It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Crisis May Be Imminent

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 12:05 PM
link   
With all these measures being taken; for better or worse, one begs the question.
What will happen to the supply chain for most of America and the world if this crisis continues on its current path?
I work in receiving at a Costco, have been checking the depots daily, and looking for anomalies in the system.
As of last Wednesday it was steady, and our GIANT freezer and cooler used to store food and produce is mostly empty except for essentials.
When we get a shipment of cold products it’s called a “wet” load and anything else is a “dry” load.. we usually at my location get 4-8 trucks a day. And the pallet count on each is roughly between 53-80; however I’ve noticed more and more these shipments turn to 30-50 pallets and we are no longer receiving any “unnecessary” items.....
I will continue to update the members here but these are some links to the current Farm/ Produce business and the troubles they will surely face with this lockdown scenario...

Labor and food shortage

Labor shortage due to migrant workers not being allowed to harvest

Food shortage due to lack of labor

Anyone in the industry have any thoughts???

Mods: feel free to move to “adequate” forum.

edit on 20-3-2020 by SeektoUnderstand because: Totle change

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: SeektoUnderstand
I was thinking a out this very thing yesterday. Along with healthcare workers I think you have an extremely important job. If food starts disappearing from the store shelves there will be chaos. Ill bet the preppers are feeling smug. HA!

Ill bet you never get thanked for what you do for a living, but I thank you

Keep us updated if you detect any anomalies

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Spader

Thank you sir, I’m just doing my job. We all have jobs that are instrumental to well being and success. I will keep updating

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 12:21 PM
link   

You must hate the elderly.

Sorry, just kidding. Thank you for bringing more into the equation of what must be considered. Thank you -- you raise a very good point.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Just trying to be helpful in a time of unknowing.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Well if there's a "food crisis" on the horizon, why would Walmart be hiring 150,000 jobs?

Walmart, Dollar Tree and 7-Eleven want to hire nearly 200,000 workers as the coronavirus pandemic continues

www.cnn.com...

link   
A truck driver/farmer who comes in where i work was telling me yesterday that his friend (i know, a friend of a buddies aunts friend, ) hauls into one of the large pork processing facilities in the area. Bob evans i believe.
This guy said they are processing 10000 hogs a day, and everything they put out is being bought up as fast as it hits the shelves. They cant keep up with demand.

Farmer guy said there are 3 facilities like that in this general area that are doing about the same.

30000 hogs a day! Hopefully people have the ability to store all the crap their buying till they can use it and it doesnt just end up going to waste.

And like the above poster said, thank you, and all the other workers involved in getting the things we need to the shelves in stores all across the country.

This buds for you lol

link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Ask Walmart...it's a good question.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 12:40 PM
link   

This is something we all need to give some thought to.

People might consider baking some Survivor Cookies while they can. I finally got all the ingredients together and will make a couple batches this weekend. There are several recipes online.

They are basically nutrient dense oatmeal cookies, with dried fruits and nuts and seeds and whatever sounds good to you. "Ranger" cookies and "Trail" cookies are similar. Peanut butter cookies (with lots of peanut butter) are also protein rich. One large cookie is supposed to supply a day's worth of nutrients -- hence the "survivor." My grandma used to talk about eating them during the Depression. My mom made them for our hikes and camping trips, and I did the same for my kids.

And I'm making them for the Coronapocalypse!!!

Survival Cookies
Survival Cookies Recipe
No Bake Survival Cookies

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeektoUnderstand
With all these measures being taken; for better or worse, one begs the question.
What will happen to the supply chain for most of America and the world if this crisis continues on its current path?
I work in receiving at a Costco, have been checking the depots daily, and looking for anomalies in the system.
As of last Wednesday it was steady, and our GIANT freezer and cooler used to store food and produce is mostly empty except for essentials.
When we get a shipment of cold products it’s called a “wet” load and anything else is a “dry” load.. we usually at my location get 4-8 trucks a day. And the pallet count on each is roughly between 53-80; however I’ve noticed more and more these shipments turn to 30-50 pallets and we are no longer receiving any “unnecessary” items.....
I will continue to update the members here but these are some links to the current Farm/ Produce business and the troubles they will surely face with this lockdown scenario...

Labor and food shortage

Labor shortage due to migrant workers not being allowed to harvest

Food shortage due to lack of labor

Anyone in the industry have any thoughts???

Mods: feel free to move to “adequate” forum.

So are you able to see the whole picture or mostly receiving? Are people buying more? More wet products as maybe they've already acquired necessary dry products? Is it because people have been laid off that were supplying products do you think?

As a prepper, I'm not smug. I'm not worried about going hungry I can tell you that. But I do feel prepared and that is a good feeling. I know several families that aren't preppers and have many small mouths to feed and I have let a few know that I am there for them. I have even laid out plans to them should economics fail and ripple effects affect food availability. I can't save the world but I can help a few.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 12:53 PM
link   

The logistical chain is moving fairly well, it's just being rerouted for more urgent needs. We've got our surge fleet running supplies primarily into California. We're going to see shortages for sure, but I don't think we'll see a full blown crisis. California produce isn't set to really start going for a few more weeks IIRC. What we usually haul around now is produce coming up from Mexico, and some seasonal produce. So it's not surprising it's slower than normal. Once we start to get our feet back under us it'll start rolling in.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

We have sold out of rice, sugar, flour, oil, eggs, bread, chicken, beef, pork, frozen pizzas, frozen veggies and fruit. Almost everyday since last Wednesday.

At the beginning before the sanctions on travel and crowd limits our door counts (people coming in embers half hour (we only count membership cards not whole groups) was around 6-7 hundred on average..... now on a “regular” Saturday we get 3-4 hundred door counts at PEAK hours.... these 600 hundred counts were the average for Tuesday-Friday last week

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Thanks for the update
and all you do.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Good to know. I just bought some fresh broccoli and cauliflower, Romaine lettuce. Sounds like I'll be freezing what I can so I can spread it out a little more. Can't wait for spring to arrive in my area so I can grow instead of tying to find and buy.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: shawmanfromny

Well if there's a "food crisis" on the horizon, why would Walmart be hiring 150,000 jobs?

Walmart, Dollar Tree and 7-Eleven want to hire nearly 200,000 workers as the coronavirus pandemic continues

www.cnn.com...

Replace the dying?

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I work for a diary. Right now I have too much hours a week and they also want me to come Saturdays.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Honestly, from this side of things you have to see the humor. We've gone from "those damn truck drivers" that most people wanted to see bringing their stuff and getting out of their town as fast as possible, to "thank God for truck drivers" and business opening their parking lots, total strangers offering to make us food, and even police departments telling us where it's ok to park and offering to either deliver food, or pick us up to go get food overnight. I have no illusions that it'll last, but at least people are finally learning that we're more than an annoyance.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Theres plenty of us out there that realize the importance of the trucking industry in good times and bad, thanks for keeping it rolling!

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

Oh I know there are. But we see so many more of the other type that it's easy to forget.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: UFO1414

originally posted by: shawmanfromny

www.cnn.com...

Replace the dying?

Walmart has that many senior employees? There has been what little over 200 deaths and and walmart is hiring 150,000 to replace them, they must have burdened a great bit of the work load and all worked at walmart! C'mon man!!!!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join