It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

The Absolute Power of Christianity!

page: 85
7
<< 82  83  84    86  87  88 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   
This is why our society is the way it is. People cannot let others think freely. Christians try to get non-christians to become christian, stereotyping religions cause conflict, brainwashing a child takes away the beauty of having an open mind, scaring us into believing a certain way divides us, etc. All religions throughout the world have evil tendencies. You see this throughout history. And if you think that Christianity hasn't done anything, what about The Crusades. They killed people who weren't part of their faith and made the people they didn't kill to convert.

Someone's faith should be private and respected by everyone. Plus Judaism was first. Christianity branched off, and was able to convince/threaten people to convert.

I lived in the South for the last couple of years and the fanatics would do anything possible to get you to convert. Well Jesus was Jewish, too. I don't care! I was born into a religion and I have a right to believe whatever I want. If people choose not to like me for my religious beliefs, or lack there of, so be it. It is not worth fighting over, arguing over, losing sleep over, etc.




posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   

How are you paying for them?


I pay taxes and they don't. Therefore in the old "round about" way I am helping promote this institution. The money would be better spent feeding the poor doesn't one think?



posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by madmanacrosswater

How are you paying for them?


I pay taxes and they don't. Therefore in the old "round about" way I am helping promote this institution. The money would be better spent feeding the poor doesn't one think?


I guess I don't consider that you are paying for them when none of your money is being used to pay for them. Personally, I do not view funds as belonging first to the government and secondarily to those who have collected them.

Whether or not the money would be better off feeding the poor is irrelevant. Couldn't the same be said of any money anyone spends on any activity other than feeding the poor?

We all decide what our priorities are, and none of us, including churches, have charity as the only priority.



posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
why can't we charge mega-churches taxes? because they're tax shelters for those exploiting the weak minded people for their own personal gain. these people give large contributions to a certain political party, and then they don't get investigated for embezzlement.

is this the absolute power you speak of, corruption?



posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by spamandham
You can't prove leprechauns don't exist.


I already have. Oh! You mean prove it to you? Not my job, sorry. If you wanna discuss how you can know if God exists, I'd be glad to help walk with you to Him though.



posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by phlantz
People cannot let others think freely.

All religions throughout the world have evil tendencies.


There's an oxymoron if ever I saw one...


Originally posted by phlantz
You see this throughout history. And if you think that Christianity hasn't done anything, what about The Crusades. They killed people who weren't part of their faith and made the people they didn't kill to convert.


Check the Book. Is what they did according to the Book? No? Then guess what



Originally posted by phlantz
Someone's faith should be private and respected by everyone.


Why should it be private?


Originally posted by phlantz
I was born into a religion and I have a right to believe whatever I want.


Certainly.


Originally posted by phlantz
If people choose not to like me for my religious beliefs, or lack there of, so be it. It is not worth fighting over, arguing over, losing sleep over, etc.


Totally agree.



posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
why can't we charge mega-churches taxes? because they're tax shelters for those exploiting the weak minded people for their own personal gain. these people give large contributions to a certain political party, and then they don't get investigated for embezzlement.

is this the absolute power you speak of, corruption?


Wow, you sure do know a lot...about not paying attention to the government, the IRS, and OCC Regulatory crimes.


www.irs.gov...

www.occ.treas.gov...

Try paying a lump sum for yearly rent without filling taxes on it.

[edit on 20-12-2005 by saint4God]



posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
One day a man said, those awful Jews, why don't we just get rid of them, after all it's got to be there fault, right? They prosper and they have things and we don't. Let's kill'em all! It is this kind of madness that those who can't stand the thought of God that brings evil into the world. And it's true of those that do so in the name of God as well so I don't excuse anyone. This is why it is important to actually read the Bible so that we don't keep doing the same evils over and over. Why is it that we Christians have to listen to all the filth that others spew out daily and have to sit back while others blaspheme our God in Heaven or or Lord and Savior. Why should we? What gives you the right to tell me that you get to say what you wish but I have to be silent? What gives you the right to say who you want to vote for but we cannot? You're all so afraid of my God that you feel the need to silence Him and us because you can't stand it. Kill all the Jews! Get those Christians! Is'nt amazing to all how you unbelieving God hating, anti-Christian people feel the need to fight God all the time? Let's lay heavy taxes on them! Why? who do you think takes care of the poor, the government? Why don't you ask those that freely give why they do it?
But I do have good news for the Godhaters, so here this. You will get the chance to do all those evil desires against us Christians when Antichrist comes fully to power. But I still warn you that in the end you will fail when the Christ you can't stand comes back to the Earth to rule it. Madnessinmysoul again gave the quote about the infinate stupidity of man. So again I can't stress this enough. I leave that saying to you to consider so that I don't again have to be accused of calling any stupid.

Fromabove



posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Saint4God, I would like to enquire something. When do you believe it's right to just stand up for God? All the well meaning and loving consideration that you give these people are good but, don't you think that when they not only don't care about what it is you say but then go on to say "There is no God" or "The word of God is a lie" that you need to stand up against speech with the truth. Spamandham was not having a dialogue about religion and science or he wouldn't feel the need to cast it to the ground the way he does. True dialogue can have differences yet allow for a respect for each others ideals. When someone kicks you in the noogies, he's not trying to share his love with you, he's hating you and doing damage to you. Neither Spamandham or Madnessinmysoul can offer a counter arguement as to how the universe came to be or how it is that atoms floating around in a mish-mosh of universal soup somehow gained intelligence and said, let us becaome a thing that lives and thinks. A discussion on thiese things would end up supporting us not them. But I'm sorry, somehow I can't just sit here and allow such speech go unchecked without standing up for my God who lives and is above all. You know I don't want to offend but that's what it ends up as when you have to resist evil in the world, they are offended. Now watch the next things they say and you'll understand what I mean. And don't forget the excuse they give as to who created God. They think they are free and clear because they say they don't know where God came from. I ask them;

Who created the universe ?

Frmabove



posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Fromabove, foolish and blind as Spamandham's comments may be, there are several people who hold this circular argument to maintain there is no God and no moral absloutes because the culture has taught them that to say there are moral absloutes is hateful because it tells some people that they're wrong and shouldn't be doing something. In order to justify that perspective, you have to believe there is no God and ignore any contradictions that may arise as a result.

However, I am sure there are those here who are reading through this thread who are on the fence on the issue. Spamandham, while not looking for answers himself, nor willing to be challenged or learn something new, raises questions that the people who are on the fence may want answered. Saint, therefore, takes the time not because he thinks spamandham will be convinced of the Truth (though it could happen), but because of the silent majority reading the thread.



posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
Saint4God, I would like to enquire something. When do you believe it's right to just stand up for God?


Always.


Originally posted by Fromabove
All the well meaning and loving consideration that you give these people are good but, don't you think that when they not only don't care about what it is you say but then go on to say "There is no God" or "The word of God is a lie" that you need to stand up against speech with the truth.


I don't know what good comes from calling an ideology "stupid" so I don't do that.


Originally posted by Fromabove
Spamandham was not having a dialogue about religion and science or he wouldn't feel the need to cast it to the ground the way he does. True dialogue can have differences yet allow for a respect for each others ideals.


I'm a big advocate of respect and try to work within the guildlines thereof.


Originally posted by Fromabove
When someone kicks you in the noogies,


Turn to him your other noogie.


Originally posted by Fromabove
he's not trying to share his love with you, he's hating you and doing damage to you.


*pats head, neck, torso and legs* I feel no damage. Do you?


Originally posted by Fromabove
Neither Spamandham or Madnessinmysoul can offer a counter arguement as to how the universe came to be or how it is that atoms floating around in a mish-mosh of universal soup somehow gained intelligence and said, let us becaome a thing that lives and thinks. A discussion on thiese things would end up supporting us not them. But I'm sorry, somehow I can't just sit here and allow such speech go unchecked without standing up for my God who lives and is above all.


I understand, and think I'd made my point previously, which is why I didn't say anything this time around.


Originally posted by Fromabove
You know I don't want to offend but that's what it ends up as when you have to resist evil in the world, they are offended.


Each of us has to carefully analyse what to stand up for and what things we realize will have no impact. Spamandham and I don't talk that much. I think we've both said our peace to each other on this thread, though I'm sure he'll have more to say to me and I to him in the future. No sense in re-hashing the same arguments when there are no gains. I'd rather discuss with someone (like you) who would like engage in a true exchange where both people can benefit.


Originally posted by Fromabove
Now watch the next things they say and you'll understand what I mean. And don't forget the excuse they give as to who created God. They think they are free and clear because they say they don't know where God came from. I ask them;

Who created the universe ?

Frmabove


I'll be right here.



posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
is this the absolute power you speak of, corruption?




You really do like taking things out of context and then calling people to task for the new meaning you've applied to the phrase, don't you? This is what, the fourth time you've used the subject of this thread out of context in this thread and the third time I've pointed it out to you? Or has it been more?



posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
Fromabove, foolish and blind as Spamandham's comments may be...


Not you too JJ
. Despite our opinions of other's comments, I think they're valid concerns. I believe they're concerns with answers, but to say he hasn't thought about them is a little unfair. You and I both know how spamandham came to think the way he does:



For me, the stages were:

1) raised a christian - without question
2) ignored it for a while so I could have sex without much guilt
3) returned back to it
4) fundie stage
5 ) Cocky evangelical stage
6) Eureka effect that fundie stage was a bunch of crap
7) Instantaneous deconversion following (6)
8) Mourning
9) Acceptance that I am an atheist
spamandham, 09.30.2004, 12:30am


This isn't the path of someone who is a fool, or someone blind, rather someone who is hurt and upset. Whether he'll admit that or not, read carefully how it was written and it should be clear. What I want to know is what happened in step 6?

I think you're on-target with the rest of that post though JJ.


[edit on 20-12-2005 by saint4God]



posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
It would really depend on which definition I meant when I said foolish. Granted, I was using the Biblical definition (one who refuses to believe in God) of foolish, not the traditional "idiot" definition. I, too, was a fool and blind for many years until God opened my eyes. At that point, I could remain foolish but aware, in which case I would be, in my opinion, an idiot, or I could accept. Being both foolish and blind is not derogatory. It would be like saying you and I are ignorant of the ultraviolet patterns on flowers. We're blind to that light wave, so we "foolishly" don't recognize the patterns. On the other hand, someone who can see the patterns, but says thy're not there would be self delusional.

In all honesty, I probably could have chosen better terms



posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
One day a man said, those awful Jews, why don't we just get rid of them, after all it's got to be there fault, right? They prosper and they have things and we don't. Let's kill'em all! It is this kind of madness that those who can't stand the thought of God that brings evil into the world.


The man you are referring to was a Christian.


Originally posted by Fromabove
Why is it that we Christians have to listen to all the filth that others spew out daily and have to sit back while others blaspheme our God in Heaven or or Lord and Savior.


You don't have to. Go lock yourself up in your Bible study. We'd all benefit from that.


Originally posted by Fromabove
You're all so afraid of my God that you feel the need to silence Him and us because you can't stand it.


LMAO! Yah, fear, that's it. I'm afraid of Santa and the Easter bunny too. You're here in public embarassing yourself by yelling about how you're being silenced.

Yep, I see you being censored left and right. If I were to call you a stupid fool as you have referred to others, I'd probably at least get a warning.


Originally posted by Fromabove
Kill all the Jews! Get those Christians! Is'nt amazing to all how you unbelieving God hating, anti-Christian people feel the need to fight God all the time?


The only amazing thing is your penchant for rediculously obscene straw men. If I were a mod you be banned for this comment.


Originally posted by Fromabove
But I do have good news for the Godhaters, so here this. You will get the chance to do all those evil desires against us Christians when Antichrist comes fully to power.


According to Tim LeHaye's latest Gospel, Jesus is going to vivisect me and my family. Can't you just feel the love? You're one of the most hate filled a**holes I've come across online.


Originally posted by Fromabove
I leave ...


Good riddance.



posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by spamandham
The man you are referring to was a Christian.


And I'm a liberal Democrat athiest from Thebes who has 17 fingers, 14 toes, 3 heads, 47 eyes, and a cape that naturally grows from my nose.

Hey, if I say it is true, it must be, right?



posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   
SAINT4GOD.....
ok as far as the crusades go ......they definetly fit the book...look at the old testament for example...god instructs the hebrews to go to cities and destroy them because they whorship other gods............this was in the name of religion.....
the crusades were faught for the holy lands this was also in the name of religion..........



posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by plague
SAINT4GOD.....
ok as far as the crusades go ......they definetly fit the book...look at the old testament for example...god instructs the hebrews to go to cities and destroy them because they whorship other gods............this was in the name of religion.....
the crusades were faught for the holy lands this was also in the name of religion..........


There is a difference, though. The Jews were a people God told to stay separate from the rest of the world. They were given a land by God, Israel, and were told to eradicate everyone in the land or their customs would corrupt this people who were to remain separate. They didn't and as a result Israel didn't stay Israel. The Jews are still called to be separate, because there is another plan for them, another final role God has in store for His chosen people.

However, when Christ came to the Earth, He reversed that order. We are to love our fellow man is the second most important thing to do aside from loving God. As such, we should want to bring our fellow man to God, to Paradise, because we do love them. If you continue to turn the other cheek and talk with people, there's a chance they will come to know the Truth and get to heaven. If you just kill them because they don't believe as you do, they'll never have the chance to come to know Christ. The New Testament, our new covenant with God, calls for us to turn the other cheek, not to kill those who don't believe. It calls for us to minister to those who do not believe, not kill them. The crusades, like this krump using religion to further union agendas, was just a manipulation of religion for political purposes.


[edit on 12/20/05/20 by junglejake]



posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
jj, you just said that its okay for god to order genocide...

oh wait, its just those filthy pagans that are different... yeah, nevermind.
oh wait, pagans are people too!
why would a loving god have anyone killed in the name of isolating people?
couldn't god just send them somewhere uninhabitated and make it fertile?
why resort to genocide?



posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Thanks for that pickup JJ, I owe you one
. Candidly the wars of the Old Testament are one of the toughest topics to comprehend. From what it seems to me was there was a law of the land those days that was very tribal, not just in Israel, but all over the world. Israel was on the verge of extinction a few times because of their turning from God not once, but many times, yet they were the last hope, the last ones who had favor with God. This is only my assessment.

Final thought: How many people did God give life to?

madnessinmysoul, I've continually answered your questions on this and other threads, without acknowledgement or deeper consideration of any points I've made. It sounds to me like a round-robin firing of thebiblesucks.com, when after getting one answer, you move on to a completely unrelated accusatory question. Unless you actually care, I there's no way I can help.

[edit on 20-12-2005 by saint4God]



new topics

top topics



 
7
<< 82  83  84    86  87  88 >>

log in

join