It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please stop.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 01:04 AM
link   
My brevity will probably be seen as a violation of guidelines, but I hope moderators can grant a bit of leniency for just this one time.

Can we please stop derailing threads, the political trolling, personal attacks, and whatever else that causes threads to be locked for review?

There have been a number of threads that I saved for reading after work, and contained information that I though was worth looking into only for it get locked because one, two, or three members couldn't be mature enough to act like adults and not act like grammar school students.

I don't care if the OP is from a member I politically disagree with or is normally seen as a troll. If they post some information that they deem to be a cause for attention. Then, I want to hear about it.

I don't care if they don't provide links, because any mentally capable person should be able to use their favorite search engine to do see it for themselves. Dismissing an OP or any post because the member has failed to provide citation or source for their statement is intellectually lazy.

If any member posted something without backing information I would read it, and then go to a search engine of my choosing and within seconds to minutes find whatever it was that had been brought up.

But when I see a thread get locked, because members just cannot find it within their capabilities to refrain from acting like obnoxious children on a playground it pisses me off.

Who the hell cares if someone mispells a word, or uses the incorrect adjective.

I don't care if normally during a political topic I don't agree with them. If the OP is a topic unrelated to politics, don't derail the thread by bringing in politics.

It's one thing if a thread evolves into politics if it becomes clear that politics played a part in whatever the OP is about, but at that point it's probably better to just make a new thread in the political forum about it.

So, please stop. It's ridiculous.
edit on 2232020 by AutomateThis1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Welp, everyone has an agenda.

The only thing going free balling around here will get you is deleted.

(post by Lumenari removed for a manners violation)
(post by ZapBrannigan3030 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 01:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari
a reply to: AutomateThis1

Post removed by staff:

Cool.

I also said any other post.

I am also a patient and understanding person. So, if a person has failed to provide links in their initial post I don't have a problem waiting to see if they will correct their omission.

If the member fails to produce sources, then it is of course appropriate to have the thread binned. What I won't do which is aligned with my rant, and what I would like to see other members refrain from doing is derail the thread or insult the person for failing to do so.

It may make one feel superior or feel good and create a circle jerk, but it doesn't make one a better person.
edit on 2232020 by AutomateThis1 because: Wasn't done.

edit on Sun Mar 22 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

(post by Metallicus removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 01:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: ZapBrannigan3030
a reply to: Lumenari

[snip]

Not cool, bro.

When humor is lost, mankind is doomed.....

I'm sure someone smart said that one time.

Hell, it might be in the bible for all I know.
edit on 22-3-2020 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

(post by ZapBrannigan3030 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 01:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ZapBrannigan3030

See, Metallicus's statement is a statement that could be taken seriously, or could be humorous.

Hard to tell.

I took it as being humorous. I think it was the first class part that did it for me.

Hey Zap, at least you're not third rate

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 01:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1
My brevity will probably be seen as a violation of guidelines, but I hope moderators can grant a bit of leniency for just this one time.

Can we please stop derailing threads, the political trolling, personal attacks, and whatever else that causes threads to be locked for review?

There have been a number of threads that I saved for reading after work, and contained information that I though was worth looking into only for it get locked because one, two, or three members couldn't be mature enough to act like adults and not act like grammar school students.

I don't care if the OP is from a member I politically disagree with or is normally seen as a troll. If they post some information that they deem to be a cause for attention. Then, I want to hear about it.

I don't care if they don't provide links, because any mentally capable person should be able to use their favorite search engine to do see it for themselves. Dismissing an OP or any post because the member has failed to provide citation or source for their statement is intellectually lazy.

If any member posted something without backing information I would read it, and then go to a search engine of my choosing and within seconds to minutes find whatever it was that had been brought up.

But when I see a thread get locked, because members just cannot find it within their capabilities to refrain from acting like obnoxious children on a playground it pisses me off.

I don't care if normally during a political topic I don't agree with them. If the OP is a topic unrelated to politics, don't derail the thread by bringing in politics.

It's one thing if a thread evolves into politics if it becomes clear that politics played a part in whatever the OP is about, but at that point it's probably better to just make a new thread in the political forum about it.

Plenty of places you can free form rant online all you want to try Reddit for example.ATS has higher standards as in trying to deny ignorance.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 01:59 AM
link   

edit on 22-3-2020 by DietWoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 02:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

a reply to: Lumenari

A rant post with an opinion and you are calling for links?

[snip]

Not cool, bro.

[snip].

Actually, I wouldn't put it past her lol.

She's the kind of person I'd expect an air of respect follows her.

A fast reader might misread what you said though haha
edit on 22-3-2020 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 02:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

Plenty of places you can free form rant online all you want to try Reddit for example.ATS has higher standards as in trying to deny ignorance.

So, are you saying that the ATS rant forum serves no purpose? Or, is it simply that you disagree with what I have expressed?

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 02:06 AM
link   

edit on 22-3-2020 by DietWoke because: Rikku

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 02:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: DietWoke

It so doesn't. Where you been? This site has become a ballpit for trolls and all they get is a slap on the wrist.

This site used to have standards.

LOL I did say trying LOL but other places online are much much worse

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 02:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: DietWoke

It so doesn't. Where you been? This site has become a ballpit for trolls and all they get is a slap on the wrist.

This site used to have standards.

You shouldn't be so harsh, this place is probably one of the most censored places on the net for most of us.

They are certainly doing all they can to maintain probably one of the most real time "cleanest" places with regard to social interaction.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 02:18 AM
link   

So, are you saying that the ATS rant forum serves no purpose? Or, is it simply that you disagree with what I have expressed?

Mostly this part about the links... There is so much information flying around you can find 10 different versions of a topic all with a different spin on them. The exact source means we are reading the same information and now we can have a dialog about it. Otherwise well it comes off as a rant, could be something just popped into your head and you haven't anything too back it up with.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 02:57 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

I don't disagree, but my opinion is that even if we are going to read the same source of information, the member who posts a specific source will, instead of discussing exactly what the source material contains, comment their opinion/bias.

Also, they're isn't anything that prevents members from doing their own research about the topic of the OP from various other sources, obtaining their own opinions and further commenting with information gained outside of the OP source.

We end up seeing, what we should all be able to agree upon, people doing exactly what you've just mentioned. OP posts a source. Others say the source is bunk or fake news, because they don't like the source, the spin, the information disseminated, or whatever reason, and then produce a source about the same information but with a different source with different spin.

Which leads to arguments over the source itself instead of a discussion concerning the information.

It's my opinion that it is more beneficial to see information from a variety of sources to provide as much information as possible to see what information supports and what information contradicts.

We should know that unnamed sources don't warrant any credibility, but where one source says unnamed individual another source may name an individual.

One source may omit information, whereas another source may includes information that had previously been left out.

Where information has been omitted that's when we should be looking for it. When information contradicts that's when we should be logically seeking to see why the puzzle pieces don't fit.

Lack of information and source preference leads to a risk of filling in information ommissions and contradictions with beliefs and feelings that aren't based upon facts.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 03:01 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

Happened to a thread I made last night. Due to the subject matter or the fact I created it people show up to shut it down. There’s certain people here who want to end discourse. There’s nothing that scares them more than someone with an opposing viewpoint.

I figured out the solution though. Every thread I make from now on will be in the mud pit and nowhere else. That way people can be as ignorant and as insulting as they want but it’ll have to stay.

It doesn’t bother me, but it sucks for ATS. Because that just means the trolls who shut down threads have turned this whole place into nothing but the mud pit.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join