It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Covid19, will it cause a mass withdrawal for addicts?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I just thought of this, reading the california stay indoors thread. The thought popped into my head and after thinking about it, this could be a pretty big issue for some of the larger cities with large populations of homeless addicts.

I know everyone keeps saying "where will they go" because they are homeless. Well, obviously they would stay largely confined to their tent city/communities.

Once you shut just about everything down, you don't even have to tell people to stay home if there is nowhere to go.

So I was wondering, will this effect illegal drug supply lines and if so, just how bad will it be for some of these places when you have thousands of people "kicking the junk" all at the same time.

Could be a huge problem.

Note: I'm posting this not to discuss usage, which is against T&C, but pondering the reality of 1000's of addicts literally going crazy while most cities are probably strapped as it is and just trying to get through this thing. At best, I'd assume a massive increase in crime, at worst I'm guessing you will have a lot of police interactions with people that won't end well.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ZapBrannigan3030

The black market hasn't stopped running.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 11:02 PM
link   
That would explain why toilet paper is in short supply . Lol
edit on 19-3-2020 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-3-2020 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 11:02 PM
link   

The drugs will still be available, as far as I know this Cali thing is a curfew, allowing some movement.

As for the topic, I have thought about that myself, for sure some people are going to get straightened out for sure..hopefully some will carry it through.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I was thinking about this the other day!

They will be having a hard time if their supply chain fails

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Zombie Apocalypse

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 11:18 PM
link   
That is one business that will never close.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 11:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
I was thinking about this the other day!

They will be having a hard time if their supply chain fails

The suppliers don't care about laws and will get the drugs to the dealers.

The drug dealers will shelter in place as they already do in their cribs, the homeless users will still keep going to the drug dealer's home for their fix.

No interruption in the supply chain at all...

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 11:33 PM
link   

that is one of the last concerns on my list, right after feeding prisoners.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 11:48 PM
link   

I was thinking about that today. California Governor and President Trump had a talk about Carnival Cruise's offer to donate(?) the use of their empty ships, and I was thinking, that's one way to round up the homeless. What a nightmare that would be, for everyone involved!

They'd have to burn those ships when all is said and done!

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 11:49 PM
link   

In Michigan, the marijuana dispensary, liquor and party stores...all still open.

Schools, Auto factories, weddings, funerals, graduations....nope.

Yet......

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Blackmarkets either utilize or hide within legitimate business/trade/movements.

To think that shutting down an entire city, short of supermarkets, wouldn't effect that "supply chain" is unrealistic.

Which was my point. If that were the case, this would just be another crap fest that the local services will have to endure.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Unless they start physically forcing people to stay in their houses it won’t make much of a difference. When someone is addicted to opiates it’s just like having a second hunger.

And as sure as a starving person is going to do whatever they can to find some food a junkie will find his junk.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 12:00 AM
link   
So we were in a Shelter in Place since Tuesday int he Bay Area Counties. Its not even really a curfew rather non essential stuff is closed. Restaurants are open but take out only and if you have a hankering at 1 Am for tacos you can still go get your fix. Banks, auto repair, Home Depot etc are all open

So if junkies want their fix they can still score for now

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Your all junkies and in shackles to something. Whether it be internet, nicotine, caffeine, sugar or sex. Quit acting so high and mighty. You are no better than anybody else no matter how superior you may feel. God bless

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Since the government has the market cornered on trafficking drugs, guns, and humans...the addicts will still get their fix.

Why do you think the federal government cares so much about border control? They have make sure their product gets delivered and the competition is eliminated.

Think Mena...

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 02:07 AM
link   
a reply to: AquaAscending

Who was acting high and mighty?
I see genuine concern for addicts.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Here in massachusetts the pot stores, methadone clinics and suboxone clinic's are still open. The pot stores are just letting less then 10 people inside at a time while everyone else stands outside in the rain lol. I go to a methadone clinic (5 years now) cuz I picked up a horrible opiate habit but am clean now. We'll anyway according to the higher ups the methadone clinic won't shut down unless the state or feds tell them they have to. Believe me I was worrying about that but even if they did close they give everyone "take home" bottles for however long they would be closed.

But yeah the addicts on the street will be f'd especially if their dealers go dry. They already look like the walking dead here
If their supply is gone pants s**ting will be the norm for them...and no toilet paper to boot lol

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I've thought about this as well, but from a different perspective. Speaking from experience, opiate withdrawl is very much like having the flu, much much worse though. If patients aren't honest with doctors, it cause some confusion.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 05:58 AM
link   
This is gonna cure a lot of addicts whether they like/want it or not.

Here in Ireland/Europe its gonna be a total nightmare for addicts very soon.

Nothing coming out of China/Iran so no Heroin soon.

The price is going to triple.

Eventually there will be nothing left in the stock room and nothing can get into the country. Thats when people will have to get clean. All the heroin in Ireland comes from Afghanistan via a variety of routes and a lot of ports are closed.

Im an ex addict as ive said here before. I remember years when 9/11 happened and America went into Afghanistan. No heroin for about 3 months. Not one bit. Nowhere in Europe. (i went looking)

But this situation seems x10 worse, especially the restrictions on travel. If the supply cant travel it cant get here.

So i reckon in 4-6 months there will be a lot of clean living ex addicts.

In the words of Shaun Ryder, its great to be straight yeah...
edit on 20/3/20 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join