It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Triple A singleplayer video games are dying/dead next generation.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Triple A singleplayer video games are dying/dead next generation.

We all see how consoles are collapsing due to no time and lack of friends to play. I seen high schoolers all they talk about is multiplayer games and Fortnite. No one can afford new video game price. Same with Canadians. Who the fk will buy games at $80 new. No one. The price of new games were fine at $60. US itself is just murdering the gaming industry to the world using USD as economic weapon making the USD cost more than usual, so game prices all around the world rises like crazy.

Last time I saw Atari games was Test Drive Unlimited 2. Atari is dead now. Their website and forums no longer exist. Activision shutdown their own forums apparently. Part of Activision problem was not the economy. It is reusing the same title every new game, the only game they seem to be releasing now a days is CoD, they totally forgotten their own games. I wanted to go on the forums and suggest Activision to do remake of an open world game called Interstate 76. The graphics are old, but the story and gameplay is nice.

Interstate series I wonder if Activision still owns the rights.

I have not seen a proper car combat game since Spy Hunter. Speaking of Spy Hunter, someone should by the rights for it and remake it as an open world game. Something like the recent Max Mad open world, but with GTA cities and gang territory, etc.

Bioware got screwed over because EA keeps forcing them to make games no one wants or constantly following CoD death route making Dragon Age or Mass Effect. The people have spoke for Jade Empire 2 on the forums. They already killed off Dead Space and Burnout.

What other companies are failing out there? Blizzard hasn't been making any game series other than Starcraft.

Edit: I can see the hate on Blizzard. They did a remake or reforged of Warcraft 3.
Everyone was waiting for a Warcraft 4. Complete morons. If you going to do a remake you should start with the old game.

At least EA figured the remakes out, I'm getting Command and Conquer Remastered instead

edit on 21-3-2020 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 11:19 PM
link   
There is still a few gems here and there.

But yes, the current game landscape is either mobile garbage or multiplayer stuff, heavily weighted towards the chinese market(as in whatever sells there, is all that matters).

Thank god for a few holdouts.

Cypberpunk is going to be awesome and should hold us old school single player guys over for atleast 2 or 3 years until something else good comes out(be nice if there was another bioshock installment).

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 11:24 PM
link   
The micro transactions are the worst.

I still have a ps3 that plays ps2 and ps1 games though. Truly the best games on those systems. I was into rpgs so I got xenogears, chrono trigger, final fantasy 7, castlevania symphony of the night, oblivion, fallout 3/new Vegas and even the last fight night boxing game was ps3....the first 3 mass effect games...metal gear solid...could go on and on. I don't know if gaming gets back to that glory.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I love the Dragon Age and Mass Effect games. What I hate is game’s as services with micro transactions. Just charge a price and end it...I have gotten to the point I won’t buy a game because you end up jumping down a rabbit hole with endless pay to win BS.

I will pay $80 bucks for a game. What I won’t do is pay $80 bucks for a game and then spend 100s more to get anywhere.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ZapBrannigan3030

Be careful with that line of logic. I preorder Borderlands 3, because I was a huuuge Borderlands fan. Well, I still Like 1 and 2 and I do actually like the Pre-Sequel.

Borderlands 3, other than the gameplay, was trash. The story sucked. It was released unfinished like many other AAA games. And I like that isnpart of the issue with current big games.

Publishers like EA force production studios to release unfinished/untested games and the consumer becomes the unpaid testers. We are actually paying to test the games.

Fortnite for the longest as ran as being in beta.
They didn't ever need to finish the game, because the multiplayer is what sold it.

The future of gaming is mobile and pay to win. Whether we like it or not. Because that is what makes the studios and publishers money.

They can run a skeleton game and then over time introduce new seasons or whatever they call it where people are enticed to pay $20+ repeatedly over time, and that brings in more money than a one time payment of $60-$80.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Golden Eye and Perfect Dark are the only games I was into.

I actually grabbed Quantum of Solace on PS3 and it's not bad.

I don't really play games.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Once the single player market dies off, I'll start working on my backlog. I have several years of games that I've collected, that even if I had all the time in the world right now they would keep me occupied for several years or more. Realistic work expectations keep me in games that I'll enjoy for at least 20 years, not counting tabletop games which are getting super comprehensive and single player friendly. By that time I'll be a bit too old to care much, so not terribly worried.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

Thanks for the warning. But I'm a long time skeptic....and a pc gamer.

So even with the good titles I wait until months after release and "take the chance" on a sub 20 buck steam buy.

Because after decades of gaming I know that pretty much nothing is worth much more than that until it's vetted by the community.

The last(and honestly only game) i ever bought on release for full price was the last bioshock. It was good, not great. I might take a chance and pay 50 bucks for cyberpunk, but I'll never be an idiot that pays 80 for a COD release with a 2 hour single player storyline and the ability to listen to a bunch of chinese children screaming about f'ing my mom on multiplayer.

The gaming industry is obviously going the way of every other entertainment venue, rapidly into the dumpster.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ZapBrannigan3030

HAHAHA, you just brought back memories of me and my friends huddled around a small tv sharing a mic to talk trash at other kids.

Yeah, it was fun as youths, but as adults it's more annoying than anything.

Although, before I stopped playing videogames it was a guilty oleasure of mine to unmute the chat in GTAV and listen to the kids try and insult each other with the lamest insults in history. I really don't think they realize how they sound like children haha.

It was always great listening to kids/teens try and trash talk some retired older man who was drinking or partaking just for him to talk the foulest trash back.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Nope...
I'm playing rdr2 at the moment?
Cyberpunk is on the way, ubisoft is alive and kicking?
EA as well, even though anthem is trash, fifa 2021 will keep their books a cooking.

So I don't know what you're talking about?

Go play some Hunt: Showdown?
Seems like you're only seeing one side of the gaming industry, and seems like teenagers and $80 games has a lot to do with it.

Spent the last week playing Ark with a ton of friends...
I'm really looking forward to ray tracing in the next generation.
You should maybe go take a look at the new xbox or ps5.

The future for eye candy and AAA is looking bright.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 07:06 AM
link   
All I want to know is when is Baldur's Gate 3 coming out??

I am re-playing 1 & 2 until 3 comes out...

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: makemap

Since EA took over DICE, DICE hasn’t had a successful game launch.
The games are always rushed, 3/4 polished, and often unplayable.
Battlefield 4 is a perfect example of this.
The game was damn well unplayable for close to a year.
The stability was a joke.
You would be playing, everything seemed fine, then crash to home screen.

People knew it was because of EA.
Every game that dice released on their own was outstanding.
But EA Saw to it that they destroyed them.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Yea blizzard is failing terribly. Bad PR with the hongkong-china incident and now the abomination that was the wc3 remake.

Blizzard used to be a good gaming company. Now, they are more concerned about micro-transactions and greed. I doubt ill buy any game from them in the future.

edit on 22-3-2020 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Yea i believe that's what created the initial bad reputation for star wars battlefront. EA tried to force in microtransactions.

If you let Dice just build a great game and support it without microtransactions, the game will sell for a long time. Which, eventually happend to battlefront.

I blame the whales and kids with mommy's credit card who throw hundreds at microtransactions and created a video game world where games are built around it.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

Yeah I'm really looking forward to it, that trailer is a masterpiece.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Aside from MMORPG's like Everquest, I've not enjoyed most online/muiltiplayer games/shooters. Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn, Death Stranding, Uncharted, RDR 2 -- THOSE are the type of games I enjoy playing

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Single player games will never die.

EA said they have, gamers and game companies laugh and bagged them out say yeah their dead like...

* Horizon Zero Dawn.
* The Witcher series.
* Doom series.
* Red Dead series.
* GTA series.
* Elder Scroll series!!! Freakin Elder Scrolls!!
* Zelda series.
* God of War series.
* Assasins Cread series.
* Resident Evil series.
* Bulk of VR games.
Etc etc etc.

Then they release Jedi Fallen Order which is one of the best single player games of 2019.

Single player games are not dead and wont be.
edit on 23-3-2020 by Skyfox81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
Yea blizzard is failing terribly. Bad PR with the hongkong-china incident and now the abomination that was the wc3 remake.

Blizzard used to be a good gaming company. Now, they are more concerned about micro-transactions and greed. I doubt ill buy any game from them in the future.

DISCLAIMER: I work for Blizzard though everything I say below is not an official statement from the company but rather my opinion. We have multiple social media or contact approaches by which official statements can be gotten.

As is the case with everything in life there are multiple sides to every story and the HK-China scenario wasn't as simple as many people on the outside made it out to be. In the end I believe that our leadership resolved it as well as they could given all the variables and hopefully learned about the things that many employees felt they could have done better at the start. Additionally hopefully those responsible for the protest also take ownership of their specific part of the consequences that developed from that scenario.

Please help me understand which of our games are dependent on micro-transactions to play, beat or enjoy? Before I started working here I have played all but one of our games over the past 2 decades and haven't once leveraged a micro-transaction.

Additionally I hope we get a choice to change your opinion in the future but if you truly choose to never buy a Blizzard game again then ideally I hope you invest in another game company because as everyone is learning by massive increases in concurrency for almost all studios right now , video games play a role in the lives of people .
edit on 23-3-2020 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Skyfox81

Quake 4 had such an awesome single player experience. Way better than Doom. I hope they make a Quake 5. That game was so much nostalgia. You had to protect AI and AI had helped you. You don't feel lonely like most of the FPS games where your always alone. I hate games where your alone and you have to shoot everyone yourself. That is why I don't own the new doom games.
edit on 23-3-2020 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: makemap

Yes i loved Q4 single player. Even the single player multiplayer stages.

Was a great co-op game.

Not a big Quake fan but loved that one.
4.5/5 for me

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join