It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Medical Worker Describes Terrifying Lung Failure From COVID-19 — Even in His Young Patients

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 11:10 AM
link   
A Medical Worker Describes Terrifying Lung Failure From COVID-19 — Even in His Young Patients

Here is a very fascinating and concerning account from a medical worker in New Orleans describing what he is seeing in relatively young patients with Covid-19.  Relatively healthy patients with a fairly clean medical history are suffering from extreme respiratory distress (Acute Respiratory Distress Ryndrome, ARDS), with lungs filled with fluid very quickly, akin to someone who has drowned.

“It first struck me how different it was when I saw my first coronavirus patient go bad. I was like, Holy [#], this is not the flu. Watching this relatively young guy, gasping for air, pink frothy secretions coming out of his tube and out of his mouth. The ventilator should have been doing the work of breathing but he was still gasping for air, moving his mouth, moving his body, struggling. We had to restrain him. With all the coronavirus patients, we’ve had to restrain them. They really hyperventilate, really struggle to breathe.

There have also been first-hand accounts from relatively young people and the symptoms and effects they've felt from presumed Covid-19, although they couldn't get tested for confirmation.

Some more highlights from the article:

Since last week, he’s been running ventilators for the sickest COVID-19 patients. Many are relatively young, in their 40s and 50s, and have minimal, if any, preexisting conditions in their charts. He is overwhelmed, stunned by the manifestation of the infection, both its speed and intensity. The ICU where he works has essentially become a coronavirus unit. He estimates that his hospital has admitted dozens of confirmed or presumptive coronavirus patients. About a third have ended up on ventilators.

"I have patients in their early 40s and, yeah, I was kind of shocked. I’m seeing people who look relatively healthy with a minimal health history, and they are completely wiped out, like they’ve been hit by a truck. This is knocking out what should be perfectly fit, healthy people. Patients will be on minimal support, on a little bit of oxygen, and then all of a sudden, they go into complete respiratory arrest, shut down and can’t breathe at all.”

“It’s called acute respiratory distress syndrome, ARDS. That means the lungs are filled with fluid. And it’s notable for the way the X-ray looks: The entire lung is basically whited out from fluid. Patients with ARDS are extremely difficult to oxygenate. It has a really high mortality rate, about 40%. The way to manage it is to put a patient on a ventilator. The additional pressure helps the oxygen go into the bloodstream. “Normally, ARDS is something that happens over time as the lungs get more and more inflamed. But with this virus, it seems like it happens overnight.

Then, there's this data from the CDC.

Among 508 (12%) patients known to have been hospitalized, 9% were aged ≥85 years, 36% were aged 65–84 years, 17% were aged 55–64 years, 18% were 45–54 years, and 20% were aged 20–44 years. Less than 1% of hospitalizations were among persons aged ≤19 years (Figure 2). The percentage of persons hospitalized increased with age, from 2%–3% among persons aged ≤19 years, to ≥31% among adults aged ≥85 years. (Table).

Among 121 patients known to have been admitted to an ICU, 7% of cases were reported among adults ≥85 years, 46% among adults aged 65–84 years, 36% among adults aged 45–64 years, and 12% among adults aged 20–44 years (Figure 2). No ICU admissions were reported among persons aged ≤19 years. Percentages of ICU admissions were lowest among adults aged 20–44 years (2%–4%) and highest among adults aged 75–84 years (11%–31%) (Table).

And this after just seeing that roughly 15% of New York City's Covid-19 diagnoses end up with hospitalizations.

Be safe, folks.

edit on 21-3-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 11:14 AM
link   
the oils for thc vaping have thinners that are awful....imo. or the medium for extraction...crap...butane....really crap...CO2 method still has the dang thinner

my complaint to my friends, when I told em it makes them zombie....were the patients vaping idk....
edit on 21-3-2020 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-3-2020 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 11:22 AM
link   
If you end up with a severe case, it can go really bad for you. At that point, it's a crap shoot, and I've been saying that, but some choose not to listen.

The you have about the same chance to develop a severe case as anyone else once you get into your 20s. I've seen those numbers somewhere. You'r chances of going critical are less, but it can still happen.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

Vaping makes sense, especially as we already know it causes health problems -- before this came along.
Experts question whether vaping epidemic is behind younger adults being hospitalized with coronavirus

And a study published in Chinese Medical Journal last month revealed that current or former smokers were 14 times more at risk of developing severe coronavirus infections and 14 percent more at risk for pneumonia than those who never smoked.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

As more information about COVID-19 spreads like the virus itself. It should be clear to anyone paying attention that this is not only hitting the old.

It is also not only causing flu like symptoms.

Many reports of lung damage. Reports of it damaging the male reproductive system. Even reports of it causing psychosis in the people who recover.

COVID-19 'can affect everybody': It isn't just attacking and killing the old and sick in Canada

Anzarouth is far from alone. Seemingly lost in the deluge of information and messaging around coronavirus is that it is not only the elderly and those with underlying health issues who are at risk. No one, regardless of health or age, is immune to this virus, though some will experience it more severely than others.

According to federal government statistics, 21 per cent of coronavirus cases in Canada fall between the ages of 20 to 39. In the U.S., the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released data earlier this week that reported nearly 40 per cent of hospitalizations for COVID-19 were for people aged 20 to 44 years old. The New York Times is reporting that, after a surge in new cases, half the infections are in individuals under 50.

In Canada, many of the provinces have not been forthcoming with age-distributed data related to new cases. “Manitoba is not posting the specific ages of COVID-19 cases,” a spokesperson for the Manitoba government told the Post after a request for data. Neither Ontario nor British Columbia has released age-distributed data about hospitalizations. Those two provinces were approaching 600 cases by late Friday.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Vaping a THC cartridge and vaping a normal PG-based vape juice are two completely different conversations.

THC carts are made on the black market and normally contain a lipid solvent that helps boost the effects of THC (same reason making a thc butter gets you higher than eating a raw bud... THC is lipid activated).

Vaping any form of lipid is well known to cause lipid-induced-pneumonia. That is what those millennials in one single state were dying from. One bad experimental batch that was trying to boost potency.

Propylene Glycol... The base of all actual vape juices (along with vegetable glycerin and food grade flavorings)... Is well researched and documented to be one of the most effective aerosolized antimicrobial ingredientswe've ever tested.

PG is the #1 used and recommended base of all medical aerosol inhalers.

Vaping PG vape juice isn't causing any extra harm to young CV patients. It might actually help them...

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Wonder why we don’t see doctors describing lung failure in people with lung cancer?
Lung cancer stats

Weird because 130-150k die from it in the US a year; my uncle passed from it and it was a slow horrible death....

But tobacco companies pay millions to surpress it. Now the opposite is being down my Big Pharma....

Last year the Costs for Critical Medical Care rose substantially by 92% ......
Money over lives

So they want an increase in patients; all the people that run health companies; after all it is a business.

And business is a booming

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: YouAreLiedTo

Thc cartridges are not made on the black market

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Thenail

The ones that caused the reactions were.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouAreLiedTo

Vaping a THC cartridge and vaping a normal PG-based vape juice are two completely different conversations....Vaping PG vape juice isn't causing any extra harm to young CV patients. It might actually help them...

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain that to me. I had no idea, and it makes a huge difference. It's the "how," not the "what."

The devil's always in the details, eh?

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 02:23 PM
link   

... minimal, if any, preexisting conditions in their charts. ...

This may sound calloused, but it's New Orleans for cryin' out loud!

I'm from SE Louisiana. I know New Orleans. Much of it is a cesspool of human existence. A person in New Orleans who is what this article referred to as healthy patients with a fairly clean medical history and minimal, if any, preexisting conditions in their charts could well be IV drug users who have just never been to the hospital so don't have a chart.

I. Need. More. Information.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 02:36 PM
link   
In the Philipines they are using an extract of the coconut oil to treat covid, with good results. They have already been using it for a whole slew of other diseases. Reviewers on Amazon have it to heal and reduce effects of all kinds of serious health issues.

My daughter just did a reorder, and I have some on the way for my son and I.

I think it is called Lauracidin

Heres what it said on WebMD:

Lauric acid is a saturated fat. It is found in many vegetable fats, particularly in coconut and palm kernel oils. People use it as medicine.

Lauric acid is used for treating viral infections including influenza (the flu); swine flu; avian flu; the common cold; fever blisters, cold sores, and genital herpes caused by herpes simplex virus (HSV); genital warts caused by human papillomavirus (HPV); and HIV/AIDS. It is also used for preventing the transmission of HIV from mothers to children.

Other uses for lauric acid include treatment of bronchitis, gonorrhea, yeast infections, chlamydia, intestinal infections caused by a parasite called Giardia lamblia, and ringworm.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

I'm from SE Louisiana. I know New Orleans. Much of it is a cesspool of human existence. A person in New Orleans who is what this article referred to as healthy patients with a fairly clean medical history and minimal, if any, preexisting conditions in their charts could well be IV drug users who have just never been to the hospital so don't have a chart.

It's a dr, for goodness' sakes, describing a "healthy male," drs are well versed in determining presenting of "healthy males." We have plenty of people here, young, in college or off college age, not doing a plethora of drugs.

I am appalled for our city you kneejerk react this way.
regards and stay safe,
tetra

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Ive been wondering for a bit how this virus might effect someone that vaped heavily, this might be the sign that truly tells us if vaping damages your lungs or not.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

Half of my family grew up in Slidell across the pond from NO...

That parish/state has some of the most strict drug-court laws in the nation.

If we are going to start ignoring doctor reports here in the US, then your head is buried so deep there's no helping you.

Some people won't accept realityuntil someone they know dies...

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem

Can I ask which one you ordered?

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: McGinty

originally posted by: visitedbythem

Can I ask which one you ordered?

Lauricidin® 4.6 stars on Amazon. Get some before it runs out. My son said an article came out yesterday
edit on 21-3-2020 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouAreLiedTo

Vaping a THC cartridge and vaping a normal PG-based vape juice are two completely different conversations.

THC carts are made on the black market and normally contain a lipid solvent that helps boost the effects of THC (same reason making a thc butter gets you higher than eating a raw bud... THC is lipid activated).

Vaping any form of lipid is well known to cause lipid-induced-pneumonia. That is what those millennials in one single state were dying from. One bad experimental batch that was trying to boost potency.

Propylene Glycol... The base of all actual vape juices (along with vegetable glycerin and food grade flavorings)... Is well researched and documented to be one of the most effective aerosolized antimicrobial ingredientswe've ever tested.

PG is the #1 used and recommended base of all medical aerosol inhalers.

Vaping PG vape juice isn't causing any extra harm to young CV patients. It might actually help them...

Finally! Someone that gives an educated, and fact based response to all the vape hysteria. I do not advocate vaping for anyone, and would never even claim it is a healthier alternative to smoking because we don't know for sure. I vape myself, and anecdotal as my experience may be, its has NOT caused a single issue with my lungs or my breathing since I switched from cigarettes 5 years ago. Quite the opposite in fact, there have been many benefits switching from smoking where my lung function is concerned. I am a recovered alcoholic in AA and alcoholics SMOKE too. I literally know 40 people that have been vaping long term and none of them have ever had issues either.

Those kids got a bad batch of something, END OF STORY.
edit on 2020211202000000031 by odd1out because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 05:20 AM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

Just ordered! Thanks for the heads up!

Their website says start with 1/4 scoop 2-3 times a day and work your way up to a full scoop, but it simply suggests that should take 'weeks to months'. Can i ask how long you took to work your way up to a full scoop 2-3 times a day?

Also, can i ask if you've used it for children and how you handled that? I have a child just turning 8 with asthma and tree nut allergies and am wondering if/how much i should give him. Again, the website suggests 'children 3-10 have 1-5 pellets and work their way up more slowly' which is pretty vague.

Thanks again

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: SeektoUnderstand

Most lung cancer manifests with the growth of solid tumors, that the airways of the lung can kind of 'vent around'.

Sometimes, if a tumor erodes in to a blood vessel, or occludes a larger airway, it can cause respiratory challenges or failure. Also rarely, if a tumor is of the 'mucinous adenocarcinoma with a lepidic growth pattern' variety (formerly known as bronchioloalveolar carcinoma, mucinous type), it can fill the lungs with mucoid fluid and cause respiratory failure that way too, but these instances represent only a minority of all lung cancer cases.

edit on 22-3-2020 by Fowlerstoad because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join