It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Absolute Power of Christianity!

page: 33
<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I apologize for not jumping into one of the current debates, but I thought I would put my own thoughts and opinions out on this topic..

Well, I for one believe that the vast majority of the people on this earth are ignorant. I'll say it now. They (I refer to them as they, since I believe anyone with the cojones to post on a board like this is one who makes up their own mind) go about their lives, doing what they are told, never thinking for themselves. You could almost consider them to be sheep, moving as a herd. I think then one day, someone was surprisingly astute and made a bid for power. "I will create a church, and through this church I will control the masses." is something that they might have said to themselves.

Let us think about it. Is Christianity a religion based on fear? I do believe so, and here is why. You MUST believe in Jesus as the Messiah, or you WILL burn in hell for all eternity. If you do believe, you will be rewarded with everlasting life, happiness, and the presence of a caring and loving God. In other words, Ghandi will burn in hell despite being one of the greatest people who ever lived simply because he didn't believe in Jesus. Meanwhile, Hitler will ascend to heaven because he accepted Christ as his savior.

The fear of the unknown is probably the greatest fear of all human beings alike, and Christianity plays on this fear for control. It tells you that if you accept Jesus, all will be well and you have nothing more to fear. This is why it is so powerful.

Now, I do not mean for this to be an attack on all Christians everywhere. I direct this more towards members of the Catholic faith, in particular those whose faith is led by the Pope. Protestants, as well as those who have found Jesus on their own I don't particularly mind too much.

When I saw the news the other day, it showed the Pope emerging with arms spread to a crowd of thousands of faithful followers, ready to do whatever he commanded. I cannot speak for others, but when I saw that image I immediately thought to myself "this just isn't the way its supposed to be." Besides, if you put a black cloak on him and give him a lightsaber, he looks almost EXACTLY like Emperor Palpatine...

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   
All religions play on fear in one form or other. They play on the fear of the unknown by offering simple answers to hard questions, or they play on the fear of death, or the fear of being a social outcast, etc. Christianity is not unique in that sense.

You're right that humans are social animals. In any group of social animals, some are dominant and the others follow their lead. Keep in mind that historically, religion and state power were intertwined, each supporting the other. The leaders tell people what to believe, and the herd follows. Religion enhances the power of the state by threatening people with consequences not only in life, but even in death. A rebel who might might be willing to risk death to overthrow the king, will think twice if he thinks he'll suffer in hell forever as a result.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Christianity 'plays' on taking away ignorance and opening your eyes.
It points to the road signs that say 'Bridge is out"
It shows on a map, a narrow road, less traveled by the lemmings....it is the straight and narrow...few find it...even tho all are told about it and shown where it is.

All you have done is show your ignorance of Christ, and his followers. You choose not to find out what Jesus is really about...and choose to stay on the wide path.
thats your choice

As for me and my house, we will follow the Lord

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by jake1997
All you have done is show your ignorance of Christ, and his followers. You choose not to find out what Jesus is really about...and choose to stay on the wide path.
thats your choice

My friend, all you have done is shown your ignorance to generalize people critical of organized religions. I happen to have faith in Jesus as the avatar of the true Creator - just like other avatars before him. I just don't like what a lot of his followers have become. I have also come to not see the Bible as an infallable document. It is proven history that it has been revised by man many times throughout the ages, and I sometimes think it is an unfortunate event. That is why I have a personal relationship with said deity, rather than feeding my soul with the same slop that a lot of other people are fed.

If you want to be a sheep, that is your choice. I will lead my own life, and I'll be damned (pun intended) if I'll follow another's path.

Edit: That is to say, I have read the bible before, however I choose to interpret it as I deem worthy and while I respect others interpretations, I do not necessarily agree with them.

[edit on 24-7-2005 by Epocha]

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Christianity 'plays' on taking away ignorance and opening your eyes.

Simply claiming this, or endlessly calling it the truth, does not make it so. Present a compelling case, and what you say will have been vindicated.

But without such a case, Christianity goes in the same pile as every other religion.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Its not up to me to make the case for Christ or God. I told you about it, now you have to investigate for yourself. It is between you and God now.
No man convinced me. God did. No man presented a case to me that 'showed me the light'.
If you want to know...then look....ask..

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Its not up to me to make the case for Christ or God. I told you about it, now you have to investigate for yourself.

My investigation is complete. It's bunk.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by spamandham

Its not up to me to make the case for Christ or God. I told you about it, now you have to investigate for yourself.

My own extensive investigation yielded the same result.. I guess thats confirmation.

[edit on 24-7-2005 by riley]

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I'm sure I'll get whacked for this one:

Theist/Theosophist/Theologian:
God, blah, blah, blah, exist blah blah blah, in order to, blah blah, Bible blah blah,

blah, study blah blah, correlate, blah blah, prove blah blah blah. You have a

philosophy? Really! Get in line.

Atheist:
Blah, blah whatever blah, blah blah blah, doesn't matter, blah blah blah, doesn't

exist. You have a philosophy? So? Doesn't affect me.

Judaeo-Christian (contemporary):
Blah, blah Torah/Talmud says, blah, blah Bible (KJV) says, blah, blah Koran says, blah

blah blah scripture, God said, Jesus said, Allah said, blah blah blah, only way, blah

blah blah, Mohammed said, blah blah blah..
You have a philsophy? Well now, let's take a look at that puppy. Hmph! Doesn't appear to

be based on my beliefs! Must be wrong. You're going down the chute there to the "hot"

place, unless, of course, you convert. No? Too bad, you're lost. (Maybe I'll just speed

you along, for good measure).

Rationalist:
Reason, facts, analyze, determine, intelligence, free thought, deduction, knowledge,

evaluate, truth, freedom. You have a philosophy? Really? What's it based on? Why? Is

that really valid? Would you mind if we appied some logic & deductive reasoning to this

issue, so that we can determine the foundation of your belief? Oh, you don't like that?

Why not? Oh! You say it's because you have faith, and that trumps everything else.

Alrighty then. Have a nice life in the darkness of ignorance.

Spiritualist:
Balance, harmony, love, peace, tolerance, acceptance, unity, purity, discipline,

humility. You have a philosophy? That's wonderful! Does it involve killing, maiming,

persecution, or any of those other nasty human tendencies? No? Then, go with God,

brother/sister; see you on the other side/next time.

Agnostic:
Hmmm, I wonder sometimes. You have a philosophy? Hmmmm...I've always wondered about

philosophies.

The Lost:
Blah, blah, you're stupid, blah, blah, that is bogus, blah, blah we're all pawns. You

have a philosophy? Who needs another stupid philosophy; they're all stupid & bogus. I

don't need anything, anyone, or any knowledge to decide what is best. (God, my life sux!

)

- Feel free to add any that I may have overlooked.

[edit on 24-7-2005 by Lordling]

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Spamandham your posts continue to be sensible and well thought-out, and you have earned a vote for Way Above from me.

No man convinced me. God did.

Jake may I ask how did God convince you?

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Spamandham your posts continue to be sensible and well thought-out, and you have earned a vote for Way Above from me

Ya know... I just couldnt help but read that in 'dales voice'. If I read your posts in dales voice, and attribute dales personality to you (I can immitate those 4 guys pretty good), then it all comes together.

I can lay out the whole testimony if there is ever a section created for that kind of post. Right now all we have is places where christians should post so its easier to find and bash. But sure... if ever that place appears.. I'll give you the start to finish

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 07:23 AM
link   

I can lay out the whole testimony if there is ever a section created for that kind of post. Right now all we have is places where christians should post so its easier to find and bash.

Why are many chruches actually bashing themselves from the podium and convincing their congregations that it is others that are doing it?

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by riley

My own extensive investigation yielded the same result.. I guess thats confirmation.

If that's how hard you're going to try to find God, then it is no wonder that you haven't found Him.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

If that's how hard you're going to try to find God, then it is no wonder that you haven't found Him.

I've wasted the better part of 40 years looking for this imaginary friend. Why does it not surprise me that you simply assume those who don't sit next to you in church have not undertaken a serious search?

I'm sure you don't mean it this way since you seem like a pretty nice person, but statements that assume what's going on in the hearts and minds of others come across as arrogant and insulting.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Philosophers have spent lifetimes trying to answer this question. Generally, the sentament at the end of their worldly journey is they've spent their whole lives trying to find knowlege. All they learned through that lifetime is that they know nothing. Maybe a book is in order, something that will blow the socks off of all philosophy if both of you have gained the answer so many others have saught for so long. Also, I think another branch of science may be in order, too, as there is none currently that can say so hands down God is a myth as you just have.

40 years is a long time. I could say I'd been searching for 22 years before I found God, but I really wasn't. I didn't spend every minute of every day trying to figure this God thing out. It was easier to ignore or dismiss him, which is exactly what I did. If you spent every waking moment contemplating God's existance and role in the world, I appologize for these remarks, but I don't think you have. From reading what you're written, you'd already made up your mind before coming here. I'm guessing you, too, made a snap decision to just dismiss it as fable for the weak of mind, and ignore it all together, unless one of them ignorant Christians needs to have their eyes opened (my words, from about 7 years ago).

I'm only saying this to possibly open your eyes to a self delusion I see in you that I had myself. This isn't meant as an attack or to hurt or belittle. I just want you to step back and really ask yourself, not us, not aloud, but in your mind, ask yourself, why am I so sure there is no God?

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Spamandham has already basically covered my opinion.. I do agree it's pretty rude to assume I have not undertaken a serious spiritual journey because I have not found YOUR answer.. so of course you assume I have found the wrong one despite not having walked in my shoes. What makes you an authority? Your username? A snide passive agressive remark designed to undermind my entire spirituality?

I found my own answer.. and it's not about paying homage to some absentee 'creator'.. it is about paying homage to the creation itself. The world would no doubt be in a much better state if others did the same.. instead of WARING over who is god's chosen.. we'd choose to love and accept eachother as all equal instead. To me.. whether or not god exists is irrelevent.. we definently do.

[edit on 25-7-2005 by riley]

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
why? Are you angry at me? Because I'm asking you to keep looking?

Both of you have a great opportunity to have your search facilitated, yet at every turn you choose to slap the hands that are trying to help. You are here for some reason. What is it?

[edit on 25-7-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   

why? Are you angry at me? Because I'm asking you to keep looking?

Because you assume that you have the answers I seek when you could only be ignorant of the questions.. you are not a spiritual authority and certainly have no grounds to conclude you are wiser than I am.

Both of you have a great opportunity to have your search facilitated, yet at every turn you choose to slap the hands that are trying to help.

I consider religion to be the most dangerous threat to humanity so trying to convert me into a 'christian soldier' would make me part of that threat. I could never be comfortable aiding humanity's own self distruction.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   

I'm sure you don't mean it this way since you seem like a pretty nice person, but statements that assume what's going on in the hearts and minds of others come across as arrogant and insulting.

I wonder if you realize: that observation works both ways?

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   

I consider religion to be the most dangerous threat to humanity so trying to convert me into a 'christian soldier' would make me part of that threat. I could never be comfortable aiding humanity's own self distruction.

The other way to take it, though, is as an opportunity to understand the reasonings behine your enemy's actions. You know you're not going to be converted, so why worry about that? Instead try to understand where we're coming from. That way, you could at least understand why we react the ways we generally do to things, and at most, you could understand how to educate us to know that which is false. Now, like you, I don't fear being converted away from Christianity back to my old secular self. Theological discussion is something I enjoy greatly, as, it would appear, you do, too. Otherwise you wouldn't be spending any time on this thread, you'd be chatting, debating and argueing on another subject you're passionate about. To almost quote Rowdy Roddy Piper, I came here to talk religion and chew bubblegum...And I'm all out of bubblegum.

new topics

top topics

<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join