It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Atlas Is Getting Brighter (C/2019 Y4)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Have you ever seen a bright comet with your naked eyes? The last one of any note was Comet Hale-Bopp way back in 1997, but it’s possible the northern hemisphere is about to get a view of an all-new celestial guests as Comet Atlas brightens.

What is Comet Atlas?
Officially called C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS), it’s a is a near-parabolic comet that was discovered by the ATLAS (Asteroid Terrestrial-impact Last Alert System) survey on December 28, 2019, which made it the last comet discovery of that year. It’s possibly a fragment of Comet Wilmot, also known as C/1844 Y1 and the Great Comet of 1843.

sour ce

Some brightness ahead. If it wont disintegrate on the way.
Hope to see a great show in the sky. Maybe its an omen? Maybe not..

Orbit diagram and 3d visualization
edit on 22/3/2020 by kloejen because: more precise title

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: kloejen

Comets are bad. If you've been on ATS long enough you would know this.

I'll restrain my enthusiasm about this one. Too many disappointing ones. But you never know.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Depends on your view i guess

Comets also have been considered both good and bad omens. Halley's Comet was a "bad omen" for King Harold II of England but a "good omen" for William the Conqueror.

wiki

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 02:45 PM
link   

You never know, except in retrospect.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Seems Gortex beat me to it:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Meh. Seems no one cares about duplicates any more.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Hopefully I'll have clear skies soon, would love to image it while it's around M81 and M82 for a wide field.

Couple months ago I shot C/2017 T2 together with the Perseus cluster. Wasn't that bright back then, next month I'll try again when it is supposed to be brighter at perihelion.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

Hopefully I'll have clear skies soon, would love to image it while it's around M81 and M82 for a wide field.
So that's how you guys do it. You plan your shots and stuff.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 03:11 PM
link   

For some stuff yes.
Now if the weatherman would keep its predictions.

Lucky I have this special cloud filter...

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

Hope you get some cool shots and post them

Good luck with the weather.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 03:43 PM
link   
It would be a cool pic to get the zodiacal dust clouds in the shot too.
I was saying last night how I wished I had a decent camera that could get a picture of the dust clouds.
They were really bright in my area the past few evenings.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: kloejen

Depends on your view i guess

Comets also have been considered both good and bad omens. Halley's Comet was a "bad omen" for King Harold II of England but a "good omen" for William the Conqueror.

wiki

I bet both of those omens happened AFTER the battle........ A good Seer never gives an omen beforehand.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Umm the comets name is c/2019???
Covid-19?? Could this be the deals reason for the hysteria?? Maybe the comet has been projected to actually hit us and the government keeps it under wraps by threat of murder to the families who staff the institutions that actually are capable of plotting it's courser??

That damn straw just happens to be out of reach, maybe next time.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 04:57 PM
link   
If you follow the Electric Universe and new discoveries of comets, yes, comets are very bad.

Mars and even the moon are examples of the damage an electrical discharge from a comet, and the destruction it creates.

edit on 22-3-2020 by Novaroc because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Novaroc

If you follow the Electric Universe

No. I avoid nonsense whenever possible.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 08:36 PM
link   
In 1973, while I was in the Navy, comet Kahoutek was being hailed as the "Comet of the Century". Everyone was buying telescopes and binoculars to see it. It was supposed to light up the sky from horizon to horizon.

What a bust. If you were lucky to be near someone with at least a 12 inch reflector, you could see a fuzzy little ball, once your eyes adjusted to the dark.

Comets are bad, as in most scenarios, they just do not present themselves the way they are hyped up to be. They do sell a lot of scopes though!

top topics

join