It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New hashtag- #FactsHurtFeelings: Leftist Subjective Reality and "Truth Over Facts"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 01:29 PM
link   
The content of this post is somewhat abbreviated to avoid the TR;DL effect, but I present this for discussion ...

Back in August, ol' Unka Joe was ranting at a bunch of Iowans and he said something that most people have written off as a typical Biden
'gaffe," simply an indication of his encroaching senility; but even Balaam's ass spoke truth in a moment of unintentional clarity. There was more to Biden's statement than a simple-minded old coot stumbling over his words. He meant exactly what he said! The exact quote (at about the 4 second mark in the embedded video) was:

We choose truth over facts.

He meant what he said, and he said it as a representative of his party, his religion, his widely shared world-view and the tribe the subscribes to it. This is the "we" that he was talking about.

You see, truth has, through the ages, been considered as an empirically based reality, something that was non-negotiable. There was only one version of the truth. Now days, people talk about "your truth" and "my truth." Truth has become a commodity that is manipulated, bartered, traded and sold. It can be shaped to serve an agenda. It is subjective.

There was a day when there was one version of truth and it was fairly agreed upon. Anyone who didn't agree with it was just considered either a liar or mentally unstable. Then subjectivism came into the picture. Suddenly, we could have multiple versions of the truth.

The Encyclopedia Britannica defines truth as follows:

Truth, in metaphysics and the philosophy of language, the property of sentences, assertions, beliefs, thoughts, or propositions that are said, in ordinary discourse, to agree with the facts or to state what is the case. (Emphasis added by me.

In modern so-called progressive thought (and I hold this a misnomer as it should be called regressive thought), truth has been divorced from empirical fact or evidence.

When Biden said that "we" (i.e., his tribe, and it is a tribe, at war with any tribe that does not align itself with them) would "choose truth over fact," he was simply making the assertion that facts and reality no longer matter to them. Their reality is subjective. They can choose what they will consider to be true and you be (literally) damned if you don't tow the line. Funny thing is, truth becomes a subjective reality until it is twisted into their version of "truth", then suddenly it's non-negotiable. This step is largely based on feelings and not facts.

As an example: Two genders based on empirical scientific fact? Literally for eons that has been considered the empirically based reality of the world we live in. Not any more! If somebody feels that they are of an alternate gender, that is "their truth", empirical scientific fact be damned. #FactsHurtFeelings so they must be rejected in lieu of somebody's (anybody's) "truth" at a given moment.

And since their version of truth is no longer based on any empirical reality, it becomes fluid (much like their genders?).

I've chosen the non-binary gender argument to illustrate this because it is well know and much discussed, but there are so many more examples of this. I'm sure you could think of a few.

The battle being waged is not a "culture war", as some have mistakenly dubbed it; it goes much deeper than culture. It is a battle to reshape the very fabric of reality and redefine existence according to the "feelings[/i] of a group very vocal, aggressive and (by long-standing metaphysical and philosophical proofs) either deceptive or mentally unstable individuals.

The appeal to deny empirical reality based on the feelings of people who want to deny it is destructive to human society as a whole, and I am convinced that that destruction is part of their agenda.

#FactsHurtFeelings
:
edit on 2020 3 21 by incoserv because: I'm a bit anal about my orthography.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

The debate about the nature of truth, whether it is in empiricism or idealism has been around since the dawn of philosophy as we know it. I would say that truth has made a shift towards empiricism in society with the Theory of Relativity whereas Einstein get rid of a plenum (absolute space and absolute time) and replace it with relative spacetime, in which any body moving in a straight line with constant speed can consider itself stationary in regards to others.
edit on 3 21 2020 by IgnorantGod because: (no reason given)

new topics

join