It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suspend Mortgage and Rent until we can work!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

I bartend and manage while my girlfriend is a waitress and bartender. Bars have been shut down, food is togo only. So we are both out of work for at least a month.

There are many others in my town with no savings, who cant make rent unless they work full time who are really going to have problems. If you did not know, Key West is one of the most expensive places to live in the US, we pay $2300 for a 2 bedroom and have 2 kids to take care of. Food and other expenses are more of a priority than rent. I'm not about to wipe out my savings to keep the landlord happy over the next 2 months.
edit on 21-3-2020 by jrod because: Add

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: jrod

That should also include credit card payments. Banks got bailed out in 2008, why cant they cut the very same people whose tax money saved them a break?

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I wonder how many small business owners depend on monthly rents for their livelihoods? For example, some people — who aren’t wealthy — own houses they rent out. A lot of homeowners in Austin rent one of their bedrooms and bathrooms to a tenant just to cover their property taxes. Otherwise they wouldn’t be able to afford a house here.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: silo13

Well, I have no source of income either...

Who's fault is that?

And my 'source' of income is nearly a full time job with the crap I have to deal with.

What part of all businesses being shut down don't you understand?

I'm pretty able to grasp simple concepts. I'll make sure and ask you if I don't 'get it'.

As I wrote before in several other posts, this is why suspending mortgages and rent together is the only solution.

How about you get your check from the Government and pay your freakin' rent - pretty sure the $$$ isn't intended for people to 'party on Wayne'.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I bartend and manage while my girlfriend is a waitress and bartender. Bars have been shut down, food is togo only. So we are both out of work for at least a month.

There are many others in my town with no savings, who cant make rent unless they work full time who are really going to have problems. If you did not know, Key West is one of the most expensive places to live in the US, we pay $2300 for a 2 bedroom and have 2 kids to take care of. Food and other expenses are more of a priority than rent. I'm not about to wipe out my savings to keep the landlord happy over the next 2 months.

Landlords need to accept that they are going to lose a few months of rent.
If any of them start any eviction proceedings, the community will hang them from the nearest lampost.

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Cascade effects.

The economy is really, really a complex thing.

edit on 3/22/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi is attempting to slow down the consumer stimulus package.

thehill.com...

Is anyone the least bit surprised?

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Saw something about that. There was a false report that she tried to slip in abortion funding on the bill too. Unfortunately the fake news keeps being spread via social media because the 'target audience's for the story will not fact check anything.

I just woke up, we have a little more than a week before most of us have rent/mortgages due.

I have been watching the infection numbers quickly increasing for the US. By the end of this week, there will likely be more restrictions and more people out of work which makes the call for a rent/mortgage moratorium increasingly urgent.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
Landlords need to accept that they are going to lose a few months of rent.
If any of them start any eviction proceedings, the community will hang them from the nearest lampost.

I'm a private landlord.
I also work (self-employed) but the current restrictions mean that I can't earn any money at all from my day-job.
Without the modest income from my rental properties, I would have no income at all.
The UK Govt has already outlawed evictions (for lack of rent payments) for a period of 6 months.
I cannot just "accept" that I will lose a few months rent, because I won't be able to feed my family during that time.

I fully understand that many people (like me!!) are not earning right now and that something needs to be done, but you can't just stop paying rent (that's just passing on the problem to the private landlords)!

IMHO anyone affected by the current crisis should qualify for a mortgage payment amnesty / deferral for 3-6 months, or their Rent should be payed directly to the landlord by the Govt. (like an Emergency Housing Benefit).
That would ensure that no evictions would be necessary.

respectfully,
G

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Well I don't have mortgage or rent. I own my house outright but I have to pay taxes and insurance every month which are paid through your bank if you pay a mortgage.
So this plan would help people who are paying for a house but not those who already own them.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

They need to pay my rent because...?

Obama Care.

Wow really?

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Fools

No if McConnell gets his way there won't be any help.
Get ready to lose your house and go hungry.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

If only this hadn't started as a Democrat hoax because they lost an election.

Years and years ago now but apparently still holding that gridge. Lol.

You know. Like dear leader told you.

Perhaps if he wasn't trying to cover up his crimes in the Ukraine in January and watching tv all day he might have had time to actually care about the American people and gotten ahead of this thing.
But we all know what he was doing in January. Covering up what he did in the months before that and hoping to keep his job.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

The democrats made a virus now.

I am like a god.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Good luck with everything. I just got out of the restaurant biz after 20+ years in it, so many of my friends are facing these same issues (I’m in Ft. Lauderdale, BTW).

Really, a mortgage suspension would certainly help me and my extended family out. While I will be coming to work for the foreseeable future (I maintain some government offices, as well as many others on a 500,000 sq foot campus) I have family who are out of work and don’t have a dime to their names that I’ve been sending money to. I gave what I could after getting paid to my sister to make sure she could feed my nephew then dropped off groceries to my father and stepmother, who rely on their EBay business with a small pension check to cover his lot fees. I’d probably be able to support all of them through this if my mortgage were suspended, however, in it’s current state, what I did over the weekend won’t happen again for another 2 weeks.

I’m going to speak with my father-in-law later regarding all this as he owns a couple apartment buildings he rents out. His main business is owning and operating a hair salon which has been a community staple for over 30 years, that was closed last week due to this and while I know he can probably get through this without worrying about taking rent from his renters, I’m still curious on this thoughts about it all. I know he owns his properties outright, but I believe he is still paying his staff while the shop is closed down. Surely a tax break would help him keep everyone afloat without worrying about f*cking himself over.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: openminded2011
That should also include credit card payments.

You just need to call and your credit card company will allow you to defer payments, you do need to pay any interest however.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Once again, those of us that prepared for an unexpected emergency will get screwed over bailing out people and companies that didn't.

No one could have planned for the whole world to shut down economically.
Most Americans live paycheck to paycheck and are only $400.00 away from a financial crisis and this is new territory for everyone.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Government check might be $1000. My rent is $2300. Do I need to explain how that will not cut it?
(You claim you understand but you don't. We went from 2 full time employed adults, to unemployed last week. We make our money via gratuity(except for my 1 managing shift per week that did not happen last week, which means we don't have an extra paycheck coming).

Making sure we have plenty of money for food and other essentials will take priority over rent.
edit on 23-3-2020 by jrod because: Add

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Exactly.

The number of homeless in America is going to be exponentially increased if no one can work. I can't remember the percent of workers who live paycheck to paycheck and can barely pay rent but it's huge. Even middle class is in that same boat.

Sadly I estimate (and I hope I'm wrong) at least 65% of the USA being homeless.

The country can't afford that either.

What's next?

Anarchy?
A purge on the govt and 1%ers?
Turn into North Korea without the labor death camps?
USA becomes a 3rd world country?

Our govt pays to get every homeless into a home?

We are so screwed.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer

If you want people to pay rent during this time, you'll need to meet people half way. Maybe halve rent or something, do something to at least demonstrate you are understanding and trying to work with people.

Saying, "I need me and mine, pay your damn rent" deserves no sympathy from anyone. Either give a damn and work with people or get no sympathy.

If everyone else has to make due with less, so can you. The reason why many landlords will end up screwed is being unwilling to bend and play a part in making things easier. Which in great irony will end up in them getting jack #.

When people are struggling, and the landlord says, "I don't give a #" the person will get rightfully angry, look into things, see you can't evict for six months or whatever during this time, decide you're an asshole and other things are more important, and you now are screwed for six months. People talk, and there's a cascade effect.

My personal suggestion is to be proactive. Figure out what you can do to ease the burden on your renters and approach them and offer it yourself, demonstrating both that you care, and are aware that everyone's struggling. You will be more likely to continue receiving some form of compensation, as well as gaining more loyal renters, as well as a positive reputation.
edit on 3/23/2020 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join