It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wash your hands, keep your distance, stick your head between your legs and ...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s
a reply to: chr0naut

You are right about medical equipment and dead-wrong about social distancing.

Well, has it worked?

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

I agree with you, we all do it all the time and its a very hard thing to do. But the fact remains if you can limit it and wash your hands as much as possible, you greatly reduce your risk of catching anything.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

It also becomes habit, and before you know it, you become a neurotic mess if you try too hard.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut
What the 'government' is suggesting is mostly futile.

It is yet another instance of the "duck and cover" advice from the government, so that they can appear to be 'proactive'. It also costs the government nothing to put the onus on the public, another 'washing of the hands'.

So, the real thing is to ensure that there are enough medical resources to support people through the symptoms, at least the first time through. After that, we will have the herd immunity to counter the virus when or if we encounter it again.

Thanks chr0naut, appreciate your reply. Yeah, I'm feeling like it is a duck and cover scenario like you said. I can't argue with your facts either. I guess our only hope is to actually slow the spread or flatten the curve...

But yeah, futile in the end I agree... I live in an apartment building. I heard 70% of canadians will get it eventually (sorry if that is wrong). I figure 7 apartments each side of the hallway will be infectious. Hard to avoid that.

But stay safe and thanks for the response.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 12:53 PM
link   

We'll see. It worked for some communities in 1918 and it is the current consensus among people who actually know what they are doing, as opposed to you and I. No offense intended. Be safe and ML.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1

Yeah, I think we got a few places in Canada like that too... lol

But seriously, yeah, hygiene has probably never been so important. or at least that is the feeling I am getting.

Thanks for the response, stay safe

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
a reply to: ByteChanger
I'm just skeptical it's as successful a strategy as everyone seems to think it is. Seems more of a hide under the desk during and atomic bomb type thing myself. More to make people feel better than truly stop anything.

Yeah, that is the way I am feeling right now. That "desk" won't help much.

Thanks for sharing! Be safe!

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Also, this doesn't really address the human cost in additional lost productivity, loss of income that goes largely un-monitored because the community is isolated even when they may not have to be so.

Washing hands and not touching your face does reduce the likelihood of getting an infection and may flatten the curve, what I am really concerned with is the idea of un-monitored isolation. It has so many drawbacks that overwhelm any advantages.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 01:14 PM
link   

We'll see. It worked for some communities in 1918 and it is the current consensus among people who actually know what they are doing, as opposed to you and I. No offense intended. Be safe and ML.

Many of those affected in that ill advised 1918 parade may have been more than the current 'government recommended' safe distance from someone who was infective. It isn't airbourne, but it can stay in the air in normal and expected conditions.

The natural human response to remove fluid from the lungs is to cough. It isn't something we have control over. It means that we will naturally aerosolize the pathogen as a result.

edit on 19/3/2020 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

I use a paper towel to shut off the Fawcett's, and open the door

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Also, this doesn't really address the human cost in additional lost productivity, loss of income that goes largely un-monitored because the community is isolated even when they may not have to be so.

Washing hands and not touching your face does reduce the likelihood of getting an infection and may flatten the curve, what I am really concerned with is the idea of un-monitored isolation. It has so many drawbacks that overwhelm any advantages.

As been stated over and over it's not about stopping the spread it's about spreading out how many get sick during a certain time frame so it doesn't overwhelm the hospital and medical systems. Yes, 80% or more is likely to get sick 20% of those will likely need hospitalization and 3-4 % of those will probably pass on. Numbers bare this out and it's been stated early on in this. Just can't take all 20% of those that will need hospitalization all at once.
edit on 19-3-2020 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

As been stated over and over it's not about stopping the spread it's about spreading out how many get sick during a certain time frame so it doesn't overwhelm the hospital and medical systems. Yes, 80% or more is likely to get sick 20% of those will likely need hospitalization and 3-4 % of those will probably pass on. Numbers bare this out and it's been stated early on in this. Just can't take all 20% of those that will need hospitalization all at once.

Look at the situation in Italy.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Look at the situation in South Korea or Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and France. The last 4 all around Italy yet their mortality rates are at least half of Italy. Germany's is extremely low at 0.3% with over 15000 known cases. Now either something is fudging the numbers or some countries are using different or more effective protocols. Italy got slammed with too many cases needing hospitalization at once and/or people going to hospitals with minor symptoms.

edit on 19-3-2020 by putnam6 because: additions

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ByteChanger

Can not follow the topic post have no TP so I'm not kissing anything goodby.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join