It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Images of wind tunnel models emerge for 5th gen proposals from Shenyang AC (China)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 12:37 PM
link   
We need a touch more threads on ATS than just covid-19. Here's a contribution:

The People's Liberation Army Air Force asked China's aerospace defense contractors to put forward proposals for the J-XX. This was to be the first 5th generation fighter for China. Chengdu and Shenyang Aircraft Corporations proposed their different configurations and the PLAAF gave input for what they wanted changed. Chengdu eventually won the development contract and the J-XX program became the J-20 'Mighty Dragon.'

Shenyang Aircraft Corporation had the losing bid, clearly. Their bid was known as the 'Snowy Owl.' There has been a lot of speculation as to what it was. There has also been some founded speculation Shenyang took their bid and created the FC-31/J-31. A little more information has been released out. Not terribly clear information, but some all the same.

Images from wind tunnel testing from Shenyang have been released. One of them was the Snowy Owl. Sources state in the multi picture image, the lower right was the Shenyang Snowy Owl 'final' proposal. It looks more, to me, like an F-15, but I'll let you guys decide. The others were alternate configurations explored. the larger picture looks like what became the FC-31/J-31. YMMV.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 01:22 PM
link   
When do you think those photos were taken?

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I'm in love with the lines on that...especially the front

I'm gonna go draw that up and tell everybody it's my latest design the wind would just slip right off ...
edit on 22-3-2020 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Masisoar

TBH, if the information is accurate for what it is, then probably around 2000, maybe as late as 2008, but probably closer to 2000.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Crazy America didn't act sooner on China, maybe the politicians were waiting for the threat to actually materialize before they were going to do anything about it. You'd have to have a big failure on behalf of intelligence if you couldn't read the writing on the wall.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Masisoar

Welp.

The problem was China used the timeframe when we were off having adventures in the Middle East and very, very distracted to do their upgrades. We were already embroiled. Then we had the crisis. And...well...there's been stupidity in the procurements for 30 years now. So, well, this is a bed of our own making.

new topics

top topics

join