It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hospital asks public to sew CDC-compliant face masks for staff

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Those people are doing exactly what they need to in order to help protect themselves and those around them.

Not their fault our medical supply chain was found to be as strong as a wet noodle.

Quit blaming the public for being proactive. It's not their fault.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Looks like he's not wearing gloves?

Take mask off, touch face. DOH!

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouAreLiedTo

Those people are doing exactly what they need to in order to help protect themselves and those around them.

Not their fault our medical supply chain was found to be as strong as a wet noodle.

Hes not being proactive, he actually putting himself at greater risk because he is hopelessly inept at using it. And because he does not know what he is doing aside from hording N95's he is actually putting ME at risk because I can't get PPE.

Proper fit testing is essential.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT

Hes not being proactive, he actually putting himself at greater risk because he is hopelessly inept at using it. And because he does not know what he is doing aside from hording N95's he is actually putting ME at risk because I can't get PPE.

Proper fit testing is essential.

No... YOU are at risk because YOUR for-profit hospital keeps the lowest possible stock of supplies on hand because that would be stagnant inventory, which is the first thing any OM cost-cutting team gets rid of first.

YOU don't have a mask because of OUR medical system.

I get the same reaction when i wear my N95's in public that I bought in 2019... 2...0...1...9...

My mask isn't hurting your inventory numbers. Your boss is.

This wasn't a problem before it was a problem.

Blame our just-in-time economy.
edit on 20-3-2020 by YouAreLiedTo because: Spellings...

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

99.8% of microbes get stuck on the mask, even after a direct sneeze... Doesn't matter if he bare-hands it as long as he doesn't touch his face...

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 05:56 PM
link   

99.8% of microbes get stuck on the mask, even after a direct sneeze... Doesn't matter if he bare-hands it as long as he doesn't touch his face...

Point being, if he's not wearing gloves and touching everything he puts in his cart, including the cart itself, and whatever he touches at checkout, the mask isn't really going to help much.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Point being, if he's not wearing gloves and touching everything he puts in his cart, including the cart itself, and whatever he touches at checkout, the mask isn't really going to help much.

The virus doesn't absorb through your skin.

If anything, wearing a mask puts a physical medium on our face to remind us not to touch ourselves (giggity).

Even if the mask were 100% airborne ineffective (it's not, they work and it's proven), if it stopped you from touching your face, it's still doing its job.

By your logic we should stop wearing seatbelts because driving is dangerous (we should stop wearing a mask because shopping is dangerous).

Gloves get virus on them to. Touching is touching. The medium is irrelevant.
edit on 20-3-2020 by YouAreLiedTo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Good grief Sarge, we have to do another storage inventory?

prnt.sc...

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 06:16 PM
link   

You clearly did no tread the OP all the way through. He was annoyed at breathing through the mask which sitting in them for 4+ hours blows, and about every other inhale he would pull it down. So its basically a cosmetic prop if your going to do that. Also he had gaps around the side and nose clip hence more air leakage.

As noted no gloves and he touched his face repeatedly to move his mask

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 06:22 PM
link   

the 95 in N95 referees to the efficiency of the mask in this case 95% if he had a N100 or P100 then you could make a point but only if: 1) he has been properly fit tested and 2) he does not remove the mask to inhale which really defeats the whole point.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 06:22 PM
link   

You clearly did no tread the OP all the way through. He was annoyed at breathing through the mask which sitting in them for 4+ hours blows, and about every other inhale he would pull it down. So its basically a cosmetic prop if your going to do that. Also he had gaps around the side and nose clip hence more air leakage.

As noted no gloves and he touched his face repeatedly to move his mask

Again. I don't care if he's wearing it upside down. He's trying to help everyone around him.

You could have explained to him how to fit it proper. You have no idea if he has a 90yr old grandmother at home or a child with cancer and no immune system. He probably would have thought he met a capeless hero that day. Instead you're being a dick on the internet.

Congratulations. You felt better about yourself for 20 seconds.

No, you come on here to bash someone that apparently is one of the only people in that store that actually cares about the situation.

Get off your high horse... You just look like an asshole from down here.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 06:24 PM
link   

the 95 in N95 referees to the efficiency of the mask in this case 95% if he had a N100 or P100 then you could make a point but only if: 1) he has been properly fit tested and 2) he does not remove the mask to inhale which really defeats the whole point.

To your edit: N95 are rated from 0.1 to 0.3 micron (100nm).

Covid is 60-120nm.

Generic off the shelf N95 are rated to a size to block over half the virus particles (or more depending on dispersal of size).

Know your facts before you harass others.

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: YouAreLiedTo

Hmmm the view from my horse is quite nice. And since my personal feces are not odoriferous I feel good about myself like 24/7. But thanks for asking

Again. I don't care if he's wearing it upside down. He's trying to help everyone around him.

But hes NOT eh? lets me go slooooower if its a improper fit he will leak and if hes droping it to breath whats the point. Save it for people who know how to use it.

He probably would have thought he met a capeless hero that day. Instead you're being a dick on the internet.

We cannot have Capes. We would have to stow the capes for COVID transports. They are hard to clean and they drag through whatever posts you leave behind (the horror)....... And not to mention they drape over the backside of my high horse and well you get the picture I'm more of a flightsuit guy and a Nomex cape would be cost prohibitive

To your edit: N95 are rated from 0.1 to 0.3 micron (100nm).

Covid is 60-120nm.

Generic off the shelf N95 are rated to a size to block over half the virus particles (or more depending on dispersal of size).

The vast majority of airborne droplets etc are in the 100 micron range well withing the rating of the mask. To be fair Id rather wear a PAPR but those are in short supply and based on your ramblings no doubt you would make the case that this guy would be justified regardless

In 1995 the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health issued new regulations for nonpowered particulate respirators (42 CFR Part 84). A new filter certification system also was created. Among the new particulate respirators that have entered the market, the N95 respirator is the most commonly used in industrial and health care environments. The filtration efficiencies of unloaded N95 particulate respirators have been compared with those of dust/mist (DM) and dust/fume/mist (DFM) respirators certified under the former regulations (30 CFR Part 11). Through laboratory tests with NaCl certification aerosols and measurements with particle-size spectrometers, N95 respirators were found to have higher filtration efficiencies than DM and DFM respirators and noncertified surgical masks. N95 respirators made by different companies were found to have different filtration efficiencies for the most penetrating particle size (0.1 to 0.3 micron), but all were at least 95% efficient at that size for NaCl particles. Above the most penetrating particle size the filtration efficiency increases with size; it reaches approximately 99.5% or higher at about 0.75 micron. Tests with bacteria of size and shape similar to Mycobacterium tuberculosis also showed filtration efficiencies of 99.5% or higher. Experimental data were used to calculate the aerosol mass concentrations inside the respirator when worn in representative work environments. The penetrated mass fractions, in the absence of face leakage, ranged from 0.02% for large particle distributions to 1.8% for submicrometer-size welding fumes. Thus, N95 respirators provide excellent protection against airborne particles when there is a good face seal. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

You just look like an asshole from down here

You seem particularly defensive and went all Ad Hom on me........were you that A-hole in line next too me at Costco? I can give you a loner cape if you need one

edit on 3/20/20 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: YouAreLiedTo

The virus doesn't absorb through your skin.

I don't recall anyone saying it did. But mouth and nose, yes.

if it stopped you from touching your face, it's still doing its job.

Did it stop him from touching his face? Sounds like no.

By your logic we should stop wearing seatbelts because driving is dangerous (we should stop wearing a mask because shopping is dangerous).

That's an ignorant comparison. If he was so concerned he would wear gloves.

Gloves get virus on them to. Touching is touching. The medium is irrelevant.

Then why do medical professionals wear gloves? Additionally, gloves prevent the hands from being contaminated. Gloves come off, hands are relatively free from contamination.

It's not hard to understand. Stop being obtuse.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 01:31 AM
link   
interesting read on masks making using different materials and how to re-use an N95 but putting in oven 70c for 30 minutes.
Mask shortages Stanford Learnly Anesthesiologist
edit on 25-3-2020 by puzzled2 because: Fixed link

top topics

<< 1   >>

join