It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone know about this? Searching Tip

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Find anything you want to read. Think of the key words that could be in the document or story. Then hit Ctrl F. It will bring up a search bar on the bottom that says find. Type the word your looking for.

For example:

Go here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Type: Ctrl F

Then type: "Air Force" in the bottom search bar

It finds words and highlights them for you so you dont have to read the entire post.

Some may have already known about this but I just wanted to let everyone know. This is very helpful in searching. Also, I use Mozilla and maybe it is a search feature with just Mozilla but Im not sure. I just thought it might help some people out a bit.

[edit on 11-3-2005 by Event Horizon]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
niiice...

my friend showed me this too...

very useful...

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Wow, I remember using this on old sites, but thanks for refreshing my memory.
Very useful post.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
no matter what i type it tells me text not found.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Well you learn something new every day. I will find that incredibly useful , thank you

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
This works in almost any document type program, like Word. Here are a few others to use when typing.

Ctrl X: for cut
Ctrl C: for copy
Ctrl V: for paste

Press the keys after highlighting the text you want to change.

I'm sure there are many more.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Wow, just assumed most knew that, hehe.... I use it a million times a day, hehe..

I use Mozilla and maybe it is a search feature with just Mozilla but Im not sure. I just thought it might help some people out a bit.

No, it's pretty much with most MS apps...

Here's how I usually use it.

When doing a web search, I often get a good link, but then you'd have to scroll through the text, especially if multiple articiles. So, you pick a word (or phrase), CTRL+F, and type it in, there you go...

In most Windows apps, you can right-click to do those things too...

[edit on 11-3-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
dgtempe, you are not getting results probably because you have to 'click' in the general portion of the page that has the main text.

I was just going to post a note about that too.

For example, when I open up a thread that I had previously responded to, and want to see if there are any people responding to me, i do a search (actually, i usualy go to 'edit' then 'find') for my name. In order for it to work, i have to click the mouse over the left portion of the page, where everyone's names and avatar are. Then I can start or re-start a search. it will also jump over to the post message text to highlight my name from when someone hits 'quote' to reply to me.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Also, if the first "hit" isn't what you're looking for, "next" will simply skip to the next occurance of the search criteria...

Practice with this very thread, and the word "search" hehe...

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
The most useful one is Ctrl-Rtn.

Type "above top secret" into the www address bar & then Ctrl-rtn

It will then enter the www....*********.com bits for you. Very speedy!!

[edit on 11-3-2005 by LordofLard]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Good point, but most browsers don't require you to type the www... anymore (automatically putting it in), so you don't usually have to type it (but still have to type the .com, etc. in such cases)

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
When the find dialogue is open, press F3 to cycle through each item. Faster than pressing "find next" each time.

Firefox can complete .com, .net and .org addresses using Ctrl+Enter, Shift+Enter and Ctrl+Shift+Enter respectively.

Some more useful keyboard shortcuts for Firefox (Windows OS. Keystrokes differ for Mac) (many of these work for IE as well):

Open new tab: Ctrl+T

Close tab: Ctrl+W:

Next tab: Ctrl+Tab

Open new window: Ctrl+N

Select all: Ctrl+A

Bookmark current page: Ctr+D

Increase/decrease text size: Ctrl+Mouse wheel up/down

Go to top of page: Home

Ctrl+H: Open history

Back (return to last page visited): Alt+Back arrow [

new topics

top topics