It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Absolute Power of Christianity!

page: 60
<< 57  58  59    61  62  63 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Hmmmmmm........so what have we learned so far?

The power of Christianity is Absolute........hmmmm........ok, Ill buy it. Since Absolute power corrupts absolutely, I feel its a very accurate way to describe the Christian religion and its influence. It corrupts and perverts just about everything it touches, for healthy human morality to common sense, reason, and progress.

Is this the point you folks were trying to make then?

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

The power of Christianity is Absolute........hmmmm........ok, Ill buy it. Since Absolute power corrupts absolutely, I feel its a very accurate way to describe the Christian religion and its influence. It corrupts and perverts just about everything it touches, for healthy human morality to common sense, reason, and progress.

Would a Pagan Wiccan think any other way?

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by shaunybaby
sure you might say you don't attribute your experiences with god, that led you to your own personal proofs, so what did lead this 'skeptic' to god?

And a complicated one I think too. I'd been pretty down about the futility of it all for a long time (about a year). At the challenging point, I was angry that if there was any supernatural form, that it was messing with me since I had no evidence of its existence. It was all very confusing B.C.

By the term skeptic, I mean someone who heavily doubts and critically analyses, but not so far as ignoring the truth when proven. For the longest time, I had no idea what God would want with a skeptic, but I'm starting to understand now.

[edit on 27-9-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by madmanacrosswater
Gee Saint, I thought I was the only true skeptic. Got that way because of what our gov't propagandized during Vietnam.

Oooh, ouch. Sorry to hear that my friend.

Originally posted by madmanacrosswater
More need to be skeptical of what's told. Such as the Iraq mess we're in. People should have been paying attention to what was told them. "Iraq has the capability of hitting us in 40 minutes." the man said. However, they had no delivery system capable of over 500 miles!!!!!

Politics is a tricky thing for me to take a stance on. I'm for life, for all, but know that I don't know as much as others (including world leaders). Fortunately for me, "my kingdom is not of this earth".

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by gps777

Would a Pagan Wiccan think any other way?

Actually, they would and do. I know a number of friends of mine, very pagan, who are extremely tolerant of Christianity, and will even defend it, for some strange reason, in debates I have with them. As a matter of fact, tolerance is something I find quite lacking in Christianity, whose adherants believe that everyone who isnt worshipping thier god thier way is serving Satan and the forces of darkness. While I have known pagan friends who did not mind when Christian family members, who were visiting, wanted to pray, read their bible, ect. However, every Christian I have ever known would forbid a Wiccan, Hindu, or Asatru from performing their rites, and would hassle and heckle them for their beliefs. Tolerance of other faiths does not seem to be a Christian virtue in most case. It is very rare, in fact, that I find any so called Christians behaving in the manner of any of the tenets of their faith. Like charity and compassion, for example. The majority are more concerned with forcing their unwanted values down unwilling recipients throats.

I speak from experience, having been raised Christian and having a heavily Christian family.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Actually, they would and do. I know a number of friends of mine, very pagan, who are extremely tolerant of Christianity,

I have face-to-face wiccan friends (among other faiths). We are friends so I guess we're both extremely tolerant.

and will even defend it, for some strange reason, in debates I have with them.

Now that I've never run into. Us muggles are misguided folk
. We say the same thing about each other, so at least we're consistent. Still, we're friends.

As a matter of fact, tolerance is something I find quite lacking in Christianity, whose adherants believe that everyone who isnt worshipping thier god thier way is serving Satan and the forces of darkness. While I have known pagan friends who did not mind when Christian family members, who were visiting, wanted to pray, read their bible, ect. However, every Christian I have ever known would forbid a Wiccan, Hindu, or Asatru from performing their rites, and would hassle and heckle them for their beliefs.

Well I guess you'll have to get to know me then. Feel free to U2U if you like.

Tolerance of other faiths does not seem to be a Christian virtue in most case. It is very rare, in fact, that I find any so called Christians behaving in the manner of any of the tenets of their faith. Like charity and compassion, for example.

I've got quite a list to share if you like, but a lot of people consider that "Christian bragging" and would rather not. The principle is to give without seeking recognition.

The majority are more concerned with forcing their unwanted values down unwilling recipients throats.

The majority is silent. The minority, the loud ones, are a lot of the time what we hear.

I speak from experience, having been raised Christian and having a heavily Christian family.

I hope in that case you've found some loving, compassionate people within them to break the stereotype.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   
you are absoluetly right in this. everyone should be asking these questions. but, most people dont. they just believe in what is told to them or what they have been given. its my belief that the right and true spiritual person will seek out his means and true information. in this world true information is really hard to come by. every religion thinks its the true religion, but let me tell you all this, being the years of studying all these religions none have more man made rules and regulations, books written by men and dominated by the male interest in control than christiantiy, caltholics, and islam. where is the true peace in these so called religions. where is the unity in these religions. its all about the control of what they want you to know and think and even more about money now days as in the dark ages.
I believe your true path will lead you away from man made religions and start you on a real path of true knowledge of what to stay away from. there is not one written episode in the holy bible that I have found true original that isnt taken from some other religion, caste, or culture and infused by the new bible. Jesus was just a man, if he really existed at all! his decendants are living today. there are cultures out there that believe in a real true peaceful god or gods or live by the earth that we live on.

true religion is not control or manipulation or what is written by some crazy people that believe they know gods words. believe in what you feel is right truely spiritually and cast the religion out. you dont need rules or laws in real spirituallity. you will see the truth that has always been there.

many things have been cast as evil by the "christians and catholics" or others in several millenia. dont always take that to heart. its a way to tell you or control. words, symbols, and thoughts of long past that were of peace and prosperity and truely spiritual have been deemed evil or pagan. its time to wake up sleepy sheep.

there is a lot of real proof if you just look. of course a lot of proof in our ancient history has been destroyed by the wars and burnings in the last couple of thousand years..... guess you cant guess who started that.

people are going to quote you all kinds of scripture or written proverbs or whatever... just remember this where does that scripture truley come from and who really wrote it?

there are so many questions and not enough answers in many things, mabye we were not meant for it yet or maybe we just dont see it. who knows. all I know is no one will tell me what to do or what to think. I believe in true peaceful tolerance of anybody and strict removal of the bad gene pool. maybe we will learn something of this to take to next age of humanity. hopefully it will much different in that time.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Not exactly, rather the original point was that the culture seems to hold this belief in their relentless attack of anything Christian being on public property. That was what the original post was about, kind of describing the irony of the statement. If having a cross as a memorial forces people to become Christian, then yes, Christianity has more power than anything on this planet where a mere symbol changes the mass's minds with no message behind it.

In reality, Christianity does have the ultimate power, but not one that can corrupt. Christianity has the power to redeem and to save. Unfortunately, there are those who corrupt the message and use other's faith for their own selfish gains. What's even less fortunate it that the media and culture has focused on these few individuals and tried to establish them in the minds of the masses as the norm. The true power of Christianity does not corrupt because it is incorruptible. It is grace, mercy, and love. It is walking with God in fellowship, as friends. It is not manipulative, it is truthful. It is not corrupting, it is revealing. It is not hostile, it is compassionate.

Sadly, most of us, myself included, have not walked closely enough with God to experience the true power of Christianity fully. Too often our pride causes us to focus on ourselves and are supposed wishes and "needs" while ignoring God's, often ignoring the fact that the one who created us knows us better than we know ourselves. I am to be compassionate, yet I find myself giving in to hostility at times. I'm to be truthful, yet I find myself manipulating at times. I am called to be revealed, exposing my weakness to the light, yet I often try to hide that weakness allowing my pride to corrupt me. Yet this is our calling as humanity, recognize it or not.

Where this conversation is today, however, is a fantastic piece of evidence for the theory of evolution
It has evolved remarkably over time.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Actually, they would and do. I know a number of friends of mine, very pagan, who are extremely tolerant of Christianity

Why does that surprise you ? Wiccans are suppose to be big in tolerance... they porbably rank in secong right after Buddhists.

As a matter of fact, tolerance is something I find quite lacking in Christianity, whose adherants believe that everyone who isnt worshipping thier god thier way is serving Satan and the forces of darkness. While I have known pagan friends who did not mind when Christian family members, who were visiting, wanted to pray, read their bible, ect. However, every Christian I have ever known would forbid a Wiccan, Hindu, or Asatru from performing their rites, and would hassle and heckle them for their beliefs. Tolerance of other faiths does not seem to be a Christian virtue in most case. It is very rare, in fact, that I find any so called Christians behaving in the manner of any of the tenets of their faith. Like charity and compassion, for example. The majority are more concerned with forcing their unwanted values down unwilling recipients throats.

So sad but true. This behavior is most seen in Christian Cults that teach Once Saved Always Saved. This teaching is very dangerous, once sooner or later makes people cpmpalcent, arrogant and lazy towards those who are suppose to be brothers and sisters. All becasue they beleiv they are guaranteed Heaven no metter what they do.

Poor Jesus... I dont think this mess is what he had in mind... nevertheless it is what the Bible said it would happen.

they dont happen to be OSAS (once saved always saved) do they ?

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   

In reality, Christianity does have the ultimate power, but not one that can corrupt.

On this point I vehemently disagree. Perhaps you also need to take into the clowns on TV that describe themselves as "Christian" and then blame various groups for the problems of man.

I have nothing against true believers of Jesus and true followers of such. However, "Christianity" does have the power and does corrupt. That is the problem with being related to any religion and not really taking into account one's own relationship with GOD.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Read deeper into the post, I qualified that statement in such a way that would mark the manipulative or out for a buck evangelists as corruptable. I'm talking true, Enoch style Christianity of walking in step with God. As of today, I don't believe there are many Christians along those lines, but a movement has begun to get there. As I said in my post, I, too, do not qualify as one of those Christians, I have too much self focus detracting me from my God-focus. Misusing the tools He gives us is corrupting, but that only happens when you start to drift away from walking closely with God.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
Enoch style Christianity

Can you explain what this means JJ? I'd not heard the term before.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

Enoch style Christianity

Can you explain what this means JJ? I'd not heard the term before.

I actually just made it up

Enoch was taken up to heaven without ever having tasted death because he walked so closely in line with God. This is evidence that, though we do sin, we don't have to. As long as we follow the Holy Spirit, which Enoch didn't even have as Christ has given us, and listen to Him and allow Him to direct our lives, we can live in the Lord's glory. In doing so, and walking in step with God, we would not be corruptible unless we started to move away from Him.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I actually just made it up

Oh, thought there was a denomination I hadn't heard of...or at least a fashion trend I'd missed

Enoch was taken up to heaven without ever having tasted death because he walked so closely in line with God. This is evidence that, though we do sin, we don't have to. As long as we follow the Holy Spirit, which Enoch didn't even have as Christ has given us, and listen to Him and allow Him to direct our lives, we can live in the Lord's glory. In doing so, and walking in step with God, we would not be corruptible unless we started to move away from Him.

Okie dokie, I thought that's what you meant. Sorry to interrupt, now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Rock, rock on!
God bless.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   

For the longest time, I had no idea what God would want with a skeptic, but I'm starting to understand now.

Maybe some of us just aren't meant to understand religion. I understand it, but my concept of it is that it's just people, who lived in a time nothing like the 21st century, trying to explain their existence. There's just so much 'not evidence' 'not proof' but just in general 'questions' that cannot be answered, which is why you call it faith. For example, why are there other planetary systems, why is the universe still expanding, hence why did god make other planets with no life, or have the need to make the universe expand. The reason science says the universe expands leads them to the conclusion that there must have been some sort of force/energy that initially started the expansion, whereas religious people just say 'not sure, god must have wanted it that way'.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Maybe some of us just aren't meant to understand religion. I understand it, but my concept of it is that it's just people, who lived in a time nothing like the 21st century, trying to explain their existence.

There's a lot God is doing right now. A ton of things that can and do happen that are quite miraculous today.

There's just so much 'not evidence' 'not proof' but just in general 'questions' that cannot be answered, which is why you call it faith. For example, why are there other planetary systems, why is the universe still expanding, hence why did god make other planets with no life, or have the need to make the universe expand. The reason science says the universe expands leads them to the conclusion that there must have been some sort of force/energy that initially started the expansion, whereas religious people just say 'not sure, god must have wanted it that way'.

I don't know why Christians are considered to slap down an easy answer. My guess is that they have no interest in studying science, else it
d be a bit more complex of a response. I took 5 years of university Biology (genetics concentration) trying to figure out even a small part of how. It answered a lot of questions, but think it takes a true scientist (Christian or non) to say "I don't know, let's see if we can find out". Admittedly, I'd given up the science career-path to pursue a full-time opportunity at an excellent corporation. Do I miss it? Nah, my company has a nice set of values...which I've come to know is what I really wanted out of work anyway.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   

There's a lot God is doing right now. A ton of things that can and do happen that are quite miraculous today.

i thought you told me that you didn't attribute things to god, such as experiences, which in turn could be 'miracles' hence an 'experience' yet you now attribute god to these so-called miracles... all this talk of miracles...shame i haven't seen any.

I don't know why Christians are considered to slap down an easy answer.

because if a person uses 'because i said so' as their arguement, then it doesn't equate to a sufficient answer.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   

i thought you told me that you didn't attribute things to god, such as experiences, which in turn could be 'miracles' hence an 'experience' yet you now attribute god to these so-called miracles... all this talk of miracles...shame i haven't seen any.

I didn't prior to, no. Now if I get enough verification (still a skeptic at heart) then I'm persuaded. In other words, I tried to attribute to the numbers (probabilities) and human explanations first. In some instances the numbers get beyond credibility and human explanation fail the test of reason. Just because miracles happen too, does not mean the 'why' of those happenings go unexplained as well. It is something hard to describe so any sisters/brothers who wanna assist with this one are welcome to help out.

You'd mentioned not seeing any, I'll work on this. Please let me know when it happens. Also, they may be happening but hard to see. There were some happenings I thought were 'normal' at the time, then later found out they weren't normal at all.

because if a person uses 'because i said so' as their arguement, then it doesn't equate to a sufficient answer.

I can agree with that.

I think God has reasons for doing things. It's fun to talk about the 'whys' comparatively to what we do know of Him. It sounds to me like an "I don't want to argue" response and/or "don't really care about that" type of thing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   

You'd mentioned not seeing any, I'll work on this. Please let me know when it happens. Also, they may be happening but hard to see. There were some happenings I thought were 'normal' at the time, then later found out they weren't normal at all.

there's a program in england that i can't quite remember the title of, but it's basically a guy, a studio, an audience and he tells certain people he's contacted their dead relative or relatives. now i consider myself very much so a skeptic. i do not believe he is 'really' doing this, just as much as i don't believe david copperfield 'really' walked through the great wall of china. to someone who takes everything as face value and is too trustworthy, would think that this person is really contacting the dead. is this a miracle? it's not proven...it's just a tv show.

i'll let you know when i see a miracle i can't explain.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 07:32 AM
link   

there's a program in england that i can't quite remember the title of, but it's basically a guy, a studio, an audience and he tells certain people he's contacted their dead relative or relatives.

Yeah, that aired in the U.S. for a short time...called Contact from Beyond or something.

now i consider myself very much so a skeptic. i do not believe he is 'really' doing this,

I'm not convinced either.

just as much as i don't believe david copperfield 'really' walked through the great wall of china.

I think he had stated he was an illusionist. I remeber reading about how he made the statue of liberty disappear 'cause I was a magic fan as a kid. After reading it though, I wish I hadn't because he already said he's an illusionist, and trick seemed just too simple.

to someone who takes everything as face value and is too trustworthy, would think that this person is really contacting the dead. is this a miracle? it's not proven...it's just a tv show.

I would question their motivation. The fact that they're on TV usually answers that question.

What's my motivation? I received a free gift, so I want to share it. I'm not here representing any organization or church. I don't want anyone's money. In fact, I'm willing to spend some to send a Book or anything else that may help. It's the greatest gift I have ever been given shaunybaby, and hope that you come to receive it too.

Also, feel free to U2U me anytime.

i'll let you know when i see a miracle i can't explain.

Cool, thanks
. I'll call for back-up.

May love, faith, and hope be with you always,
God bless.

new topics

top topics

<< 57  58  59    61  62  63 >>

join