It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proof that the COVID-19 Corona Virus is 20x Worse than the Common Flu? Please?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Italy did not have a schit healthcare system.
Their population has one of the longest lifespans in europe which is why they have so many older people to begin with.
Don't just throw out what you believe. Look into it first. This is pretty easy to research. You are already on the internet.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

It's obvious that those with pre-existing conditions of any kind were not going to be dying from them in the next month.
But with Coronavirus they might.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Our grocery store shelves are not empty.
Some things were hoarded last week but the paper goods were back in the shelves last night when the store in a busy city had already been opened for ten hours. Soooooo.

I am seeing higher pricing which bothers me because this is not the time to price gouge but except for a few things here and there there is plenty of food and other goods.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Not only that but the store was just average busy too. No large crowds.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan
It's 243 now.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Our grocery store shelves are not empty.
Some things were hoarded last week but the paper goods were back in the shelves last night when the store in a busy city had already been opened for ten hours. Soooooo.

I am seeing higher pricing which bothers me because this is not the time to price gouge but except for a few things here and there there is plenty of food and other goods.

If it’s at the grocery store higher prices are probably related to the higher costs of overnight shipping air/truck, paying overtime to meet demand, changing over production lines, and the cost of maintenance of running machinery at a higher output.

My favorite bread is no longer making the whole grain version of the white bread it produced. The company committed to making highly processed white bread to meet demand.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 11:57 AM
link   
INFOGRAPHIC: Global Comparison of Covid-19 to other Outbreaks: informationisbeautiful.net...

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Third worlders dying in the millions over the years by hunger and disease with the world hardly pausing.

300,000 first worlders get sick over 3 months, the world takes a crap.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust
The media is not doing what you are accusing them of.

Get your head out of the sand.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I'm okay with recovering additional costs but not an item that was five for five now being five for ten if you know what I mean.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

I’m definitely going to get it. We all are,’ N.J.’s top health official says as she leads the state’s coronavirus war

Updated 8:30 AM; Today 6:00 AM

“I’m definitely going to get it. We all are,” Persichilli says matter-of-factly. “I’m just waiting.”

It will probably be mild. She’ll feel sick for a few days, then hopefully get better, she says.

Then what’s the point of making people missing work, killing their income, and the massive quarantines like Italy?

I get the whole slow the rate of infection to stabilize the healthcare system. But how has the quarantine worked in Italy?

What in the USA is being done that will prevent what is happening in Italy?

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

I'm okay with recovering additional costs but not an item that was five for five now being five for ten if you know what I mean.

So? We just have your word for it? No real word examples?

Also. The cost to close stores and disinfect every night is not cheap either.

WALMART STORES NATIONWIDE ADJUST HOURS OF OPERATION FOR RESTOCKING AND SANITIZING
Walmart stores across the country will be adjusting their hours of operations in order to restock and sanitize stores.

www.fox61.com... 8-c150d74dd1bf

A person &itching because they cannot save a few pennies during pandemic while they just go to the store to get what they need sounds like a first world problem to me.

While....

Approximately 3.1 million children die from undernutrition each year (UNICEF, 2018a). Hunger and undernutrition contribute to more than half of global child deaths, as undernutrition can make children more vulnerable to illness and exacerbate disease (UNICEF, 2018a).

www.worldhunger.org...

edit on 21-3-2020 by neutronflux because: Added and fixed

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

My favorite first world problem I heard a radio announcer say.

“My family is so busy with after school activities we are sometimes too tire to eat when we get home.”

I know. Americans and their first world problems.
edit on 21-3-2020 by neutronflux because: Added and fixed

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ThinkingCap

About twenty percent of the population need urgent medical attention of will die. (this number increases with older populatoins. That is the same kill rate as the spanish flu that killed 50 000 000 people. (more peeps than the great war itself.
Nearly 800 died today in Italy today and it will likely be more the morrow.

If you recover then you have about a 25 percent chance of having permanet lung damage.

About 50 percent of cases on ICUs are under 50

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: sunkuong

exactly, the spanish flu was worse in September the second wave. We don't know enough yet to determine if it's nothing to worry about. Knowing people don't trust the news anymore and having a President back that up....wouldn't that be the greatest plan ever ?

www.cdc.gov...

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Corona vs The flu

Here is one article about it.

livescience article

These articles both discuss the mortality rate of both the flu and the corona virus.
The mortality rate for flu is about .1% or 1 in a thousand people who catch the flu

The mortality rate for the corona virus is somewhere between 1 and 2.3 percent or ten to twenty three people die per thousand people who get it.

Also the rate of transition of the flu is a little over 1. So for each person who catches it they spread it to a little over 1 more person.

For the corona virus each person that catches it spreads it to about 2.7 other people.

Hence the reason that my state has us in a voluntary quarantine

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThinkingCap
a reply to: Alien Abduct

Thanks, I haven't checked those websites. I'm trying to find enough information to prove to my family that this is deadlier than the flu virus.

www.worldometers.info...

Current mortality among closed cases: 12%

Even if that number settles, it will still land around 5-6%. Less deadly than sars but very much more contagious.

What makes covid-19 version so deadly is that:
- more infectious than the flu
- you infect without symptoms from day 1... meaning, day 2 you hug mom and dad, they get sick, you are still without symptoms... day 3; dad plays golf with two buddies, infects both, mom gets her hair cut, infects hairdresser. Day 4 none of them have symptoms yet..... but all infects atleast one more each. Day 5; in five days you just caused atleast 12 infections. Each of those persons prob have parents or grand parents
-

posted on Mar, 22 2020 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThinkingCap
Hi. I am at a loss here. Italy was hit the worst, it has about 60 million population and 3-5,000 deaths from this virus.

Can anyone explain to me with hard cold facts on why this virus should be taken more seriously than others? Because we are getting basketball players, actors, and common citizens who have been reporting their experiences to be no more than a 6 hour fever.

Proof of the COV019 virus being worthy of societal collapse and global lockdowns please & Thank you.

This is all way overblown, purposely, by the media. EVERYTHING Trump does in connection with this is bashed. He's even pushing through medications that have been PROVEN highly effective. Notice how some people who responded to your thread act as though that's nothing. It's EVERYTHING. They want Trump gone so badly they're willing to destroy the economy to do it.

For comparison, between September 2019 and Feb 2020, in the US ALONE, there were 19,000,000 cases of the flu. Hundreds of thousands hospitalized. 10,000 dead in that 4 month period. With this virus, in the 4 month period since late December, there are about 336,000 cases WORLDWIDE, 14,600 deaths. But the fact is that there are many, many more who have had this virus that never went to a doctor and never got tested, bring the actual death rate down significantly. Further, the highest death rates are in countries with poor medical staffing and facilities. Italy. China.

The fact is, African countries have a very, very low infection rate. Why? They are always taking one of the medications that is going to be used to fight this virus -- cholorquine. That's enough for me. None of this is worth bringing down a booming economy, unless there's another agenda behind it.

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 02:30 AM
link   
In order to compare the seasonal flu with the corona virus, one sort of has to go with the numbers provided for both, assuming they are at least somewhat accurate (otherwise what's the point in trying to compare if you think the numbers are worthless anyway). Here are some numbers and calculations that can be of assistance considering how dire the situation in Italy is and how one's own country's problems with corona could develop if they follow Italy's path:

If you want to compare the number of deaths in Italy with how things would be in the US if it gets to the same point of development of the infection, the 5,476 deaths in Italy translate to 327.2 (pop US) / 60.48 (pop Italy) * 5476 = 29625 deaths in the US (if the situation was comparable with where Italy is now). That's in little over a month.

The wikipedia page for the swine flu, a.k.a.the 2009 flu pandemic, has a table in which it lists the number of deaths estimated to be related to the 2019-2020 seasonal flu for the US to be 20 - 52,000. In the United States, the flu season is considered October through May. So that's been going on 6 months now, almost, let's say 5 cause I know the same number has been shown on that wikipage since the middle of March at least. So those 2 numbers, 29,625 and 20 - 52,000 are comparable were it not for the fact that the first number counts for just 1 month. It's likely to pass the high-end estimate of 52,000 in the next 2 months, hypothetically of course; cause none of this considers peaks and plateaus and such. But if I ever found some accurate flu stats for Italy for the 2019-2020 season, I would not be surprised if Corona deaths already exceed flu deaths for 2019-2020, but not by much yet. I would not go as far as saying Corona is 20 times worse though from this particular ballpark comparison. These calculations are just to get a bit of an idea how bad things are in Italy and how the flu would compare even if you don't have the same numbers for the 2019-2020 seasonal flu as I picked up from wikipedia above for the US (i.e. that was the only thing I had to go on, so that's what I'm working with for a comparison, at least to get a bit of an idea of the situation).

And of course, most countries, including the US, don't seem to be developing as severe a problem with corona as Italy. So a global comparison with the flu would look quite different (for example, the flu will likely remain a bigger problem for China and even South Korea than Corona, even in 3 or 4 months from now, because they have already plateaued).
edit on 23-3-2020 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 02:43 AM
link   
All I know is that 4 days ago Italy's death toll overtook Chinas. (Number of Covid-19 related deaths in total).

China has a much larger population and a much weaker infrastructure.

China had a heavy hand response early on and are now almost completely recovered.

Italy did nothing at first and was well behind China in total deaths when it first saw an uptick in hospitalizations.

IMO if we do nothing in the US and UK we face a significant situation more pronounced than Italy.

I have a 20 something relative in Europe that got it.

He needed treatment to breathe or he may have deteriorated and then who knows. He got it weeks ago and is still in ICU. He was healthy and robust but is struggling with this virus. We were scared at first because he got REALLY BAD and wasnt breathing. He was just drowning standing in front of our family unable to help him.

I think to the infants and elderly in my family over here and being turned away at a hospital should they get sick and what we can do if that happens.

Im grateful my asthmatic grandmother in Queens died last year. She would probably not survive this and would have suffered immensely both physically and from loneliness.

This is about to get really sad for us in NYC. Prayers are welcome.

My coworkers have elderly mothers or other close relatives with cancer or respiratory diseases, or both in one person's case. The guy is sleeping in his car for the foreseeable future so he doesn't inadvertently kill his mother.

Its already nuts at hospitals here. We are starting to see how Italy's early days played out but at a faster rate which is not good. At all.

edit on 23-3-2020 by HelloboysImbackguy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join