It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Norway releases prisoners, admits young people in intensive care, undemocratic crisis law suggested

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 09:38 AM
link   
More updates from the Coronavirus pandemic in Norway.

1) Norway starts releasing prisoners in an attempt to reduce the risk of contamination, so far 126 prisoners has been released.

Q: Is it a good idea to release convicted criminals back into the society now that we're already expecting to see a rise in crime & unlawfulness?

2) Until now, the Norwegian health authorities has only reported that older people have been hospitalized, today they admitted that this is incorrect after pressure from several hospitals - health officials now admit that 1 of 3 people in intensive care from the Coronavirus are younger than 50 years old, the Health Minister blames privacy for not mentioning this fact earlier.

Q: For some reason privacy was not an issue when they multiple times said that 70-80 year olds had died from the virus - were people intentionally mislead not to spread a panic, and if so, was it wise of them to do so?

3) Norway closes its border, but not for asylum seekers. After the border was closed, 15 asylum seekers has been brought into the country.

Q: Does this make sense? Don't asylum seekers also have the Coronavirus as much as anyone entering the country?

4) The government asks for a temporary 6 month authority to make decisions that according to the Constitution must be made by the Parliament.

Q: Does this not violate the core of the western democratic process, or is it good that the government can get things done quickly in an emergency?

Is this a trend that we see in other countries also? Releasing prisoners and admitting that Coronavirus does not discriminate when it comes to age? Does your country also admit asylum seekers to enter your country after its borders were closed? Is your government passing laws that will let them bypass your Parliament at will?

Sources:

2) The Minister of Health is concerned that young people need intensive care
1,3) Latest Coronavirus news

4) The Parliament applies the brakes to the government's proposed crisis law and The Parliament considers an enabling act

-MM
edit on 20-3-2020 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaMeditation

This is the same country/government that thought they could stop the migrant rape epidemic by spending 2.5 million for that song "Stop! Don't touch me there. This is my no-no square."?

Nope nevermind that was Finland.

edit on 20-3-2020 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Is this a trend that we see in other countries also? Releasing prisoners and admitting that Coronavirus does not discriminate when it comes to age?

This really needs to be made common knowledge. Obviously, for the sake of everyone's health and best interests.

But also because the old vs young wars are really getting out of hand. Looking at the numbers, it seems that all age groups are fairly evenly represented in terms of complications and hospitalizations; only deaths increase among the elderly.

This divide-and-conquer only serves the critters. It doesn't serve OUR best interests. Just the opposite.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Source? a reply to: MerkabaMeditation

Also they should have a collaborated site with updates from each countries administration..... all for one; one for all in all that

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: SeektoUnderstand
Source? a reply to: MerkabaMeditation

Also they should have a collaborated site with updates from each countries administration..... all for one; one for all in all that

2) The Minister of Health is concerned that young people need intensive care

4) The Parliament applies the brakes to the government's proposed crisis law

1,3) Latest Coronavirus news

-MM

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Thank you, stay safe and vigilant

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I had noticed the fact that the media were not speculating about prisons. There are two ways of taking this issue. It could be argued, on the one hand, that prisons are by definiton excellent "Self-isolation" units. In theory, the prisoners are so isolated from the rest of the world that they could be safer where they are. On the other hand, if infection does get in, prisons become death-traps, like liners. On the other hand again, any prisoners in an affected prison are "contacts", and would have to be isolated anyway- so why not isolate them in place?

edit on 20-3-2020 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Facebook is blocking that first link from being shared

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Seems like prison would be kinda forced social distancing and isolation, dont quite get why you release them.... no I really cant see the benefit to releasing them.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Most jails and prisons in the west are overcrowded. Meaning a felony cell that was designed for 8 prisoners now holds 12.

Solitary confinement is a luxury; you have to lavish insane amounts of guard-hours on watching every inmate, plus feeding and moving them to meals, exercise, visitation, etc. Most solitaries get only 1 shower a week, and 1 hour exercise per week, and it still runs the staff ragged, trying to securely move each individual, for an an average of 2 moves every 24 hours. Most of all, solitary confinement elevates suicide risk. Suicide is the leading cause of death in prisons in every country that keeps statistics. And the voters will not tolerate a "let them" attitude toward suicide.

Most jail breaks begin with misuse of infirmary or paramedic access. You need extra guards of medical personal, so that they will feel completely safe--or else they won't do the job, and understandably so. And you've got to monitor every needle, every pin-prick that can either be a potential weapon, or an HIV contamination.

Or you can send the low-risk ones home.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Is it a good idea to release convicted criminals back into the society now that we're already expecting to see a rise in crime & unlawfullness?

Depends on why they were in jail. Not every person convicted of a crime is a bad person.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I would think that a jail or prison would already have a huge head start with a quarantine and should have been easier to keep the virus out.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

Is this a trend that we see in other countries also? Releasing prisoners and admitting that Coronavirus does not discriminate when it comes to age?

This really needs to be made common knowledge. Obviously, for the sake of everyone's health and best interests.

But also because the old vs young wars are really getting out of hand. Looking at the numbers, it seems that all age groups are fairly evenly represented in terms of complications and hospitalizations; only deaths increase among the elderly.

This divide-and-conquer only serves the critters. It doesn't serve OUR best interests. Just the opposite.

I agree with the rest of your sentiments, like stopping the young vs. old crap, but all age groups are not evenly affected, not even close:

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: MerkabaMeditation
More updates from the Coronavirus pandemic in Norway.

1) Norway starts releasing prisoners in an attempt to reduce the risk of contamination, so far 126 prisoners has been released.

Q: Is it a good idea to release convicted criminals back into the society now that we're already expecting to see a rise in crime & unlawfullness?

In particular I find this disturbing. What's the rationale here? In order to protect convicted criminals from risk of the virus running through a prison, they wanna release them and put the general public at risk to their crime?

Those priorities seem really backwards to me.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

I agree with the rest of your sentiments, like stopping the young vs. old crap, but all age groups are not evenly affected, not even close:

This is the breakdown by age of people in intensive care in Norway:

0-24 years: 2 patients
25-49: 9 patients
50-75: 18 patients
Over 75: 5 patients

Personally, I was really surprised by this as it contradicts everything I've heard - I'm pretty sure that these kinds of intensive care percentages for younger people where called "conspiracy noncense" when being discussed in forums just a couple of weeks ago.

The source is in the 2) link above.

-MM

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: MerkabaMeditation

originally posted by: face23785

This is the breakdown by age of people in intensive care in Norway:

0-24 years: 2 patients
25-49: 9 patients
50-75: 18 patients
Over 75: 5 patients

Personally, I was really surprised by this as it contradicts everything I've heard - I'm pretty sure that these kinds of numbers where even called "conspiracy noncense" when being discussed in forums just a counple of weeks ago.

The source is in the 2) link above.

-MM

Among individual countries, there will always be outliers. That's why they're encouraging everyone to take precautionary measures.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: JHumm
But the prison guards themselves are coming in from their homes, daily, quite apart from the illicit contacts.
Once the infection gets in, the cruise liner situation has been re-created.

edit on 20-3-2020 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

...but all age groups are not evenly affected, not even close:...

Interesting -- thank you.

I saw a chart yesterday, which I believe was world wide, had age groups broken down into 20 year gaps, and with the exception of the under 20 group, all other groups were around 20% +/- for hospitalizations, with the over-60 groups disproportionately higher for deaths. The chart I saw didn't distinguish between mere hospitalization and ICU either.

I also note that this chart is based upon estimates, and the one I was looking at was for actual cases.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

Is it a good idea to release convicted criminals back into the society now that we're already expecting to see a rise in crime & unlawfullness?

Depends on why they were in jail. Not every person convicted of a crime is a bad person.

True, the report did not mention the kind of crimes the released prisoners was convicted of, and I agree with you that they probably won't release the most hardened criminals first but rather those that were up for parole soon anyways.

-MM

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 02:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
a reply to: JHumm
But the prison guards themselves are coming in from their homes, daily, quite apart from the illicit contacts.
Once the infection gets in, the cruise liner situation has been re-created.

Norway has a lack of virus protective gear also, the prison guards will probably not get any until the hospital has gotten theirs first.

-MM

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join