't. I can just cut up a few old T shirts and use the scraps then wash them out & re-use them.

What do people do when a kid #s his pants? Do they throw them away or wash out the clothes and keep them?

People with kids would be better off buying cloth diapers & safety pins instead of trying to buy 50 packs of diapers.

There are many ways to get buy without toilet paper.

Just because Sylvester Stallone didn't know how to use the 3 shells don't mean I don't........

Hey I'm just joking. You can always clean your bum Indian style (the country India..). If you go into the back country you won't find any toilet paper in the bathrooms, only a pitcher to fill w water
Not sure the details..

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 01:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlexandrosTheGreat

Are u in the states if u don't mind my asking? Do you have to have a permit or some kind of permission granted to dig or enlarge a pond? I'm pretty sure u do for a pool even so curious if a manmade pond is allowed anywhere. Yours natural or you build and buy farmed fish and all?

I live in Montana and own a piece of property that has no covenants.

I don't need any permits for anything I do here.

Technically, I can run a hotel and a pig farm and a bar and a fireworks stand in an RV park with a museum here.

My pond is woman-made and I can expand it however I want to.

Pick the property you buy wisely.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Technically, I can run a hotel and a pig farm and a bar and a fireworks stand in an RV park with a museum here.

The only thing keeping me from montana is the winter, has that global warming made a difference yet?

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: oldschoolwarhawk

The only thing keeping me from montana is the winter, has that global warming made a difference yet?

Depends on where in Montana.

Eastern Montana is a frozen hellhole.

Western Montana's weather is more like Washington state or Idaho.

For instance, I live in either a 5b or 6 growing zone.

This winter we didn't have to do any snow removal, so I guess global warming is creeping in.

Or it's the El Nino/El Nina influence here.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Was in Walmart today doing the weekly shopping and was over by the vegetable garden seeds and saw a lady going through them. She agreed that several people will be hitting the display up here shortly and she herself was only expanding hers this year.

On the local news tonight, they had a manager fro Tractor Supply Company mentioning that customers were buying up all the baby chicks this year. He said not quite as fast as TP went, but he expects that they will have a had time keeping them in stock. And added people are buying them for the eggs and not the meat.

Little by little, more and more people are saying not gonna catch me as off guard again. And yes, the light is coming back...I was able to buy a four pack right on time. No panic at all.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
Was in Walmart today doing the weekly shopping and was over by the vegetable garden seeds and saw a lady going through them. She agreed that several people will be hitting the display up here shortly and she herself was only expanding hers this year.

On the local news tonight, they had a manager fro Tractor Supply Company mentioning that customers were buying up all the baby chicks this year. He said not quite as fast as TP went, but he expects that they will have a had time keeping them in stock. And added people are buying them for the eggs and not the meat.

Little by little, more and more people are saying not gonna catch me as off guard again. And yes, the light is coming back...I was able to buy a four pack right on time. No panic at all.

We do the same but with ducks. Bigger eggs, and for some reason they don't fly away.
edit on 2532020 by AutomateThis1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join